As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Like Comics, Except The Pictures Move: Movies, Games, and Television

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Watch the first few minutes of the newest Community episode and you'll get streets ahead Keith.

edit: High 5 Witch Hunter

TexiKen on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    they call me Streets, last name Ahead, and I'm the longest distance you ever said

Centipede Damascus on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm still trying to figure out where "silly goose" came from.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    edited April 2010
    It's from Cardboard Tube's edict that is hella stickied at the top of every subforum.

TexiKen on
  • Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I think ol' Cardboard in turn got it from the Political Corectness thread we had up on D&D a while ago.

Edit: I forsee a new fad on the boards appearing over the horizon!

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »
    The Losers was a loser

5th place, only $9.3 million. Show's over, motherfuckers

Comic movies have been in a slump since Wolverine Origins it seems. Solution: Deadpool in everything. Deadpool in Back-Up plan, Deadpool in the Last Song, Deadpool in a pool.

Not really. The problem with comic movies is that if they suck, then instead of like in the comics world where idiots still buy them forever, word of mouth gets around and no one sees the movie. For example, Kick-Ass was made from a terrible property, while admittedly doing everything it could to improve it, it was still not a very good movie. Was it somewhat entertaining? Sure, but that's not really enough to bring people into the theaters anymore, you need more to draw people in, and comics is a tiny audience.

The Losers is made from a relatively obscure comic (I have only seen one page scanned, and it was here, and it was hilariously ridiculous) so again, they need to make a good movie before they make a comic movie.

That's why Dark Knight and Iron Man do so well. They are good movies that happen to be about Comic Book characters.

Fencingsax on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Sax, are you seriously saying that whether or not a film does well is contingent upon its quality?

I'd also caution against taking these ticket sales as evidence of a trend when both films are such diversions from typical comics films, the former because it can't be marketed to kids and the latter because it isn't even recognizable as a comic book film.

Never mind the fact that neither were designed to be blockbusters, as most comic book films are.

Robos A Go Go on
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Kick-Ass was a good movie.

If it wasn't for this forum I'd have no idea that a film called the Losers was coming, what it's about or who was in it. I'd never have heard of it basically... apparently it's out in about a month here, but I've yet to see a single poster or teaser trailer anywhere.

Looks good though, I'd watch it.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Sax, are you seriously saying that whether or not a film does well is contingent upon its quality?

I'd also caution against taking these ticket sales as evidence of a trend when both films are such diversions from typical comics films, the former because it can't be marketed to kids and the latter because it isn't even recognizable as a comic book film.

Never mind the fact that neither were designed to be blockbusters, as most comic book films are.

No, that's obviously not the case. Transformers 2 made an assload. What I am saying is that if it doesn't hit a bunch of certain criteria (including being marketed out the ass [and marketed out the ass effectively] and having a fuckload spent on special effects. Being an established property helps as well) then it will depend on word of mouth. And the word of mouth on Kick-Ass, despite what the general agreement is here, is that there isn't all that much to hold your interest. It doesn't particularly have anything that someone else hasn't done. It's my opinion it's been done better, but it is undeniable that it isn't exactly new.

The fact that the marketing made it look like another mystery men type film, and not a blood soaked fight film probably didn't help all that much, either. So when people come out (or while they are in the theater, even) they tell their friends "Oh, it's not funny, it's bloody", or "This asshole pretended to be gay and so on and so forth" Movies like these depend on word of mouth. And the word for Kick-Ass is apparently "Entertain yourself elsewhere".

Fencingsax on
  • cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Saw Kick-Ass and I loved it. My girlfriend, who has no interest in the genre/comics found it entertaining and without coaxing said she liked it a lot too (which surprised me to be honest). Although it was a trade-off, I had to see Date Night and she would see Kick-Ass. The former was also pretty funny, you could tell that there was a lot of improv in the movie.

cardboard delusions on
  • AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Fencingsax wrote: »

No, that's obviously not the case. Transformers 2 made an assload. What I am saying is that if it doesn't hit a bunch of certain criteria (including being marketed out the ass [and marketed out the ass effectively] and having a fuckload spent on special effects. Being an established property helps as well) then it will depend on word of mouth. And the word of mouth on Kick-Ass, despite what the general agreement is here, is that there isn't all that much to hold your interest. It doesn't particularly have anything that someone else hasn't done. It's my opinion it's been done better, but it is undeniable that it isn't exactly new.

The fact that the marketing made it look like another mystery men type film, and not a blood soaked fight film probably didn't help all that much, either. So when people come out (or while they are in the theater, even) they tell their friends "Oh, it's not funny, it's bloody", or "This asshole pretended to be gay and so on and so forth" Movies like these depend on word of mouth. And the word for Kick-Ass is apparently "Entertain yourself elsewhere".

it has a 76% on rotten tomatoes and word of mouth from every person that i've personally spoken to is that it's fantastic.

and i don't get why people even care that it dropped so much in the second week. this movie has already made it's entire budget back in theaters. it's a success, regardless of it not doing avatar numbers.

Angry on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I was under the impression that a movie generally had to make three times its production budget to actually become profitable once marketing etc etc is taken into account?

Wildcat on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Kevin Smith, who despite his failings seems like a pretty no-bullshit kind of guy, has said that all his movies need to do is recoup their budgets, and the studio will keep letting him make movies. Presumably DVD sales, rentals, TV showings, etc. can make up for a less-than-spectacular box office.

Munch on
  • cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    cshadow42 on
    MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    First nine episodes of the live action tv show, The Tick, is on Hulu.

Joy!

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    wait... so the ENTIRE Iron Man 2 soundtrack is AC/DC?

That is awesome.

ManetherenWolf on
    edited April 2010
    No, it's hella lame, because the best AC/DC song (What do you do for Money Honey, which would totally work for Black Widow) isn't in the movie.

Also,
    no Firehouse
    no Def Leppard
    no Motley Crue
    no W.A.S.P. (which really, this is Tony Stark, bras)
    no Judas Priest
    no Loudness
    no Quiet Riot
    no Steve Winwood

It's like, the movie better be super awesome to make up for this.

TexiKen on
    edited April 2010
    Nothing can compare to the Howard the Duck music video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuJiwojPaMI

cshadow42 on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Man, I'm so looking forward to seeing Iron Man 2 this weekend. Oh yeah, gonna be awesome.

Solar on
    edited April 2010
    Solar wrote: »
    Man, I'm so looking forward to seeing Iron Man 2 this weekend. Oh yeah, gonna be awesome.

This weekend? Don't you mean next weekend?

cshadow42 on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    Its out this week in the UK

Yes the UK has become the home of early film releases. Suck it US.

DarkWarrior on
  • psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Out in Australia this weekend as well. Consider this a karmic FUCK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!! for every single other movie release prior to this one.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2010
    *sigh* Guess this means I'll have to settle for "The Human Centipede"

"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wmTv2nqTHo"

Caution: You can't unsee this. You really, really can't...

EDIT: Oops, didn't mean to embed the video in the post, as it is a bit too much...

cshadow42 on
    edited April 2010
    That is totally not a comic film.

DarkWarrior on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You British and Austrailian sons of bitches.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    edited April 2010
    I was trying to make a joke, in that I'd rather see "The Human Centipede" than the "Nightmare on Elm Street" reboot. Though to be honest...I couldn't make myself finish watching "The Human Centipede" trailer...

cshadow42 on
    edited April 2010
    cshadow42 wrote: »
    I was trying to make a joke, in that I'd rather see "The Human Centipede" than the "Nightmare on Elm Street" reboot. Though to be honest...I couldn't make myself finish watching "The Human Centipede" trailer...

I dunno, it looks pretty decent. I mean it probably wont be as good as the original, almost definitely really as Englund is Krueger, but still at least it looks like they're actually trying.

DarkWarrior on
    edited April 2010
    Not too keen on the abundance of AC/DC in Iron Man, I'm not a big fan of theirs, should I be expecting to hear that junk throughout the entire film?

DarkWarrior on
  • cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Jail that man. again

cardboard delusions on
    edited April 2010
    I can understand Kick Ass being a UK first release, even Alice in Wonderland because Johnny Depp thinks he's European, but Iron Man 2 is America first. America to the max.

TexiKen on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Nope, we win this one.

Solar on
    edited April 2010
    The only thing you're better at is Top Gear.

But aghast! the first THR review of Iron Man 2 is.......not so good (the review is under the spoilers):

Bottom Line: Now he's the Tin Man.
    Well, that didn't take long. Everything fun and terrific about "Iron Man," a mere two years ago, has vanished with its sequel. In its place, "Iron Man 2" has substituted noise, confusion, multiple villains, irrelevant stunts and misguided story lines. A film series that started out with critical and commercial success will have to settle for only the latter with this sequel. Robert Downey Jr.'s return as Tony Stark/Iron Man will assure that.

For a film riding a wave of unbridled achievement from its predecessor, "Iron Man 2" begins with a curious sense of panic. Characters all talk at once. Hesitant story lines launch in all directions. The soundtrack and music clang away, but onscreen little happens until a big set-piece at a Grand Prix race nearly 20 minutes into the movie.

Downey's Stark, the Howard Hughes-like creator of the Iron Man's software and hardware -- and its embodiment when he dons the flying iron suit -- is suffering from both megalomania and a blood toxicity condition. These seem to be leading Stark into severe mental instability.

Other plot lines concern a Congressional hearing and a nasty Senator (Gary Shandling), a crazed Russian inventor (Sam Rockwell), a dishy new assistant (Scarlett Johansson) as a rival to his Girl Friday (Gwyneth Paltrow), a demented Russian inventor (Mickey Rourke with tattoos splayed across his body), psychological issues involving Stark's late father, a sidekick (Don Cheadle) who betrays Stark and the deterioration of Stark's corporation.

And what is at stake here? The fate of the world? The emergence of a new superpower? No, it all seems to pivot around who'll win a new Defense contract. Wow, there's an emotional grabber.

A new writer, actor Justin Theroux, must have "Cut To:" installed as a default in his screenwriting software. When in doubt, his script cuts to a new place -- Moscow, Monte Carlo, Malibu -- character or situation, not all of them credible or logical.

An actor as formidable as Samuel L. Jackson doesn't even show up until the movie feels like it's winding down. He wears an eye patch and an air of uncertainty. Now who is he supposed to be? Oh, he's Scarlet Johansson's real boss, and then she turns out to be Cat Woman only without the feline suit. She struts through the film in various stages of dress and undress, which may be the best thing about "Iron Man 2" for its younger male fans.

What made the original film so, well, original, was the notion of a superhero as a conflicted individual with enough complexes and mental crises that saving the planet became a sort of stress-relief valve. Now he's borderline psychotic. Not that Downey has any qualms about tackling messed-up bad boys, but the film never makes clear whether he's just being Tony or really cracking up.

The CGI fight scenes quickly become tedious, their outcomes never really in doubt and the mechanics rather clunky. The sight of metal men smashing each other about without drawing any real blood is more reminiscent of the sandbox games of a child with his play toys than any movie magic. That actually was true of the first movie as well, but one overlooked it because Tony's prickly personality so dominated the action. Here Tony has to fight too many over-the-top characters for audience attention. He loses that battle.

Visual and CGI effects are the best and worst thing about "Iron Man 2." The film relies far too much on them. They catch you up in the action but, unfortunately, nothing else does.

Opens: May 7 (Paramount Pictures)
    Production companies: Paramount Pictures and Marvel Entertainment in association with Fairview Entertainment present a Marvel Studios production
    Rated PG-13, 124 minutes

TexiKen on
    edited April 2010

But aghast! the first THR review of Iron Man 2 is.......not so good (the review is under the spoilers):

Well, that didn't take long. Everything fun and terrific about "Iron Man," a mere two years ago, has vanished with its sequel. In its place, "Iron Man 2" has substituted noise, confusion, multiple villains, irrelevant stunts and misguided story lines. A film series that started out with critical and commercial success will have to settle for only the latter with this sequel. Robert Downey Jr.'s return as Tony Stark/Iron Man will assure that.

For a film riding a wave of unbridled achievement from its predecessor, "Iron Man 2" begins with a curious sense of panic. Characters all talk at once. Hesitant story lines launch in all directions. The soundtrack and music clang away, but onscreen little happens until a big set-piece at a Grand Prix race nearly 20 minutes into the movie.

Downey's Stark, the Howard Hughes-like creator of the Iron Man's software and hardware -- and its embodiment when he dons the flying iron suit -- is suffering from both megalomania and a blood toxicity condition. These seem to be leading Stark into severe mental instability.

Other plot lines concern a Congressional hearing and a nasty Senator (Gary Shandling), a crazed Russian inventor (Sam Rockwell), a dishy new assistant (Scarlett Johansson) as a rival to his Girl Friday (Gwyneth Paltrow), a demented Russian inventor (Mickey Rourke with tattoos splayed across his body), psychological issues involving Stark's late father, a sidekick (Don Cheadle) who betrays Stark and the deterioration of Stark's corporation.

And what is at stake here? The fate of the world? The emergence of a new superpower? No, it all seems to pivot around who'll win a new Defense contract. Wow, there's an emotional grabber.

A new writer, actor Justin Theroux, must have "Cut To:" installed as a default in his screenwriting software. When in doubt, his script cuts to a new place -- Moscow, Monte Carlo, Malibu -- character or situation, not all of them credible or logical.

An actor as formidable as Samuel L. Jackson doesn't even show up until the movie feels like it's winding down. He wears an eye patch and an air of uncertainty. Now who is he supposed to be? Oh, he's Scarlet Johansson's real boss, and then she turns out to be Cat Woman only without the feline suit. She struts through the film in various stages of dress and undress, which may be the best thing about "Iron Man 2" for its younger male fans.

What made the original film so, well, original, was the notion of a superhero as a conflicted individual with enough complexes and mental crises that saving the planet became a sort of stress-relief valve. Now he's borderline psychotic. Not that Downey has any qualms about tackling messed-up bad boys, but the film never makes clear whether he's just being Tony or really cracking up.

The CGI fight scenes quickly become tedious, their outcomes never really in doubt and the mechanics rather clunky. The sight of metal men smashing each other about without drawing any real blood is more reminiscent of the sandbox games of a child with his play toys than any movie magic. That actually was true of the first movie as well, but one overlooked it because Tony's prickly personality so dominated the action. Here Tony has to fight too many over-the-top characters for audience attention. He loses that battle.

Visual and CGI effects are the best and worst thing about "Iron Man 2." The film relies far too much on them. They catch you up in the action but, unfortunately, nothing else does.

Production companies: Paramount Pictures and Marvel Entertainment in association with Fairview Entertainment present a Marvel Studios production
    Rated PG-13, 124 minutes

Somehow...I feel vindicated.

DarkWarrior on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited April 2010

Rated PG-13, 124 minutes

Somehow...I feel vindicated.

You are selfish; you are wrong

Garlic Bread on
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, that sounds about what I expected. It seemed from the beginning that there were too many characters, most of whom were fanboy service only. Added to that is that Whiplash was a fairly minor villain, so even played by Mickey Rourke there doesn't seem like much to go with.

Iron Man 2 has fallen into the same trap as many comic book movie sequels: too many additional characters that muddy the waters and detract from what should be the focus. The Batman series (before the reboot) suffered from this, as did Spider-man 3.

Comic book movies should stick to one villain. The more villains you have, the more it takes away from the movie.

cshadow42 on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'll withhold judgment until I see it.

Munch on
    edited April 2010
    cshadow42 wrote: »
    Yeah, that sounds about what I expected. It seemed from the beginning that there were too many characters, most of whom were fanboy service only. Added to that is that Whiplash was a fairly minor villain, so even played by Mickey Rourke there doesn't seem like much to go with.

Iron Man 2 has fallen into the same trap as many comic book movie sequels: too many additional characters that muddy the waters and detract from what should be the focus. The Batman series (before the reboot) suffered from this, as did Spider-man 3.

Comic book movies should stick to one villain. The more villains you have, the more it takes away from the movie.

Whiplash is minor.

Hes also like the second biggest villain Stark has. IM has a terrible rogues gallery, I've been saying that since IM1. He seems t o work better when working on a global scale in the Avengers where he doesn't have to interact with his regular foes.

DarkWarrior on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Dark Knight had like 3 villains running around and it was amazing.

Bloods End on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited April 2010
    Bloods End wrote: »
    Dark Knight had like 3 villains running around and it was amazing.

The Joker, Two-Face, and Christian Bale's Batman voice?

Garlic Bread on
    edited April 2010
    I was expecting Iron Man 2 to basically be a 7/10 as opposed to the 9/10 the first movie was, but they make it seem like it's a 5/10.

I'm still looking forward to it, though the way they write about Tony instead of just falling into a drunk stupor instead just going crazy makes me wonder what the studio thinks they can improve that storyline with (you can't, it works as is)

TexiKen on
This discussion has been closed.