As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Chat] Dragon's Revenge

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Tav wrote: »
    I own a non-Steam version of GTAIV.

Do I want a Steam version, too?

Man that game was only worth owning once tav, even for someone whos irish.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Preacher wrote: »
    Haphazard wrote: »
    My, at least I managed to pull off about 45 minutes on the bike. I'm really out of shape.

No preacher just no.

Do it, you know I can take it.

Haphazard on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Especially because when I say "I want to play an RPG" I mean "I want to play a game where the substance and plot of the game is primarily built of imagination and interaction instead of being prepackaged for me, and I want to make an original character with a unique backstory and interact with other players while roleplaying as this character."

The actual mechanics of how we beat shit up doesn't really matter to me.

I'm not going to lie to you, 4E appears to have less of this than previous editions.

O_o

I just don't really get how this would be a symptom of the game itself and not of the DM running it.

I mean, to me the actual game would just be a framework used to express the collective storytelling of the roleplaying.

Can you clarify a bit on how 4E dropped the RP from RPG?
    It's a tactical miniatures game, with some very loosely tacked-on RPing rules.

Yes, Than, I'm aware your opinion on 4E is so extreme as to sound like straight hyperbole. While this may be true, just saying it isn't going to convince me.

I'm asking someone who believes roughly the same thing as you but less extremely to explain exactly what it is that makes 4e so much worse for actual roleplaying than previous editions.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm still angry someone ruined my bike

nexuscrawler on
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Sheep wrote: »
    Oh that silly Thanatos being a silly goose.

And not even in a Cop thread.
    Your words were "don't worry about money," and "if you're worried about it, you're not ready for marriage."

Those are both fantastically stupid things to say.

When taken wildly out of context, you're right.

But since I said that the guy seems to be ridiculously concerned over how much money his fiancee makes, then he may not be ready for marriage.

And that second thing in quotations?

No, I did not type that. Don't just make shit up.

I don't think OP is ready for marriage.

Seems like there's still a gigantic divide between him and his fiancee. The type of divide that tends to exist between couples that aren't completely committed.

Share responsibilities. Don't worry about money.

Prenup? I dunno. I didn't get one because we're both lower middle class wankers.
    You're going to have to explain how, exactly, what I said was inaccurate, or out of context.

Thanatos on
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    Tav wrote: »
    I own a non-Steam version of GTAIV.

Do I want a Steam version, too?

Man that game was only worth owning once tav, even for someone whos irish.

Multiplayer was fucking tits until a few months later and there was still no balancing.

The Cops vs Robbers game type got pretty fucking boring when the Cops would spawn across town and the Robbers would spawn a lazy stroll away from the get away boat.

Sheep on
    edited April 2010

Wah? Just an act of random vandalism or what? On your Birthday???

Haphazard on
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Hey Tav, when is the half time in the Lyon v Bayern Munich match?

Leitner on
    edited April 2010
    My, at least I managed to pull off about 45 minutes on the bike. I'm really out of shape.

No preacher just no.

Just remember don't hit the showers afterwards...

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited April 2010

Like 2 weeks ago someone stole the front wheel

nexuscrawler on
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm finding that the popularity of mobile browsers means I'm having to use the useragent spoofing built into Opera again.

japan on
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm the only one here. There are *counts* 30 empty cubicles around me. Its fucking weird.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • thisisntwallythisisntwally Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

i started back on my bike on the 20th. my quads have just now recovered.

45 minutes is pretty good though! flat or hilly?

I'm trying to walk more (at least an extended walk, 5 to 8 km, once a week) and ride the stationary (at least three times a week). It's hard to get started. Again.

get some wheels on that thing!

its much easier to get on a bike when it can take you somewhere!

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Realizing your dream of singing the Free Software Song with Stallman
    Listening to each and every Futurama commentary track on your various DVD sets
    Writing slashfic of MTV's Daria
    Arguing over editions of D&D

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
    edited April 2010

Get a new wheel.

Just don't go to the kind of bike shop that will try to sell you something made of carbon fibre.

japan on
    edited April 2010

this belongs in your podcast dammit!

get to makin it!

nexuscrawler on
    edited April 2010

you could probably get one back on using the opposite of their technique

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
    edited April 2010
    Leitner wrote: »
    Hey Tav, when is the half time in the Lyon v Bayern Munich match?

Half time's already over.

Haphazard on
    edited April 2010

Liebot what is the saddest thing?

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited April 2010
    hrmmm.

daria slashfic you say...

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
    edited April 2010

well it would give me an answer to my original question of "what kind of dicksmack steals the wheel to a bike thats not worth anything already?"

nexuscrawler on
    edited April 2010

No preacher just no.

Just remember don't hit the showers afterwards...

Knew it! :P

And who just steals the front wheel?

Haphazard on
  • YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

Only thing to do now:

235437650_TJKJj-L-2.jpg

YamiNoSenshi on
    edited April 2010

Your words were "don't worry about money," and "if you're worried about it, you're not ready for marriage."

But since I said that the guy seems to be ridiculously concerned over how much money his fiancee makes, then he may not be ready for marriage.

Seems like there's still a gigantic divide between him and his fiancee. The type of divide that tends to exist between couples that aren't completely committed.

Prenup? I dunno. I didn't get one because we're both lower middle class wankers.
    You're going to have to explain how, exactly, what I said was inaccurate, or out of context.

Well, for one thing, no where in my post is the text "just don't talk about it, and sweep it under the rug", or "if you're worried about it, you're not ready for marriage". Nor did I say that "in a marriage you shouldn't worry about money" or any derivative of that.

My concern was his strange preoccupation with money and the degree of separation he is keeping between himself and his fiancee, and his preoccupation with how much money she makes compared to himself, which is coming off like petty classism.

Sure, I could have thrown a couple of qualifiers in there to be more specific.

Sheep on
  • Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Especially because when I say "I want to play an RPG" I mean "I want to play a game where the substance and plot of the game is primarily built of imagination and interaction instead of being prepackaged for me, and I want to make an original character with a unique backstory and interact with other players while roleplaying as this character."

The actual mechanics of how we beat shit up doesn't really matter to me.

I'm not going to lie to you, 4E appears to have less of this than previous editions.

O_o

I just don't really get how this would be a symptom of the game itself and not of the DM running it.

I mean, to me the actual game would just be a framework used to express the collective storytelling of the roleplaying.

Can you clarify a bit on how 4E dropped the RP from RPG?

I wouldn't go that far. It hasn't dropped the RP, it just heavily emphasises the G. My impression is that 4E is very codified. In combat, rather than freely coming up with ideas which are adjudicated by the DM, you pick your actions from a list. Non-combat situations are seperated into discrete "skill challenges" revolving around succeeding at successive dice rolls.
    I'm by no means saying that you can't RP in 4th edition, that's crazy. But technically you can roleplay with almost any game. The rules of 4th edition are put together more like those of a tactical wargame.

It's not really something I've put a lot of thought into, I only read the rules quite recently. I'd have trouble making myself any more clear without resorting to comparisons with my old games.

Aroused Bull on
    edited April 2010

well it would give me an answer to my original question of "what kind of dicksmack steals the wheel to a bike thats not worth anything already?"

Someone who intends to immobilise it so they can come back when it's dark and steal the rest of it.

Cutting chains is also popular.

japan on
    edited April 2010
    japan wrote: »

Someone who intends to immobilise it so they can come back when it's dark and steal the rest of it.

Cutting chains is also popular.

it was bolted up but the front wheel wasn't

so I guess spite?

nexuscrawler on
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    No water park today. :(

Instead I will clean the kitchen. Maybe splash some water around from the sink.

Quid on
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Shit that reminds me I need to find a longer security chain since both wheels pop off.

Quid on
    edited April 2010

Well, for one thing, no where in my post is the text "just don't talk about it, and sweep it under the rug", or "if you're worried about it, you're not ready for marriage". Nor did I say that "in a marriage you shouldn't worry about money" or any derivative of that.

My concern was his strange preoccupation with money and the degree of separation he is keeping between himself and his fiancee, and his preoccupation with how much money she makes compared to himself, which is coming off like petty classism. I don't think that's a health mindset when going into a marriage.

Sheep on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Quid wrote: »

Oh man I'm sorry you can't both live in Hawaii and go to a water park on a TUESDAY.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Oh man I'm sorry you can't both live in Hawaii and go to a water park on a TUESDAY.
    This is pretty much exactly what I was thinking.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I wouldn't go that far. It hasn't dropped the RP, it just heavily emphasises the G. My impression is that 4E is very codified. In combat, rather than freely coming up with ideas which are adjudicated by the DM, you pick your actions from a list. Non-combat situations are seperated into discrete "skill challenges" revolving around succeeding at successive dice rolls.
    I'm by no means saying that you can't RP in 4th edition, that's crazy. But technically you can roleplay with almost any game. The rules of 4th edition are put together more like those of a tactical wargame.

It's not really something I've put a lot of thought into, I only read the rules quite recently. I'd have trouble making myself any more clear without resorting to comparisons with my old games.

I see, thank you.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
    edited April 2010

This is pretty much exactly what I was thinking.

Seriously.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited April 2010
    it was bolted up but the front wheel wasn't

so I guess spite?

Bike locks aren't that secure. There isn't anything on the market that'll stand up to bolt croppers (up to and including motorbike chains weighing multiple kilos). Using a four foot long tool on a bike lock does tend to get you noticed, though.

japan on
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Only thing to do now:

[MG]http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/235437650_TJKJj-L-2.jpg[/IMG]

Someone in my hometown did this with their McCain Palin sign last election because people kept stealing it. They got some kind of huge fine for exposed electrical device less than 4 feet from the sidewalk. They lived across from the local elementary school too, so it was extra mega dumb.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I had a dream I had a pet bear.

James on
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

My concern was his strange preoccupation with money and the degree of separation he is keeping between himself and his fiancee, and his preoccupation with how much money she makes compared to himself, which is coming off like petty classism.

Did you bother actually reading the OP? Or did you just decide to generalize a shitload based on some of the things that other people were saying?

I guess you're right, in order to show that he wasn't "pre-occupied with money" his OP should have consisted of "my parents are worried that my fiancee may be taking advantage of me; are they right?" with absolutely no other information. Because that would be certain to get him some useful advice.

Thanatos on
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Healthy breakfast for once. Woo!

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
    edited April 2010
    Who would steal a mccain palin sign? Wait wait better question, who the fuck would put one up?

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
This discussion has been closed.