As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bio Force Ape - the unreleased NES game you never heard about (NSFscrolling)

ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
edited April 2010 in Games and Technology
BFB1D215-D076-D2AE-C5DA353914B0D3CA.jpg

I suppose this won't impress many people, but I thought it was cool - basically, an old NES game called Bio Force Ape, shown at an expo in '91 and previewed in Nintendo Power magazine, was never released, and only a few screenshots of it exist. It was highly sought after by old-school game collectors, but the game was simply impossible to find.

That is, until now.

Somebody in Japan apparently had a cartridge of the unfinished product, and it was sold for $2,700. The video above shows almost everything that was made, and it's awfully bizarre.

There was a hoax some time ago that someone had found it and bought it for $3 at a yardsale, and he continued to release screenshots that were more and more ridiculous, but nobody seemed to realize it and the finale ended with the supposed owner smashing the cart to pieces. It's worth taking a look for the butter monster being communist punched.

Anyway, thought it was cool that a 19 year-old game that never saw the light of day is finally out for the public to see. Not incredibly impressive, but it's a weirdass game and has quite the rep among collectors.

JKKaAGp.png
Zombiemambo on

• Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    It does have some pretty smooth animations for a NES game.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    Rooster752Rooster752 Registered User new member
    edited April 2010
    That first shot kind of reminds me of metroid for some reason.

Rooster752 on
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Rooster752 wrote: »
    That first shot kind of reminds me of metroid for some reason.

Yeah, me too.

SirUltimos on