As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[GAME ON] WARMACHINE & HORDES Mk II: Gencon is upon us! Primal Mk II is out!

• JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Let's make even rolling to hit and damage optional and just have a "take seven" rule!

JohnnyCache on
  • mightyspacepopemightyspacepope Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I just learned that you can use Wrongeye and Snapjaw in a Four Star Merc list.

I'm now kicking myself for selling my merc jacks.

mightyspacepope on
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Confirming player list for the tournament

Rend
    * Eterenal
    Zellpher
    * Sepulcher
    * OtakuD00D
    * Valhalla
    * jackisreal
    * Karilmat
    Rainfall
    Plutonium
    * JohnnyCache
    * Carnarvon

I'm checking in for Eterenal, who's currently on his honeymoon. Otherwise, please confirm your participation. If you're not on the list and want to be, say so.

admanb on
  • JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    admanb wrote: »
    Confirming player list for the tournament

Rend
    * Eterenal
    Zellpher
    Sepulcher
    OtakuD00D
    Valhalla
    jackisreal
    Karilmat
    Rainfall
    Plutonium

I'm checking in for Eterenal, who's currently on his honeymoon. Otherwise, please confirm your participation. If you're not on the list and want to be, say so.

It's one game a week, free form scheduled? I'll sign up for that.

JohnnyCache on
    edited April 2010
    Yup. Edited in.

admanb on
  • jackisrealjackisreal Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'd love a little more info on the specifics, like--

-what's the format, single elimination? Just wondering the approximate date this thing would have its finale.
    -Scenarios, or just caster kill?
    -stick with the same 2/3 lists, or freeform?
    -any set points level?

And my 2 cents are that the final match should be announced ahead of time if possible so we can all watch and bet nerd points on the victor.

jackisreal on
    edited April 2010
    35 points. No bracket. Pairings are matched by record (winners play winners and so on). Number of rounds depends on the number of players (how many it takes to leave one undefeated player). Two lists with two different casters. I'm not sure about scenario yet; it'll either be caster kill or a combination of Kill Box, Overrun, and Outflank (from SR2010).

All scheduling will be up to the players, but the time of the final match (and possibly the big semi-finals) must be announced at least 12 hours in advance.

admanb on
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    PMAvers wrote: »
    After tonight's tournament (something like 20-odd people), I have one thing to say.

FUCK TROLLBLOODS

Got locked out from the scenario CP's first turn by Grissel's feat and the cavalry unit. They were up in melee with my AD line first turn, and a bunch of tough rolls later wasn't able to push through past that wall of ass to actually get to the point.

You didn't have anything in your army that could go through or around them? Maybe I'm just spoiled by cryx.

The terrain set-up was really what sealed the deal, since I basically had one of two choke points I could go through, and they flooded both. (One had the Long riders, or whatever the cav's called, and the other had a metric buttload of normal troll infantry in it... think it was Champions? Forget.)

Plus, I was playing a fairly infantry-heavy list that time, and they just couldn't maneuver.

Steamroller lessons learned:

-10-minute rounds for 50-points is a pain in the ass. Ran out of time *twice* in one game.

-Don't play infantry-heavy unless you can play it fast. You're going to be rushed for time, and probably won't be able to do it right... and losing half of your unit's activations sucks donkey balls.

-You remember the TF2 PA comic about shooting the medic first? Do that, except to Tartarsauce. Fuck that dude. Probably lost my last game because the MHSF melee'd (lol wut) the unit down at least 1.5 times, and he kept on resurrecting enough of them so that they counted fully in the tiebreaker.

-Power-boosted Manticores with the strength buff trampling on Vyros' feat turn is hi-larious. :winky:

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    edited April 2010
    Timed turns is a whole new ballgame. The worst I've ever done is 12 minutes + a five minute extension for 50.

Hardcore is seven minutes. Seven.

admanb on
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, time extensions are gold. Gotta love 'em.

Of course, there was a previous tournament where I was thinking, "Oh, man, out of time, I should probably save my extension for a later turn in case I need it."

NO.

You'll have less dudes alive later, ergo your turns should go faster. Use the damn thing.

Oh, yeah, forgot that the trampling Manticore had Mobility on it, too.

I feel bad for those Flameguard who got caught in front of it... wait, no I don't. :3

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    edited April 2010
    Warmachine games rarely last more than four turns and armies disintegrate fast. You usually have one big turn with 70-100% of your army (turn two or three, depending on who went first and the speed of your army) which is when you should use the extension. Even big assassination runs should only require an extension if 70%+ of your army is involved in the run.

Otherwise, it's just a matter of practice, practice, practice.

admanb on
  • CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    !I'll totally be in the tournament.

Carnarvon on
    edited April 2010
    admanb wrote: »
    35 points. No bracket. Pairings are matched by record (winners play winners and so on). Number of rounds depends on the number of players (how many it takes to leave one undefeated player). Two lists with two different casters. I'm not sure about scenario yet; it'll either be caster kill or a combination of Kill Box, Overrun, and Outflank (from SR2010).

All scheduling will be up to the players, but the time of the final match (and possibly the big semi-finals) must be announced at least 12 hours in advance.

What's SR 2010?

JohnnyCache on
    edited April 2010
    admanb on
  • ValhallaValhalla Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'll be in on the tourney.

Edited to reflect my weakness to peer pressure, and my true kolor!

Valhalla on
    wtf.jpg
  • PlutoniumPlutonium Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I feel like testing out a new list. Anyone for 35 points?

Plutonium on
  • OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    !I'm totally signing up for the tournament.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • KarilmatKarilmat Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm still in for the tourney. I'll be playing Protetorate.

I'm still trying to figure out Vassal; been watching a few games here and there, but haven't had a chance to play yet. I'll try to get a game or two in before the tourney starts to get a feel for it.

I guess it's not surprising that Vassal games take WAY longer. Is there going to be a set number of rounds? I'm not too keen on timing rounds; the medium doesn't seem to make it easy to go quickly.

Karilmat on
  • jackisrealjackisreal Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Does Ashlynn's feat work on enemy models?

jackisreal on
  • DragonPupDragonPup Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Yes, all models in her control area.

DragonPup on
    "I was there, I was there, the day Horus slew the Emperor." -Cpt Garviel Loken

Currently painting: Slowly [flickr]
  • CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    jackisreal wrote: »

Wow, I just looked at Ashlynn's new rules. She is a motherfucker now.

Carnarvon on
    edited April 2010
    Yeah her feat was just good in my mind till I realized ALL models in her cntrl are affected. Then it was like... "WOW".

Lol. Anyhow, Adam, for the tourney. Are we doing classic style and each bringing 2 lists of 35 points from the same faction?

Cause I'm working on the lists I plan on using, and I realized, if were only bringing 1 list thats going to change who I bring compared to bringing 2.

Valhalla on
    wtf.jpg
    edited April 2010
    Two lists.

admanb on
    edited April 2010
    Awesome thanks :)

Valhalla on
    wtf.jpg
  • DragonPupDragonPup Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Carnarvon wrote: »

She seems to work well with Mules on her feat turn to give them a high crit chance for their critical effect on their cannons.

DragonPup on
    "I was there, I was there, the day Horus slew the Emperor." -Cpt Garviel Loken

Currently painting: Slowly [flickr]
  • General NemoGeneral Nemo The Mighty Shame Church for DogsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Re: Ashlynn
    Forge Guard and Quicken + Feat = Hatehatehatehate

General Nemo on
    edited April 2010
    DragonPup wrote: »
    Carnarvon wrote: »

She seems to work well with Mules on her feat turn to give them a high crit chance for their critical effect on their cannons.

Put the Mule on gun mages, use the marshal to boost attack roll, fire a snipe shot for RNG16 AoE4 (almost) guaranteed devastation.

admanb on
  • RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So, since my blue swan leanings are slowly shifting towards Everblight, I am ecstatic.

Why? Oh, just because our new beast got previewed, stats-wise. It's exactly what Legion needs, and that makes me happy.
    scytheanpagesml.jpg

Also awesome is the fact that MERCENARIES WON NIGHTFALL! Seriously how cool is that?

Rainfall on
    edited April 2010
    Rainfall wrote: »
    So, since my blue swan leanings are slowly shifting towards Everblight, I am ecstatic.

Why? Oh, just because our new beast got previewed, stats-wise. It's exactly what Legion needs, and that makes me happy.
    scytheanpage_sml.jpg

Also awesome is the fact that MERCENARIES WON NIGHTFALL! Seriously how cool is that?

That is a badass red X. :P

admanb on
    edited April 2010
    Well it shows for me. I'll rehost it.

Edit: Done

Rainfall on
    edited April 2010
    ARM18, 30 boxes, six (potentially seven) P+S17 attacks with 11" threat for 9 points.

Looks like PP heard the cries for help against Warmachine. :) I bet the Stalker will be similarly focused.

admanb on
  • SepulcherSepulcher Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm glad it doesn't have a spray/assault. Good rules, IMO.

I'm still in the tourney - if we need more of a certain faction I can switch it up just to keep it fun, let me know. And are the "league games" done now then? Or should we keep reporting them here?

Sepulcher on
  • KarilmatKarilmat Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    That's pretty solid for 9 points. Basically a Carnivean Lite. It will eat through almost anything other than Khador heavies pretty easily in a single round.

I'm liking all of the Legion heavies. I can see fielding a Saeryn army of all heavy beasts (plus some Fury management and support). Typhon and Carniveans can deal with infantry, Angelius...es and Scytheans deal with beasts/jacks. Breath Stealer can lower defense enough so everything can hit, and you can really maximize the feat turn with all those beasts. Something crazy like this at 75 points:

Saeryn
    2 x Angelius
    2 x Scythean
    2 x Carnivean
    Typhon
    Farrow Bone Grinders (full)
    2 x Shepherd
    2 x Forsaken
    Swamp Gobbers

Could be fun.

Karilmat on
    edited April 2010
    Even a Khador heavy is going to take some 28 average damage in a round from a Scythean. A (free)charge puts it up to 31/32, so if it's dinged at all, the Scythean is going to be picking metal bits out of its teeth.

Rainfall on
    edited April 2010
    Sepulcher wrote: »
    I'm glad it doesn't have a spray/assault. Good rules, IMO.

I'm still in the tourney - if we need more of a certain faction I can switch it up just to keep it fun, let me know. And are the "league games" done now then? Or should we keep reporting them here?

I'm going to suspend the league, for now. It accomplished its objective of getting people to arrange VASSAL games through this thread, and I want to focus on the tournament. I think when the tournament's over I'll start a new phase of the league.

Still looking for a few confirmations. You guys still in?

Rend
    Zellpher
    * Rainfall
    * Plutonium

To everybody: you can PM me your lists any time. 35 points, two lists with two casters (Prime and Epic count as different casters), no restrictions or requirements for using each list, plan for zone control scenarios as well as Kill Box.

My current spreadsheet has the faction assortment as follows: 3 Khador, 2 Cygnar, 2 Menoth, 1 Cryx, 1 Troll. But that's missing some players, so play whatever you want.

admanb on
  • OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Do both lists have to be the same faction? :p

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
    edited April 2010
    I'm still in, but you might as well put me down for Legion, just to get some cross-faction representation going.

Rainfall on
    edited April 2010
    hm Zone control. That messes with my evil plans. Have to rethink my pButcher solo spam then. Lol.

Valhalla on
    wtf.jpg
    edited April 2010
    Or do you? Dun dun dunn.

Rainfall on
    edited April 2010
    OtakuD00D wrote: »
    Do both lists have to be the same faction? :p

I almost wrote, "two lists, one faction, two casters." But then I thought, naaaah no one will be confused by that.

I'm putting you on the list.

admanb on