As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Apps] iphone, ipod, ipad - Lets talk about Apps!

13»

• Options
    RothgarrRothgarr Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The new design is so much nicer. My 3G version is too... clamshell. Very lady-like. The new version looks more masculine.

I really do hope they separate the volume buttons like that. The rocker-style on my 3G model is such garbage.

Rothgarr on
  • Options
    TethTeth __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    I've had my new iPad for a few days (of actually using it). Watching movies at work on the large screen is great, and taking a shit while playing Plants vs Zombies or Scrabble also rules. But I am starting to question my $600+ purchase (accessories), because I used to do all of this with my iPhone + netbook.

I honestly think I'm going to give this to my pal for his birthday and buy a 3G model later. I just cashed in 40 hours of unused vacation time, which is like 5 iPads, so I can do without one for a week or two.

Edit: oops about 2.9 iPads. Jesus I thought I got paid twice as much for a second there

Teth on
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Rothgarr wrote: »
    The new design is so much nicer. My 3G version is too... clamshell. Very lady-like. The new version looks more masculine.

I guess? I dunno, it's not really grabbing me. I'm content to wait for whatever comes out next year.

Fats on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    RE: iPhone design; I love it, not just because it's not the old one but also because I like aluminium and black as a colour scheme far more than I like chrome and black (or white, which is actually worse).

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Given Apple's track record, does this mean the guy who flashed the phone has likely already been "sanitized"?

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    As in, drowned in Steve's personal vat of hand-sanitizer?

I reckon it means a "Day -100" OS crack, personally...

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I don't quite get what a hardware leak has to do with a software crack...

That being said, the iPhone dev team has already figured out how to jailbreak the 4.0 beta. The process is a pain in the ass, and not all current jailbroken apps work with it, but if you have access to the beta firmware it's currently possible to run a jailbroken copy of OS4.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    iPhone and iTunes and iPhone ipod interface is garbage.

Garbage!

Why does it insist on playing the same podcast over and over again despite the fact that I keep skipping to the appropriate podcast.

Why does it refuse to play perfectly workable mp3s?

Stupid thing.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    FuzzFuzz Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So, I've been playing Chaos Rings lately.. It's a bit expensive, but it is a full-fledged game. It's the first iDevice game that I actually expect to "finish;" reminds me of Chrono Cross.

Fuzz on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I found a lovely little app called App Miner that presents search-able categorized lists of apps that are on sale. You can view all apps that are normally paid apps but are currently free, or all apps that are still paid apps but on sale for a reduced price. I've scored a couple enjoyable games by browsing through the list of free apps once in a while.

Very handy app.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Erandus wrote: »
    I found a lovely little app called App Miner that presents search-able categorized lists of apps that are on sale. You can view all apps that are normally paid apps but are currently free, or all apps that are still paid apps but on sale for a reduced price. I've scored a couple enjoyable games by browsing through the list of free apps once in a while.

Very handy app.
    Need to find an app for something quickly but can't stand our stupid lazy storefront? There's an app for that.

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Erandus wrote: »

Very handy app.
    Need to find an app for something quickly but can't stand our stupid lazy storefront? There's an app for that.

Ironically yes, it is an app used for finding other apps. Thats one thing that annoys me about the state of apps on the iphone. Sifting through the 90 thousand complete crap apps to find a gem here or there is real hit and miss.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Fuzz wrote: »
    So, I've been playing Chaos Rings lately.. It's a bit expensive, but it is a full-fledged game. It's the first iDevice game that I actually expect to "finish;" reminds me of Chrono Cross.

my only problem with it is that new weapons/armor don't show on your characters
    but then i look at the awesome environments and it's okay

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    FuzzFuzz Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Fuzz wrote: »

my only problem with it is that new weapons/armor don't show on your characters
    but then i look at the awesome environments and it's okay

I just beat it the first time last night. My only complaint really is the map system can be confusing. The story is surprisingly dark, and while I started off not really giving a shit about the characters, by the end I was kinda into them.

I read a lot about there being a huge difficulty curve.. but by halfway through I was pretty much kicking the shit out of everything. And New Game + yay!

I think you have to play through like 8 times to unlock everything, which is neat.

Fuzz on
  • Options
    colawarscolawars Pittsburgh, PARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    There isn't a general iPhone thread to post this in, but I've encountered an annoying issue with the downloading of apps on my friend's iPhone. This happens on both his old 2G and current 3G phones, and it's only when downloading free apps, because he's too cheap to pay for any paid apps. Anyways, when I go to click on the "FREE" button to download the app, it changes into "INSTALL." I'll click on install, the button changes back to free, over and over again. I've tried to pause between clicks, wait 10-15 seconds, etc. only to have it repeat between free and install at least 5-10 times before it takes. I've downloaded enough apps to fill a few pages, and only once have I ever seen it work correctly the first time. I forget when the password prompt comes up, but it's completely unrelated as far as I can tell. Apps still do the same thing after the password is entered and within it's timeout period.

Am I the only one experiencing this aggravation on two different phones? Is there some sort of functionality I'm missing? As an Android user, the app install process is annoying as well, but at least a password isn't necessary and the prompts are somewhat useful.

colawars on
    3DS: 1049-1266-2726
  • Options
    MarioGMarioG Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Didn't bother to check if it's been mentioned but Fieldrunners is a great Tower Defense game.

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:
    Mario, if Slenderman had a face, I would punch him in it.

Hey, I have a blog! (Actually being updated again!)

3DS: 0860-3240-2604
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    colawars wrote: »
    There isn't a general iPhone thread to post this in, but I've encountered an annoying issue with the downloading of apps on my friend's iPhone. This happens on both his old 2G and current 3G phones, and it's only when downloading free apps, because he's too cheap to pay for any paid apps. Anyways, when I go to click on the "FREE" button to download the app, it changes into "INSTALL." I'll click on install, the button changes back to free, over and over again. I've tried to pause between clicks, wait 10-15 seconds, etc. only to have it repeat between free and install at least 5-10 times before it takes. I've downloaded enough apps to fill a few pages, and only once have I ever seen it work correctly the first time. I forget when the password prompt comes up, but it's completely unrelated as far as I can tell. Apps still do the same thing after the password is entered and within it's timeout period.

Am I the only one experiencing this aggravation on two different phones? Is there some sort of functionality I'm missing? As an Android user, the app install process is annoying as well, but at least a password isn't necessary and the prompts are somewhat useful.

Yeah, when I play with my father's itouch I hit the same issue. I don't play with it often enough to have bothered to figure out what is going on, though

Evander on
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2010
    I've had it happen to me before, but it's the exception, not the rule. I've usually just attributed it to some kind of network bug since it's fixed itself the few times it has happened

Monoxide on
  • Options
    HoundxHoundx Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You just need to wait a sec before pushing install. I freaking hate that.

Houndx on
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2010
    Houndx wrote: »
    You just need to wait a sec before pushing install. I freaking hate that.

Well, I think he's talking about it happening even when you do wait a second.

The wait period is there so you don't accidentally purchase things by tapping on it quickly.

Monoxide on