As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Buying used video card

1ddqd1ddqd Registered User regular
My friend has a 4870 that he wants to sell me so he can upgrade to a new card. I'm never an early adopter, so I've been looking for a "new" card in the meantime anyways.

Right now, I have a BFG 8800GTX 1GB, so it would be a step up (I think). He's asking $100... can anyone give me their opinion on the price? Should I low-ball for $75 since it's used?

1ddqd on

• MisanthropicMisanthropic Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    A new 1 GB 4870 will run you about $150-$200 depending on deals and what-have-you.

The maker really matters here. If it's an XFX with a double lifetime warranty (original purchase gets a warranty, second hand sale gets the same warranty) - sure, grab it for $100, it's as good as new.

Otherwise... ehhh, maybe not.

Misanthropic on
  • Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Sapphire's a good brand, too, never had a problem with them through three cards.

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
  • 1ddqd1ddqd Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'll confirm the brand with him. He's never registered it, so I may do that if it's a regular warranty.

1ddqd on
  • TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    1ddqd wrote: »
    I'll confirm the brand with him. He's never registered it, so I may do that if it's a regular warranty.

That could be bad, a lot of them won't honor better warranties unless the original purchaser registered them within 30 days of purchase, and you're usually stuck with just a 1-year limited. It is definitely a step up, probably between 15-20%, if you've got something to do with the 8800 then I'd go for it, but otherwise see if you can talk him down to $75 :winky:

TehSloth on
    FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth