As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Lord of Ultima: Farmville with Dragons! … and bacon

• Options
    TopiaTopia Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Ugh, the number of cities on Continent 52 is idiotic now.

They allow waaaaay too many people per continent.

Yea, and even continent 36 is getting fuller it's so annoying. Luckily I was blessed with a port-city so I'll be able to expand. Unfortunately that means people will want to attack me, too. Oh well.

I've taken out my first dragon, thats sweet. Raiding two dungeons right now, hopefully those go well.

Topia on
  • Options
    MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I got stuck on Server 3, Continent 3. It's kinda dead here.

Madpoet on
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Damn Continent 36. I feel so exposed!

Docshifty on
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Also, I have played way too many of these online strategy alliance time sink games. Star Kingdoms, Archmage. One about building a thriving business on Mars.

Archmage was the best.

Docshifty on
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    A word of warning:
    I reached the end of my safe time today. So I thought, let's plunder some inactive fools.
    I scouted the nearest dude to me. He had 31k of each resource, an L5 town hall, a L3 barracks (So thought, inactive and not plundered for a while).
    He also scouted as having 10 guardsmen and 1.71 billion berserkers. I thought that it'd be either a scouting bug or a feature (if you only send a few scouts you get misjudges, or it's just borked).
    I sent an army of ~500 dudes (300 berserkers, a few mages, warlocks, paladins, crossbowmen, rangers).

They got slaughtered to a man. I didn't get a full combat report (because everyone was dead), but my kill achievements made it clear I killed about 700manz, way more then his land should've been able to hold.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Ahahaha, wow, a trap indeed.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SelectaSelecta Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    SanderJK wrote: »
    A word of warning:
    I reached the end of my safe time today. So I thought, let's plunder some inactive fools.
    I scouted the nearest dude to me. He had 31k of each resource, an L5 town hall, a L3 barracks (So thought, inactive and not plundered for a while).
    He also scouted as having 10 guardsmen and 1.71 billion berserkers. I thought that it'd be either a scouting bug or a feature (if you only send a few scouts you get misjudges, or it's just borked).
    I sent an army of ~500 dudes (300 berserkers, a few mages, warlocks, paladins, crossbowmen, rangers).

They got slaughtered to a man. I didn't get a full combat report (because everyone was dead), but my kill achievements made it clear I killed about 700manz, way more then his land should've been able to hold.

Maybe that's how the game protects cities still under the 7 day protection period. Or did that dude's city say it wasn't protected anymore?

Selecta on
    MNWGRdm.png
    PSN: Hellcore- Steam MWO: Hellcore
  • Options
    Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    A word of warning:

Man what?

1.71 billion berserkers? Is that an exaggeration?

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Lord Jezo wrote: »
    A word of warning:

Man what?

No... actually I was doing it from memory. The exact number 17949672... I'm not sure what the exact number is due to that.

He's also not protected, that shows up as a red text when hovering over a city.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I wish they'd make it so your build queue was equal to your city level.

That would be super cool.

Also, I don't think I ever got it answered but is level 10 the hard cap on buildings?

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Yes

captaink on
  • Options
    FloowidFloowid Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Topia wrote: »
    Floowid wrote: »
    Having finally cancelled my WOW account, I need something to fill the hours. This might do it. I'm on world 3 continent 36, if anyone else is hanging out there. Too bad you can't choose your continent, it would help a lot with groups of people who want to play together... oh well.

sup world 3, continent 36 here. Holton is my name, whats yours?

Name in game is also Floowid. I'll look out for you tonight. I still haven't joined any alliances.

Floowid on
  • Options
    Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I wish they'd make it so your build queue was equal to your city level.

That would be super cool.

Pfft.. then how could they sell you a minister to increase the building queue?

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    DizzenDizzen Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Was about to send out some friend invites when I realized I never posted my moniker in the thread. So yeah, if you happen to get a friend invite from Saiph, that's just me populating my Social page.

Dizzen on
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Invisible wrote: »
    Please invite Cylon13.

I still need an invite to an alliance.

Invisible on
  • Options
    MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Anyone interested in starting an alliance of castoffs and dregs that didn't get on the same island as everyone else? I don't know what use it would be but whatever.

Madpoet on
  • Options
    SkulkrakenSkulkraken Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Lord Jezo wrote: »
    A word of warning:

Man what?

No... actually I was doing it from memory. The exact number 17949672... I'm not sure what the exact number is due to that.

He's also not protected, that shows up as a red text when hovering over a city.

That could have been a bug... or it could have been a *lot* of allies who'd sent their troops there as reinforcement before he quit. Was he part of an alliance?

Skulkraken on
  • Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Please invite Cylon13.

I still need an invite to an alliance.

That's because you haven't posted what continent you're on.

SeñorAmor on
  • Options
    NoquarNoquar Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Do us continent 12 guys have one? I think there might just be two of us there, but I am not positive.

Noquar on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Judging from posts recently it really sounds like folks are just being thrown every which way now.

Making continent-only alliances isn't going to fly much longer.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    SonelanSonelan Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I pointed this out awhile ago herpes.

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    no u

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, trying to keep an alliance limited to just one continent is going to be too hard at this point. There's already dozens of continents, and more will probably end up being made as more people join. We should just establish one, single alliance for everyone.

Skulkraken on
  • Options
    SelectaSelecta Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Dizzen wrote: »
    Was about to send out some friend invites when I realized I never posted my moniker in the thread. So yeah, if you happen to get a friend invite from Saiph, that's just me populating my Social page.

Oh whoops, didn't know that was a PA duder. Resend if you'd like.

Selecta on
    MNWGRdm.png
    PSN: Hellcore- Steam MWO: Hellcore
  • Options
    TopiaTopia Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Continent 36'ers, World 3!
    Message me (Holton) if you want an alliance. I'm in one with a few pretty chill people, so if you want in I'll invite you.

Topia on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I made my first moonstone. Food is going to be a problem, going forward. I might have to redo some buildings into farms or something.

captaink on
  • Options
    SonelanSonelan Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So once my protection period is up i can be raided but not actually attacked until i build a castle right?

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    NoquarNoquar Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I believe that is correct Sonelan.

Anyhow, if someone is holding the keys to the bigger PA alliance invite Noquar please.

I need to get building on my army. All of my resources are over 1K an hour, but i'm coming up on the end of my safety real quick.

Noquar on
  • Options
    Ash-HousewaresAsh-Housewares TARDIS Hunter Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Sonelan wrote: »
    So once my protection period is up i can be raided but not actually attacked until i build a castle right?

I really hope so. I haven't invested into hideouts yet and I'm wide open currently. Thankfully, I usually don't have any resources on hand due to constant building.

Ash-Housewares on
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    OP needs a URL.

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Sonelan wrote: »

I really hope so. I haven't invested into hideouts yet and I'm wide open currently. Thankfully, I usually don't have any resources on hand due to constant building.

Even without a castle, you can still be Plundered. You just can't be Assaulted or Sieged, nor can you attack other players. And resources currently tied up by things in the building queue aren't safe.

According to the wiki and forum (none of this is first hand knowledge, I'm still inside the protection period), there are basically there are six attack options: Raid, Support, Plunder, Assault, Scout, and Siege.

Players without castles can only do two of them, Raid and Support. Raids are attacks against dungeons and dragons and such. Support is sending troops to another town to help defend it.

Players with castles can Scout and Plunder anyone, even folks without castles. Scout is when the person tries to spy on a town (can also just throw some scouts into a different attack to make that attack double as a Scout mission, I think). Success depends on how many scouts the attacker sends, how many scouts the defender has, and now many lookout towers the defender has. Plunder is just what it sounds like, attacker attacks a city, and if he wins, when he gets to take all the resources in the city that he can haul away (that aren't protected by hideouts).

Players with castles can Assault and Siege towns that have a castle in them. Assaults are single attacks on a city, meant to do damage to the city's defenses. Sieges are like Assaults, except they require siege weapons, continuously attack the city every hour, and the defender will completely lose the city to the attacker if the attacker is successful and has a baron in the attack force.

Dizzen on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Well if that's all the case; do the %'s from towers stack? Like some say "max 50%", if you have two at 50% does it neutralized that entire unit?

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited April 2010
    Well if that's all the case; do the %'s from towers stack? Like some say "max 50%", if you have two at 50% does it neutralized that entire unit?

Only a maximum of 50% of any category of unit can be neutralized with traps. So if I had a level one pitfall trap (neutralizes sixteen infantry), and someone attacked me with just twenty berserkers, only ten of them would be affected by the trap.

Dizzen on
  • Options
    sumwarsumwar Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I just started two days ago and I'm learning a lot, I'm re arranging buildings because of mistakes I've made. I'm wondering, when my seven days are up does anyone experienced think that I will be plundered immediately? I'm surrounded by people that started when I started, I'm just curious if plundering is common right away or do people wait a bit longer to get a stronger army?

sumwar on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Only a maximum of 50% of any category of unit can be neutralized with traps. So if I had a level one pitfall trap (neutralizes sixteen infantry), and someone attacked me with just twenty berserkers, only ten of them would be affected by the trap.

Well that's silly. Then there is no point to having more than one of most towers; yet there are a ton of tower spots. :(

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited April 2010

Well that's silly. Then there is no point to having more than one of most towers; yet there are a ton of tower spots. :(

Eh, maximum army sizes are pretty big in this game. A single level 10 barracks adds a thousand to maximum army size, and castles increase maximum army size by a percentage. So with multiple barracks and a castle, one could host quite a hefty horde.

Oh, and something I noticed yesterday is that while towers can be built on either wall, traps can only be built along the outer wall. Which kinda missed me up a little, as I had just been building wall stuff on the outer wall. Luckily I hadn't built much up, and hadn't come close to using up all sixteen spots on the outer wall, but it's definitely something to keep in mind.

Dizzen on
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

Maybe you can neutralize 50 percent of another infantry group? It's kinda unclear yea.

Or maybe each tower only does 50 percent.

So 100 becomes 50 with one (maxed) tower.

100 becomes 25 with 2 (maxed) towers?

Bigity on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    No.

If one tower is able to cut the enemy group down to 50% on its own, then other towers of the same type won't do anything. In any case, you'll need towers of several types to handle all the different units likely to be thrown at you. I plan on getting maybe 2-3 of each, with the rest going to lookout towers.

Skulkraken on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
  • Options
    ZooberZoober Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Can I get an Alliance invite? Zoober on world 3

Zoober on
    ~Blarg