As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Router stops working all of a sudden

ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
It's a Linksys WRT54GC and it just stopped working as intended. It still broadcasts the wireless network and I can access its internal page, I just can't connect to anything else.

I've already tried using different cables, with and without a Switch, etc.. I also updated the firmware and did a reset but to no avail, the behavior is still the same. I've also tried several different security layers, from unprotected to WPA and WPA2 but it just refuses to work. :?

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can fix this? I've had this router for almost 3 years now, and this is the first problem I've ever had with it.

Impersonator on

• Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So you can't access other stuff on the LAN? Is that the problem?

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Other stuff as in the internet itself, the only thing I can access is the router's internal page.

Impersonator on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Do you have any other computers that can live on the LAN? Well, it's probably not that, anyway.

Does plugging in directly work (skipping the router)?

We need to figure out where the problem is. :)

End on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Yes, if I skip the router entirely I can get internet access. That's how I'm on the forums right now. I have a modem, that's connected to a Switch, which in turn is connected to my desktop computer and my wireless router.

I've already tried skipping the Switch as well.

Impersonator on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Is the router getting an ip address at all? It may be worthwhile to trying telling it to refresh if it isn't. I forget how things are laid out, but it's probably under status somewhere. Might say something about dhcp, but you don't care about where it talks about the dhcp server.

Edit: I'm going home for the day soon, just so you know.

End on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    It's not getting an IP address at all, and if I click on IP Renew it gives me an error. IP Release seems to work.

Impersonator on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    What's the error? Is it useful at all?

End on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    It just says that it can't connect to the DHCP server.

Impersonator on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    That's hopelessly vague.

That was also what I was afraid of.

End on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, I've tried pretty much everything. I really have no clue why it's showing this behavior.

Impersonator on
  • Options
    GothicLargoGothicLargo Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Well, if you can still reach it then it's configuration and not hardware. Although if you've done a complete reset I dunno what else to say other then to shelve it for a few days with no power.

Generally the big problem with the WRT54G is that they literally burn out their transmitters (they do, and Cisco does not like to acknowledge that they're basically running the transmitter at lightbulb like emission levels). But clearly the emissions part is still working just fine.

Stupid question but... have you done an ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew on your computer?

GothicLargo on
    atfc.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Read the posts above, when I click on IP Release the page just reloads, but if I click on IP Renew it tells me that it can't connect to the DHCP server or something like that.

Impersonator on
  • Options
    NinyuNinyu Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Mine does the exact same thing. I have to do a factory reset and then reconfigure everything in order to get back on the internet. I originally thought it might be someone hacking into it and taking it over but I think it might just be going bad. It is pretty old and there hasn't been a firmware update since 2007ish.

Ninyu on
    "It would be cool if you lived with a monster, you would never get hiccups." - Mitch Hedburg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I already did a reset, though. :(

Impersonator on
  • Options
    DedianDedian Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Do you have Cable or DSL?

Cable modems see the first MAC address that shows up and assumes that's your computer - they're ethernet bridges. Try unplugging everything from the cable modem, hooking up the wireless router to the cable modem, and power both of them off (literally take the power cable out of the cable modem, the cable modem's reset button usually does not clear the "seen" MAC address). Plug everything back in and see if your wireless router gets an IP address from the cable modem. If it does, then you'll have to rearange your network topology but it shouldn't be too bad (hang the switch off one of your wireless router ports).

If you have DSL then ignore my last paragraph :)

It sounds like the wireless router is working fine, troubleshoot the rest of your network.

Dedian on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I have Cable, but I already tried that exact procedure and with different cables as well. D:

Thanks for your reply, though! :)

Impersonator on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Do the link lights on the WAN port of the wireless router and the ethernet port on the cable modem light up? I'm assuming you ARE plugging the cable into the WAN port of the wireless router?

Edit: also, what cable modem do you have? Does it also do routing or is it just a straight cable modem?

Dedian on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Yes, the cable is plugged correctly.

About that second question, I'm not sure, I guess it's just a straight cable modem?

Impersonator on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

About that second question, I'm not sure, I guess it's just a straight cable modem?

Oh one other thing.... have you tried setting up MAC address cloning on the Wireless router? (should be in the same area as the WAN IP address setting) - if configuring that doesn't work then maybe it is, after all, the wireless WAN port

Also, which cable co?

Dedian on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Dedian wrote: »

Oh one other thing.... have you tried setting up MAC address cloning on the Wireless router? (should be in the same area as the WAN IP address setting) - if configuring that doesn't work then maybe it is, after all, the wireless WAN port

Also, which cable co?

No, I haven't. What does MAC address cloning do?

Oh, I'm not from the States if that's what you mean. :)

Impersonator on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Dedian wrote: »

Also, which cable co?

No, I haven't. What does MAC address cloning do?

Oh, I'm not from the States if that's what you mean. :)

MAC address cloning takes the MAC address of your computer, (especially the one that works while plugged directly into the cable modem) and fakes that MAC address on the WAN port of the router.

The reason you'd do this is if your cable co only allows certain predefined MAC addresses to get an IP address (i.e. use the internet). If the wireless router presents its factory MAC address and isn't able to get an IP address, but IS able to get an IP address with MAC cloning turned on, then your cable co probably employs this limitation (not all do... not common in the US, no idea about the rest of the world).

Why your router worked before but doesn't now, I'm not sure - maybe they just locked this sort of thing down, or alternately don't allow wireless routers of a certain brand (determined by the first three sections of the MAC address).

It's either a hardware problem on the Wireless WAN port side (which I doubt, if it gets LINK and you've tried several cables) or a configuration issue on the cable modem (which in 99% of the issues I've seen is the problem and usually relates to MAC address shenanigans).

Has anything else changed, network-topology wise, between when the wireless router worked and now doesn't?

Dedian on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    The problem started after I bought a switch (which is working as a bridge between the actual modem and the wireless router + my desktop computer), but I already tried to connect the router to the modem and it didn't work as well, exhibiting the same behavior as before. :(

Impersonator on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Did you completely reset the cable modem when you tried returning things to status quo?

End on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Asking again... What's the model of your cable modem?

Does it have VOIP and a battery backup? Maybe a different reset procedure for it...

Dedian on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    No, I only turned the modem off.

The modem is a Thomson THG540, not sure about the VOIP and/or battery backup.

Impersonator on