As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How to Train Your Dragon.

124»

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Melkster wrote: »
    Well, well, well.

Looks like the little dragon movie is back at the top of the box office.

Looks like word of mouth is taking this movie far. And seeing as how there are no animated/family films on the horizon for a long while, I think it soar even higher.

It's got one more week. Then, Iron Man 2 will drop it like a bag of hammers, at least as far as box office is concerned. (It will likely still get a steady trickle of family viewers, but seeing as how I saw 8-year-olds at The Dark Knight...) I say this with no joy, only acknowledgment of reality. Although IM2 should be pretty cool.

I also loved the score and recently found a CD of it.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    It was nowhere near as good as your average Pixar film. It was awesome, but it was a popcorn movie. Dreamworks films aspire to be nothing more, but that's fine - popcorn movies need love, too.

This is what I figure my response would be.

Movie comes out, everyone starts praising it like it's the second coming of christ, then a few weeks pass and we get a solid review sans the hype.

If I heard this kind of review I might have seen this on opening day.

Godfather on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Godfather wrote: »
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    It was nowhere near as good as your average Pixar film. It was awesome, but it was a popcorn movie. Dreamworks films aspire to be nothing more, but that's fine - popcorn movies need love, too.

This is what I figure my response would be.

Movie comes out, everyone starts praising it like it's the second coming of christ, then a few weeks pass and we get a solid review sans the hype.

If I heard this kind of review I might have seen this on opening day.

See most of the early reviews were of a "It's extremely good for a Dreamworks animated movie" though which is basically what ElJeffe said.

Honestly Godfather you've been in the frigid north too long.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So not to necropost, but I finally saw this.

What a fantastic film. It had flaws, sure, but it was definitely better than I thought Dreamworks could do.

Khavall on
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Saw this a week or two ago (didn't know there was a thread here). I think this may be one of my favorite movies of all-time.

Of course, it hits a lot of the right notes for me (the "BD" in my name standing for "Black Draco" being one clue, and another is that Toothless reminded me so much of my recently-deceased cat).

Speaking of Toothless, it seems that the merch for the movie is based on the dragons, but not the specific dragons. i.e. there is Nightfury merchandise, but actual Toothless merch? Not so much.

And of course, if you've seen or even read up on the movie, you know what the difference would be.

As for the book vs. movie bit, Wiki says:
    The film was created as an epic re-telling of the first book in the series. As such, there are numerous differences between the two media. These include a new plot, minor and major character changes, as well as a few adjustments to the overall setting. However, Cowell stated in her blog that she felt approvingly that the film remained "true to the spirit and message of the book." Cowell also explained that she felt that the changing of media (novel to film) triggered a necessary change in plot and characters.[5].

Personally, I love movie Toothless so much, I'm quite fine with it being different from the book.

In the end, I did like that
    both Toothless and Hiccup essentially shared the same injury.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    After seeing the movie, I read the first book in the series. I rather liked it, but the movie's much better, take it from me.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Oh man, I didn't know this had it's own thread. I freaking loved the movie. First movie that made me actually reconsider my stance of 3-D.

And like others have mentioned, while this maybe doesn't have the 'artistic' merit of something from Pixar, like Kung Fu Panda before it, it's just a really fun popcorn movie.

And I'm sure this has more to do with the genre and type of story is telling, but did anyone feel it had some similarities with Cloudy with a Chance of Meatball? Both are about skinny/meek inventor types with big burly fathers that don't understand them, and a town that first shuns them, then loves them, then shuns them again, then loves them again.

noir_blood on
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I saw this yesterday and it completely blew my expectations out of the water in the best way possible. The Jonsi song at the end (that's the frontman from Sigur Ros for all you non-indie people) was icing on the cake.

The breastplate scene was also perfect.

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The Jonsi song was alright. But I nominate Coming Back Around as the most uplifting song ever.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    noir_blood wrote: »
    And I'm sure this has more to do with the genre and type of story is telling, but did anyone feel it had some similarities with Cloudy with a Chance of Meatball? Both are about skinny/meek inventor types with big burly fathers that don't understand them, and a town that first shuns them, then loves them, then shuns them again, then loves them again.

Quite definitely, yeah. I saw the two within a fortnight of each other and the similarities were very apparent.

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Melkster wrote: »
    Well, well, well.

Looks like the little dragon movie is back at the top of the box office.

Looks like word of mouth is taking this movie far. And seeing as how there are no animated/family films on the horizon for a long while, I think it soar even higher.

Dragon was number three this weekend.

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=weekend&id=howtotrainyourdragon.htm

It's death is coming though. Shrek is on the horizon, like a village being threatened by a ... dragon.

Melkster on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2010
    This was definitely one of the best CGI Dreamworks films I've ever seen. I would even rate it above a Pixar film or two.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg