As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[GW2]We're all waiting very, very patiently for class reveals. *twitch*

• EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Floowid wrote: »
    Can't wait.

No really, I cannot wait. These guys are racing WoW:Cataclysm for my time and attention... I really hope GW2 wins. WoW is cancelled for now, and I would be ok with never going back if there is something else for me to play by the time the Cata Xpac comes out.

My WoW main was a druid, so I looked at cat and bear ass for 4 years, I don't think I will be starting with another shapeshifter. If the human females are all suitably endowed and scantily dressed, I know what I wanna be!
    With regard to shape-shifting, the Norn do not fully become animals. They sort of take on animal features (and presumably gain various buffs) while still remaining humanoid. That is my understanding anyway.

edit: Raven form, for example.
    Versus.jpg

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Raven form? More like IT'S A FUCKING DEMON, KILL IT WITH FIRE

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    That looks like an Owlbeast.

This can only lead to good things.

815165 on
    edited April 2010
    Darmak wrote: »

Probably what that centaur is thinking.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Enig wrote: »
    Darmak wrote: »

Probably what that centaur is thinking.

He's thinking he needs to lay off the hookah for a while.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • FloowidFloowid Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    While I will admit that RAVEN FORM (can't do it justice without caps) is totally badass, it retains the same problem my druid suffered from. Namely, disappearing armor. Some of my armor was really cool, and I often worked hard to get it, but I rarely saw it.

Floowid on
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Floowid wrote: »
    While I will admit that RAVEN FORM (can't do it justice without caps) is totally badass, it retains the same problem my druid suffered from. Namely, disappearing armor. Some of my armor was really cool, and I often worked hard to get it, but I rarely saw it.

Such is the price you pay to unleash your inner animal. :winky:

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • kevbayerkevbayer Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm a big GW fan, and I'm really excited for GW2 should it ever come out ;-)
    Seriously though - I am looking forward to GW2 and playing the different races.

kevbayer on
    Find me at:
    My book reviews, twitter, FB.
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Looks like an info reveal is happening sometime this week.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Good times

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Catastrophe_XXVICatastrophe_XXVI Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    does GW work on Macs and can you play with PC owners? My buddy has a Mac and I have a PC. We're looking for a good game we can play through together.

Catastrophe_XXVI on
    PSN ID: Catastrophe_xxvi
    3DS FC: 5086-1134-6451
    Shiny Code: 3837
  • Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    If Mac's can use Wine like linux you can get it working with alot of effort. And yes, you'd be playing with PC people since you are all connecting to GW servers.

I honestly can't remember the last time a PC game was platform divided in regards to it's multiplayer. Once you get the client working the server doesn't care what you are running.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2010
    Entaru wrote: »

Oh? Do tell!

kevbayer on
    Find me at:
    edited April 2010
    kevbayer wrote: »
    Entaru wrote: »

Oh? Do tell!
    As you might have guessed by some of the posts we've been making here, the torture is about to end. :-) Some of you are on the edge of your seats. Many of you know that the anniversary of the original Guild Wars is coming up. We have a few things up our collective sleeves that we’re going to talk about this week. We want as many people to know about it as possible. We’re doing our part with our PR and marketing teams, but we need your help in spreading the word! If you like the stuff you see this week, vote it up on Digg! (If you don’t have a Digg account, you can use your Facebook account to Digg stuff up.) We're super excited at how engaged many of you have been through the Guild Wars War in Kryta viral campaign, and we hope you'll like what we've got cooking for Guild Wars 2 (soon (TM)). :-)

Seidkona on
    edited April 2010
    I guess "in the next few weeks" means "next week". (http://www.killtenrats.com/2010/04/20/interview-with-arenanets-chris-lye/)

No complaints here. Getting excited again now. Don't fail me ANet (as if you ever have).

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    edited April 2010
    I guess "in the next few weeks" means "next week". (http://www.killtenrats.com/2010/04/20/interview-with-arenanets-chris-lye/)

No complaints here. Getting excited again now. Don't fail me ANet (as if you ever have).

Can't wait!

kevbayer on
    Find me at:
    edited April 2010

My attention has been on SC2 Beta lately, but i'm def still stoked for more info on GW2 and I'll get that next week reveal in the OP ASAP once it's available.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
    edited April 2010
    Well the interview from last week said "in a few weeks", but now we're getting stuff this week is what I meant. Overall a nice change in time frame.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Kinda hoping this is as accessible for single-player as GW1 was. The Nightfall campaign at least was a lot of fun, even solo.

Cilla Black on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Kinda hoping this is as accessible for single-player as GW1 was. The Nightfall campaign at least was a lot of fun, even solo.

I'm sure it will be, Anet seems to learn from everything they do and improve on it.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
    edited April 2010

They have said it will be soloable. You get NPC companion(s) who helps you solo stuff. Should be at least one companion who is like a GW1 hero companion. There will also be content which requires a group to complete.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

How did you get through the Realm of Torment or whatever its called? It was plenty hard for me and the friend I played with to get through that (and I'm just talking about the storyline stuff, the end-game grinding was just run up to the monsters, die, try again).

Dammit, now I want to reinstall GW. The Realm of Torment was a really cool area.

Peccavi on
  • Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The Realm of Torment was brutal as shit, no question, but as a Dervish I could usually carve up enemies quickly enough for the huge damage not to matter. There were some enemies that required strategy though, like killing with a bunch of spells at a distance, but I forget what I actually did to win those.

But I did get through all of Nightfall solo. A real challenge, and a lot of fun. It actually had a good story too, no less! Never did get through the factions story or that last expansion solo. I've heard the final Factions boss is basically impossible to solo.

Cilla Black on
  • Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The Realm of Torment was quite possible to do solo. I managed to do the entirety of the Nightfall campaign in Hard Mode with just Heroes and Henchmen. I just exploited the hilariously overpowered N/X Minion Master + N/Rt Healer setup.

Being in Australia in the KCHS guild it was often hard to get a PvE group going so I did maybe 90% of the Hard Mode stuff with Heroes and Hench

Cobalt60 on
    edited April 2010
    Nothing is impossible to solo in GW. You just need the right build.

Sometimes H/H is better than PUGs, in my experience, especially for missions which require specific strategies.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • RookRook Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The Realm of Torment was brutal as shit, no question, but as a Dervish I could usually carve up enemies quickly enough for the huge damage not to matter. There were some enemies that required strategy though, like killing with a bunch of spells at a distance, but I forget what I actually did to win those.

But I did get through all of Nightfall solo. A real challenge, and a lot of fun. It actually had a good story too, no less! Never did get through the factions story or that last expansion solo. I've heard the final Factions boss is basically impossible to solo.

Factions boss was really easy to do with Henchway, just take a load of Necro Curses to slap on him and he'll go to town on himself.

Rook on
    edited April 2010
    With the buffs to the Ritualist running a spirit spammer, you can pretty much get through anything now.

kevbayer on
    Find me at:
  • KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Same here. Sometimes I just want to hop in and kill some dudes without all the hassle of getting a group together.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
    edited April 2010
    On the other hand, side-kicking should make grouping easier. That aside, I think it is universally accepted at this point that an MMO needs to have sufficient content that is soloable in order for the system to work well.

Tomorrow is the 5th anniversary of GW1. It seems people expect them to drop the info then. One more day..

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    edited April 2010
    http://www.arena.net/blog/guild-wars-2-design-manifesto

So it begins. go go go.

spoilered for huge/awesome images:
    GW263.jpg
    gw2447.jpg

Class #1 reveal. Can you guess?
    img4un.jpg

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The kind of dynamic "everyone who was involved with killing this dude get loot and 100% exp" non-party party they talk about sounds like a great idea and really makes you wonder why so many other MMOs tend to punish you if someone else whacks at your mob for a while by giving you reduced exp. They're supposed to be multiplayer games, right?

reVerse on
    edited April 2010
    The combat sounds incredible.
    An Elementalist can cast Fire Wall next to an opponent, and then switch to Water attunement, which freezes all enemies around him. Using the concussive force of Water Trident, he can slam his frozen enemy into the Fire Wall, leaving him to roast in the flames.
    So if you’re playing an Elementalist, try casting a fire wall, and then see what happens when your friends shoot projectiles through it.

etc..

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    edited April 2010
    My excitement is palpable.

Seidkona on
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    AndySambergJizz.jpg

Can't wait.

Edit: On a side note, that was one of the things I was kind of hoping would become more common in MMOs and other games in the future: combination powers, either directly (like in Chronotrigger) or indirectly (shooting an arrow through a wall of fire creates a flaming arrow).

Dissociater on
  • YannYann Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Very excited about this.

Yann on
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Also, hey, that Elementalist in that picture thar sure is wearing very little.

What a shock.

reVerse on
  • sidhaethesidhaethe Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I keep telling myself I'm not going to get too hyped up, that 2011 is still a very long way away and I have other things to do and play between now and then, but when I read that design manifesto I'm not ashamed to admit tears of excitement came to my eyes.

dammit

sidhaethe on
    edited April 2010
    reVerse wrote: »
    Also, hey, that Elementalist in that picture thar sure is wearing very little.

What a shock.

They're going in a new direction. . .

Not really.

Seidkona on
  • PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    wow

sounds awesome

Peccavi on