As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[STEAM] Now for Mac - Launch with 63 Games

SudsSuds Registered User regular
edited May 2010 in Games and Technology
steamlogom.png
20041015h.jpg

Most Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can I register this __Insert Game Here__ on Steam?

Here's a list of games you can register on Steam. You can always add a non-Steam game to your Steam games list, so that people can see you playing it.

2. If I buy a game pack that already includes a game I own, can I gift that game?

No, this was a one-time thing for people who already owned Half-Life 2 and bought the Orange Box. Additional copies you own are lost forever to the ether.

3. Why isn't __Insert Game Here__ available in my region?

Many Steam games might be unavailable in your country if you have the temerity to live outside of the United States. This is not Steam's fault. Regional game availability is determined solely by the publisher, who should be the source of your ire. Gifting works regardless of region so you might find some helpful person in North America who can gift you the game.

Helpful Stuff
AUSTRALIANS!!!!

You need this program.

It reconfigures your Windows IPSEC settings (run it as an admin) to block out all but the servers which don't count towards your download quota on Steam. Now supports a bunch of ISPs through a graphical interface.

Basically guarantees you won't add to your download quota with Steam.

Ampix wrote: »
LaCabra wrote: »
150KB/s :(

Download TCPview: TCPView

Then, use TCPview (run as admin if you're on Vista) to close all Steam TCP servers (this is important, NOT the UDP ones, just the TCP ones). Steam will then reconnect to a different server, which will hopefully get you a better speed. If you don't go faster in a couple of seconds, retry until you get a speed you like.

This shit totally needs to go into the OP, I've tipped this to so many people already.

Cool Community Add-Ons
Steam Signatures
With such a cool service, someone must have done some extra things to build on it. The forums have one such man, who made some super cool Steam signatures. Suds is his name and killing is his game. Except for the killing. The signatures automatically use backgrounds for the games and the correct icon. Pretty neat, and they're 100% free!

Sample signature:
camo_sig2.png

Steam Calculator
You can also use a script on his Steam Calculator page to see how much your Steam account would be worth if you had taken advantage of some obscure, arcane combination of special deals that nobody could ever have taken advantage of. Or something sort of like that.

Steam Sales Tracker
You might want to add this page to the steam links section - a complete sortable list of every game on steam, the metacritic score, and if its on sale, the % its discounted by. Yes. http://steam.addhawk.net/[/QUOTE]

The Mis-Adventures of LewieP
As funny as the following comic is, LewieP does spend a lot of time looking for bargains, for us.
steamopedit.jpg

adventureoflewiep.jpg

camo_sig2.png
Suds on

• ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So it doesn't get buried, whom here might be willing to gift me L4D2 and I can pay them through paypal tomorrow, or better is there someone who has started a 4-pack and needs another?

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Just to add to the last conversation, sales can end early if they run out of keys as well, for the record.

I'd help ya out, Art, but I bought mine for half off by myself back in the day.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    edited April 2010
    Would owning it already disallow you from gifting it to someone else at the reduced price?

Arthil on
  • HawkHawk ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    At this rate, the Steam thread will be redone every 2 pages...

Hawk on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Hawk wrote: »

What? Why?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Drunk_caterpillarDrunk_caterpillar Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I am excited for the official OSX release. I guess I could go download the beta somewhere if I wanted to, but I'd really rather just wait and use Crossover for now, even if it is a massive pain in the balls. Can't wait to load up Half-Life 1 and go through the tram sequence, revelling in the fact that I've waited almost ten years for a native code Half-Life to run on my mac(s).

Not that I haven't played Valve's games on other computers, but I want to play them on this one damnit! :-)

Drunk_caterpillar on
    edited April 2010
    Am really hoping someone will be willing to do that, or whom has started themselves a 4-pack. Otherwise I'm kind of fucked on taking advantage of the deal.

Arthil on
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Somone send me a better amd processor and a temp copy of vista home so I can tap the power of GTAIV multiplayer. I actually got booted for having to slow of a computer.

RoyceSraphim on
  • XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So guys, I have this non-Steam game. Will it register on Steam? Yes/No?

Xtarath on
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Xtarath wrote: »
    So guys, I have this non-Steam game. Will it register on Steam? Yes/No?

Sure.
    Mail the cd to Gabe Newell.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Mail it to me and I will register it.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Non-Steam game? What madness is this?

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2010
    Spoit wrote: »

What? Why?

Last thread stopped at 98, then 96, 94, so on - so forth.

Hawk on
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Slim's afraid I'll steal the Thread King crown back.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So. Just Cause 2...

The demo alone is such an amazing source of fun, although it seems the game might be unbalanced... Especially once I started jacking military helis by taking out the SAM's with miniguns and then taking off.

I wish I could afford it. The second it goes on sale it will be mine.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Everyone should play Winterbottom.

I can feel my brain gradually heating up with each passing puzzle, and at some point there's going to be a meltdown. :D

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Everyone should play Winterbottom.
    Indubitably!

Only a buttwit would doubt its savory succelence!

Haberdashery!

Monger on
  • MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Is the new UI worth it? And when is it out for real.

Movitz on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Movitz wrote: »

The new UI is a big improvement. It'll be out today. If you download the beta now, you won't have to download it when it gets pushed out to everyone else when the servers might be hammered.

Peewi on
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    In Steam related news (this being the Steam thread and all), they're apparently going to bring all the Oddworld games to Steam. There's already the 2D ones, but this would include the (apparently) horrible Munch's Oddysee and Stranger's Wrath, which looked neat back then.

reVerse on
  • AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Arthil wrote: »
    Would owning it already disallow you from gifting it to someone else at the reduced price?

You can always gift it at 20 USD, but if you want to buy a 4pack you can't already own the game (4 packs always buy the game for yourself + 3 gifts).

Alegis on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I am excited for the official OSX release. I guess I could go download the beta somewhere if I wanted to, but I'd really rather just wait and use Crossover for now, even if it is a massive pain in the balls. Can't wait to load up Half-Life 1 and go through the tram sequence, revelling in the fact that I've waited almost ten years for a native code Half-Life to run on my mac(s).

Not that I haven't played Valve's games on other computers, but I want to play them on this one damnit! :-)

I haven't seen a definitive list of what games are going to be ported, so I wouldn't get your hopes up for HL1. That said, hopefully Valve will include Half-Life: Source.

Undead Scottsman on
  • IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I like the new UI as well. Very sleek. It has been a while since they updated, and theres never been a visual update this drastic.

Icemopper on
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    When does the Modern Warfare 1 sale end?

Rizzi on
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    When the weekend* ends.

*Valve time.

reVerse on
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Athenor wrote: »
    So. Just Cause 2...

The demo alone is such an amazing source of fun, although it seems the game might be unbalanced... Especially once I started jacking military helis by taking out the SAM's with miniguns and then taking off.

I wish I could afford it. The second it goes on sale it will be mine.

This, this so hard.

Tamin on
  • Michael HMichael H Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Icemopper wrote: »
    I like the new UI as well. Very sleek. It has been a while since they updated, and theres never been a visual update this drastic.

My only beef with the new UI (I love it to death otherwise) is that the Grid View of my games always takes a day and a half to populate all of the gorgeous pictures. Is it redownloading these images every time I fire up Grid View? You would think that once they were local they would pop up more quickly.

Michael H on
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Michael H wrote: »

My only beef with the new UI (I love it to death otherwise) is that the Grid View of my games always takes a day and a half to populate all of the gorgeous pictures. Is it redownloading these images every time I fire up Grid View? You would think that once they were local they would pop up more quickly.

That's true. And a good thing it's your major complaint too :)

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    edited April 2010
    So when are we starting Steamaholics Anonymous?

Hawk on
  • Michael HMichael H Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Michael H wrote: »

That's true. And a good thing it's your major complaint too :)

Maybe it's just a sign that I have too many games.

Michael H on
  • SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So when are we starting Steamaholics Anonymous?

None of us want to admit we have a problem. You're on your own.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited April 2010
    Peewi wrote: »

The new UI is a big improvement. It'll be out today. If you download the beta now, you won't have to download it when it gets pushed out to everyone else when the servers might be hammered.

Ok, you have a point there. So I downloaded it

Yeah so it's all pretty and stuff. But I cannot for the life of me figure out how to punch in web addresses. Can someone help me?

Movitz on
  • AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    That's in the overlay (shift + tab when in-game). At the bottom there's a link open web browser.

Alegis on
  • BiopticBioptic Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    reVerse wrote: »
    In Steam related news (this being the Steam thread and all), they're apparently going to bring all the Oddworld games to Steam. There's already the 2D ones, but this would include the (apparently) horrible Munch's Oddysee and Stranger's Wrath, which looked neat back then.

Game developers live up to original vague fan-pleasing promises shocker!

When they first stuck them on Steam, they made a statement to the effect that if the first 2 sold well enough, they'd port them to PC and release on Steam. Evidently, they did.

The craziest part of this is the fact that no PC ports of either of these games exist, so this may be possibly the most delayed port job of all time - Wiki tells me that Munch was released back in 2001! This is rather like Jordan Mechner announcing a stunningly faithful port of the original Prince of Persia in 1999. Of course...

Bioptic on
  • TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Bioptic wrote: »
    This is rather like Jordan Mechner announcing a stunningly faithful port of the original Prince of Persia in 1999. Of course...

Or maybe 2007...?

TetraNitroCubane on
    VuIBhrs.png
    edited April 2010
    Alegis wrote: »
    That's in the overlay (shift + tab when in-game). At the bottom there's a link open web browser.

But there is none when you're not ingame?

EDIT: To clarify. When I go to community or store or whatever I can see the goddamn address in a position where I'd expect an address bar to be, but I can't edit it.

Movitz on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Alegis wrote: »

But there is none when you're not ingame?

EDIT: To clarify. When I go to community or store or whatever I can see the goddamn address in a position where I'd expect an address bar to be, but I can't edit it.

Why would you want to use the main Steam window as a web browser? You have an actual web browser for that. The address bars are so you can copy the address and link to people or other stuff.

Peewi on
  • ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Is there anything I need to play inbetween Half-Life:Source and Half-Life 2 plot wise?

Also, How would I go about getting an invite to the giant PA steam group?

Zerokku on
    edited April 2010

I haven't seen a definitive list of what games are going to be ported, so I wouldn't get your hopes up for HL1. That said, hopefully Valve will include Half-Life: Source.

Yeah, Half-Life: Source is what I was thinking and I can't imagine them not porting that over when the engine and all the accompanying Source engine games are coming too. If not, well, I guess I've got crossover if need be...

Drunk_caterpillar on
    edited April 2010
    Zerokku wrote: »
    Is there anything I need to play inbetween Half-Life:Source and Half-Life 2 plot wise?

Also, How would I go about getting an invite to the giant PA steam group?

Opposing Force and Blue Shift, but they only work with the original release of HL1. Also, it's really open to debate if they're official canon or whatnot, although they are pretty fun.

Drunk_caterpillar on