As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Kick-Ass: Mostly aptly named film since Superbad

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm a HUGE fan of zombies and stuff but yes I stand by my word: Kick Ass > Zombieland > District 9... That said all the movies are incredible and it's a great time to be a movie fan.

urahonky on
  • hadokenhadoken Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I had to ask my local comic book shop how their logo got plastered all over the movie. Turns out the Owner of Atomic Comics and Mark Millar are good buddies and they wanted to have a real comic book store shown in the movie. Had to make a joke asking when they were going ot put in a coffee shop like in the movie.

wow, you are forever associated with awesome things.

hadoken on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'd put it above Zombieland because it had the more entertaining climax.

Don't really know why District 9 is considered in the same category when it's so different from the other two films. If we're just comparing things we liked to each other, then you might as well throw Frost/Nixon, pizza, and hugs on the list as well.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited April 2010
    I had more fun watching Kick Ass than watching District 9. That's what I mean by "better". AGAIN, not saying D9 was a bad movie because it certainly wasn't. I just enjoyed this movie more.

urahonky on
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2010
    I'd put it above Zombieland because it had the more entertaining climax.

Don't really know why District 9 is considered in the same category when it's so different from the other two films. If we're just comparing things we liked to each other, then you might as well throw Frost/Nixon, pizza, and hugs on the list as well.

I think it's because all three sort of have the same "low budget" feel to them, even though they're all very distinctly different films.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Cedar BrownCedar Brown Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Xagarath wrote: »
    There is nothing worth citing about Boondock Saints, unless your context of choice is "how not to do it".

I'm thinking about the part where they gain access to the house by holding the maid at gunpoint and then burst in to murder a bunch of guys chilling around a poker table. They'd be dead before they react. Nothing unrealistic about that.

Cedar Brown on
  • RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    urahonky wrote: »
    I had more fun watching Kick Ass than watching District 9. That's what I mean by "better". AGAIN, not saying D9 was a bad movie because it certainly wasn't. I just enjoyed this movie more.

Man according to that criteria of "better" Meet the Spartans was a better movie then The Pianist

Do you realize what you have done? Do you?

Robman on
  • MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    - At no point on camera does Big Daddy and Hit Girl inform Kick Ass where safe house B is ... and Red Mist suggests just plugging it into the GPS. Made me think of Grand Theft Auto :P

I thought I saw the camera pan over the computer screen showing the safe house address before Red Mist suggested putting it in the GPS

MrDelish on
    edited April 2010
    Robman wrote: »

Man according to that criteria of "better" Meet the Spartans was a better movie then The Pianist

Absolutely. If you had more fun watching Meet the Spartans than The Pianist (this couldn't sound longer), then it would technically be a better movie to you.

But that would be my opinion because I go to movies to enjoy myself and have a good time... Because if I didn't what the hell is the point of paying $14?

urahonky on
  • CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    MrDelish wrote: »
    - At no point on camera does Big Daddy and Hit Girl inform Kick Ass where safe house B is ... and Red Mist suggests just plugging it into the GPS. Made me think of Grand Theft Auto :P

I thought I saw the camera pan over the computer screen showing the safe house address before Red Mist suggested putting it in the GPS

That's what I thought the first time I saw it too, on the second viewing I noticed it just says "Safehouse B". I got a little laugh out of that.

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • RanadielRanadiel Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I finally saw this movie and thoroughly enjoyed it. It had a lot of geek humor moments and watching Kick-Ass try to fight was hilarious every single time, especially his final fight at the end of the movie.

I haven't read the comic, but I failed to see how the movie was trying to send any kind of message about how you'd have to be crazy to try and be a hero; the only message I got was "stand up and do something" when bad shit is going down. However, I do understand that there were major changes to the characters from their comic counterparts, so I'm trying to keep the two seperated and just comment on the film.

On the characters:
    Aside from being a geek with delusions of granduer, Kick-Ass didn't strike me as having any kind of mental issues and seemed to genuinely want to do good and make a difference. He realizes that he's in over his head after he meets Big Daddy and Hit-Girl, seeing the lengths they go to in order to stop "real" criminals, plus he gets the girl! Big Daddy seemed the most deranged, but he had his entire life destroyed by the man he's setting out to take down and is motivated by classic revenge. Hit-Girl is just Hit-Girl, and at least in the movie, seems to adjust to post-superhero life fairly easily.

I did have a few minor nitpicks for an otherwise fun and outrageous movie:
    * The Red Mist and Kick-Ass relationship. When Red Mist begged for Kick-Ass to be spared, it struck me as odd since they'd barely spent any on-screen time together. Although as a regular teen, Red-Mist had no friends and probably saw a potential one in Kick-Ass, but other than the one scene in the comic book shop it's never really established that he's lonely and pines for a friend.
    * Seeing the father's goons manandle Red Mist, when they all knew it was the son struck me as really odd. Red Mist had already blown his cover at this point, seemingly killed Hit-Girl and delivered Kick-Ass and Big Daddy, and is the mob bosses son!
    * The whole "safehouse B" thing, but that kind of made me laugh, so I brushed it off.

Ranadiel on
  • ANTVGM64ANTVGM64 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I made the Zombie Land analogy to my friends coming out of the movie. I think this new genre of Hard R rated gross out action dramedy is going to be a pretty big thing.
    1. I think Red Midst didn't want him dead because they rolled around in his car and had a good time, thus a connection, ESPECIALLY after it was revealed it was Adam West running around doing all the shenanigans.

ANTVGM64 on
    edited April 2010
    ANTVGM64 wrote: »
    I made the Zombie Land analogy to my friends coming out of the movie. I think this new genre of Hard R rated gross out action dramedy is going to be a pretty big thing.
    1. I think Red Midst didn't want him dead because they rolled around in his car and had a good time, thus a connection, ESPECIALLY after it was revealed it was Adam West running around doing all the shenanigans.
    Plus he clearly admired Kick-Ass before even meeting him, and made sure he left the burning building in time.

Robos A Go Go on
  • ANTVGM64ANTVGM64 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Then I don't know. I was pretty stoned at the time.

On another note, how "Kick Ass" would it be if the next series of graphic novels involve this movie being released in some way.

ANTVGM64 on
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Absolutely. If you had more fun watching Meet the Spartans than The Pianist (this couldn't sound longer), then it would technically be a better movie to you.

But that would be my opinion because I go to movies to enjoy myself and have a good time... Because if I didn't what the hell is the point of paying $14?

I don't know, I don't find movies like Schindler's List, or Taxi Driver to be super fun to watch, but movies that make you think extend beyond the theater (at least for me) more than pure sugar like zombieland - it's a different viewing experience completely

override367 on
    edited April 2010
    There are 18 minutes of unused video, including a good bit of the two of them just hanging out, going to parties, etcetera. With that in mind, it makes more sense that Red Mist would consider Kick Ass a friend at that point.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
    edited April 2010
    I just assumed that he never really had anyone to talk to so even the bit in the car was enough to consider him a friend.

urahonky on
    edited April 2010
    There are 18 minutes of unused video, including a good bit of the two of them just hanging out, going to parties, etcetera. With that in mind, it makes more sense that Red Mist would consider Kick Ass a friend at that point.

Awwww, I hope there's a director's cut. That sounds good, and I hate watching stuff like that out of context.

Still, watching them dance in the car was enough to convince me that they got along well.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I just saw this again. The theater had twice as many people as last week. So that's a good sign.

I did notice more the 2nd go around. I just caught how good the music really is. It makes the sceans so much better.

Toxic Toys on
    3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Some people enjoy going to films to think rather than to relax. Doesn't make it pointless for them, does it?

Xagarath on
    edited April 2010

Some people enjoy going to films to think rather than to relax. Doesn't make it pointless for them, does it?

Does for me. :)

urahonky on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Does for me. :)
    So? Why parade the fact? Does it make you better than them?

Xagarath on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The ultimate secret to film that nobody wants you to know is that the films you enjoy the most are, in fact, the best films.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited April 2010
    It absolutely does make me better than them. If they like movies I don't like then they are clearly inferior to me when it comes to taste in movies.

urahonky on
  • DoomSong8DoomSong8 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Just got back from this. Honestly, I didn't dig it as much as I thought I would. It's good, but not the best film I've seen in a while, and not one that's going to stick with me.

DoomSong8 on
    578991-5FHNJ36.jpg
    XBL:Gravity MD PSN:Gravity1204 Steam:Gravity1204
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Well, the weekend numbers are in. 52% drop at the box office. So far it's got about 30 million US and close to 25 worldwide I think, but I haven't found a concrete number online yet. So it's made back 55 million out of an estimated 80, but that's counting Lion's Gate's horrible financing.

It's made back production though, It'll probably run another four weeks at the box office for another 15 mill, 25 total counting worldwide, I'm guessing, which will put it around 75-80 mill total which will be close to break even.

It's basically going to be Serenity all over again, lets hope for a DVD following so that we might get some more Kick Ass down the road.

edit: I know Lion's Gate is trying to break free from the direct to dvd market, but hell...
    with cage out of the picture, and mclovin the only actor that might make decent money at this point, they could probably do a good direct to dvd sequel to this that's actually worth watching and keep the principal cast.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • nervenerve Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I went to see this again last night 'cause I was bored. Arg, it is just so damn good! Some of hit girls lines will never get old.

nerve on
  • TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm going to try and see this tomorrow, after I finish my exams. I will be so very sad if I don't enjoy it.

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    This movie isn't making great piles of money? I'm making it my personal goal to convince all of my friends who haven't seen it to go immediately.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    It's made back production though, It'll probably run another four weeks at the box office for another 15 mill, 25 total counting worldwide, I'm guessing, which will put it around 75-80 mill total which will be close to break even.

Considering that the studios make less per-ticket the longer the film plays, it'll have to make a lot more than just budget+marketing to turn a profit.

This film won't have a chance to turn a profit until DVD, and even that's a stretch. We have to face facts: this movie cannot be considered a success for Lionsgate. For Vaughan, Millar, and the cast, probably, since they probably made all their money already. It's not going to blemish anyone's career, and that's good. Lionsgate will take the biggest hit because of all the money they spent on ads, so the failure will be in their court alone, but make no mistake, it is a failure.
    with cage out of the picture, and mclovin the only actor that might make decent money at this point, they could probably do a good direct to dvd sequel to this that's actually worth watching and keep the principal cast.

Chloe Moretz has a pretty jam-packed schedule right now, not to mention a rising stock in the industry. The same probably goes for Mintz-Plasse. Expecting a high-quality DTV sequel is some staggering wishful thinking at this point.

Atomika on
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Considering that the studios make less per-ticket the longer the film plays, it'll have to make a lot more than just budget+marketing to turn a profit.

This film won't have a chance to turn a profit until DVD, and even that's a stretch. We have to face facts: this movie cannot be considered a success for Lionsgate. For Vaughan, Millar, and the cast, probably, since they probably made all their money already. It's not going to blemish anyone's career, and that's good. Lionsgate will take the biggest hit because of all the money they spent on ads, so the failure will be in their court alone, but make no mistake, it is a failure.

Chloe Moretz has a pretty jam-packed schedule right now, not to mention a rising stock in the industry. The same probably goes for Mintz-Plasse. Expecting a high-quality DTV sequel is some staggering wishful thinking at this point.

I was under the impression that dvd sales made more actual money for the people that made the film than box office tickets

edit: I think my assumption is wrong

override367 on
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

Aren't there a lot of regulations in place to keep minors who act from a) making ridiculous sums of money and 2) having their parents take it? That's speaking purely for Moretz.

Also, another studio could just by the distribution rights and turn the (possible) franchise around. It would be the same thing that happened with Mallrats. Universal picked up the movie, but eventually everything god sold off to Miramax who actually did stuff with it, and the rest of Smith's work.

Honestly I'm just playing devil's advocate here. I mean Lion's Gate obviously screwed up with this, and for them, it will be a failure, but there's money to be made from this franchise, and there is a good chance someone could figure that out.

amateurhour on
    edited April 2010
    I was under the impression that dvd sales made more actual money for the people that made the film than box office tickets

edit: I think my assumption is wrong

I know more about the theatrical money breakdown than the DVD, but I gotta think that the studios don't make all that much of the DVD share either.

You have to pay the design team, any cast or crew that have points on the DVD (which Nic Cage, Vaughan, and Millar probably do), the marketing to get the word out, the manufacturers, and then whatever margin you're giving to the retailers. That eats up a good bit. At best, you're looking at half the revenue going to the studio. At best.

So let's take the estimated final North American take, which is about 50 million. The average ticket price, according to NATO, is about $8.00. This means about 6.25 million people saw (or will see) the movie theatrically. Now, take the average DVD price at $20 (less for SD, more for BRD), which gives us a profit of give-or-take $10 for the studios per disc. A little more research seems to tell us that Kick Ass can reasonably expect 1-3 million DVDs sold.

So the studio could possibly see another 30 million in net DVD revenue, but less is more likely. So, like I said, it might turn a profit, but it's a stretch.

Atomika on
    edited April 2010
    Aren't there a lot of regulations in place to keep minors who act from a) making ridiculous sums of money and 2) having their parents take it? That's speaking purely for Moretz.

I'm not sure there's either.
    Also, another studio could just by the distribution rights and turn the (possible) franchise around. It would be the same thing that happened with Mallrats. Universal picked up the movie, but eventually everything god sold off to Miramax who actually did stuff with it, and the rest of Smith's work.

Honestly I'm just playing devil's advocate here. I mean Lion's Gate obviously screwed up with this, and for them, it will be a failure, but there's money to be made from this franchise, and there is a good chance someone could figure that out.

I'm not sure there is too much more money to be made here. It had a large marketing push, and it's dropping like a stone at the BO right now. Not only did it open small, it had no legs, meaning that word of mouth isn't getting around. It's not going to be like Batman Begins, opening small but then running all summer long.

You're also looking at a cast of young people that will be aging quickly. Moretz can't play Hit Girl too much longer without serious sexual issues coming into play. But more than that, the movie's arc closes nicely and brings resolution to every plot line. It doesn't demand the sequel the ending would seem to illicit.

Atomika on
  • PicardathonPicardathon Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    As far as child acting, there's limits on hours, and they have to get schooling but money is money. If those kids have shitty parents there's nothing stopping them from becoming the next Gary Coleman if they fail at their studies and can't get a career started.

Picardathon on
    edited April 2010
    As far as child acting, there's limits on hours, and they have to get schooling but money is money. If those kids have shitty parents there's nothing stopping them from becoming the next Gary Coleman if they fail at their studies and can't get a career started.

After Macauly Culkin (sp?)'s parents took all of his money and he divorced or got emancipated from them, they put regulations in place that stated something along the lines of a percentage of income going towards a trust (for college or the actor turning 18) and that the parents were only allowed to 20 or 30 percent. I know that much is true, I just thought they also had a salary cap as well.

amateurhour on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    I dont see why the parents would even get that much, they're not the ones working.

THats how you get a Lindsay Lohan.

DarkWarrior on
    edited April 2010
    I dont see why the parents would even get that much, they're not the ones working.

Presumably they're acting as agents/managers. Even if they're not, I'm pretty sure legally parents are entitled to money that their minor children earn.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

On the other hand you could get a Gary Coleman situation. Anyone want to buy some of Coleman's boxer shorts so he can pay his electric bill?

Psychotic One on
  • Fatboy RobertsFatboy Roberts Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    t will be a failure, but there's money to be made from this franchise,

It's not a franchise. It's a single movie.

Fatboy Roberts on