As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Munch's Art [is bad and he should feel bad]

MunchMunch Registered User regular
edited April 2010 in Artist's Corner
So, after being savaged in the Doodle thread, and in an attempt to get Manovon off my back, I decided to make a thread. Now we can all argue about the merits of imaginary ape-manatomy here. So, here's a bunch of recent stuff. And in an attempt to better diagnose the problems with my drawings, I'll also be posting the many, many rough marker sketches I do when I'm planning a drawing. Or even when I'm just fucking around. I find they usually have more energy than my finished stuff anyway.

Basically, you're going to see everything I draw, so you the viewer can tell me what I'm doing right (nothing) and what I'm doing wrong (everything)! And in pursuit of self-improvement, I'll begin drawing Posemaniac sketches sometime next week, in lieu of life-drawing, and in addition to the other stuff I'm doing. Excited? I sure am. Let's get started!

Deathlok Redesign; Marvel Comics character redesigned for a thread in Graphic Violence
16ghtl.jpg
4hrqya.jpg

Tigra Redesign; Marvel Comics character redesigned for a thread in Graphic Violence
fvfvb8.png
2l9h5r5.jpg
atp6hx.jpg

Spaceboy of Dark horse Comics' Umbrella Academy, kind of going for a Jack Kirby vibe
214819l.jpg
jsney8.jpg
uvj1t.jpg

Really bad drawing of Marvel Comics character Luke Cage, just me trying to draw kind of sloppily, and a case where the sketches were much better than the finished product
297kt1.jpg
2gvuet2.jpg
23lbcpx.jpg

Pencils for 1/3 of a comic page about Musashi Miyamoto fighting an alien
2ly1y5s.jpg
wqztc2.jpg
hrlv8p.jpg

Rasputin v.s. the Devil, meant to look like an old illustration out of some kind of faded and stained text
fm6b9.png
noa714.png
rc8r3o.jpg
35an28h.jpg
2n7igx1.jpg

Crying Platapus, done to mark the passing of a comic writer I liked
v5yiwg.png
21o6n7r.jpg

Monkey with a gun. It's been pretty thoroughly discussed in the Doodle thread, and I'm not going to work on it anymore, but thought I'd toss it in for the sake of completeness
219uydu.jpg
6oot54.jpg
2v2xoon.jpg
3358n4h.jpg
302pg8z.jpg

Munch on

• MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    4/25 Drawings
    2s5y341.jpg
    2j3jxuh.jpg

axk02s.jpg

2ebcxsk.jpg

2czaa7l.jpg

rsynbl.jpg

Edit: Forgot this one
    4ghxy9.jpg

I'll be posting things besides rough sketches, but since the general consesus seems to to be that my stuff is too stiff, I though I'd start off with some simple gesture exercises.

Munch on
  • flowerhoneyflowerhoney Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Whut.

I think your drawings are super fun, but I guess in comparison to everything else the monkey is pretty boring (my opinion could be biased, because I hate monkeys. Ugh monkeys...)

Luge Cage's arms looks kinda funny, cant quite put my finger on what it is though. So I guess you better feel worse about yourself lol

I laughed at Rasputin vs the Devil XD
    Is he spraying him with plasma or something?

flowerhoney on
    edited April 2010
    Just generic magic special effects. It's the kind of thing that'd probably look better if I knew how to digitally color at all.

And Cage's hands are what my eyes always hone in on in that picture. And his legs, which are teeny tiny even for the exaggerated look I was trying for.

Munch on
  • flowerhoneyflowerhoney Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I dont think its supposed to be funny, but I find it hilarious
    I can just imagine the look on the devil's face, then I crack up!

Oh, its Cage's hands. His hands are really little.

flowerhoney on
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    in the rasputin picture, you should try lowering the saturation of the page texture and changing the black of the lineart to a deep brown and setting the layer to multiply. it'd probably help with the look you were going for.

also, hell yeah, a munch thread. slowly but surely my plan of filling the ac with comic artists is coming to fruition.
    mwahahahaahaha.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • JLM-AWPJLM-AWP Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I saw the conversation in the doodle thread about the monkey/gorilla, and I don't want to seem like another pass on a broken record, but a lot of the character poses seem a bit stiff. In the case of the Tigra, I think it might be the positioning of her feet that is bothering me...not exactly sure there.

Rasputin doesn't seem like he's putting a whole lot of effort into that generic magic attack, but that may be for a reason I'm not aware of...like he doesn't need to try that hard cuz he's just badass.

I really like the Space Boy one though. :)

EDIT: I know you said it was a bad drawing, but I wanted to point out that Cage's right shoulder/arm look like they sorta disappear behind his chest/torso.

JLM-AWP on
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    yeah, in the rasputin one, the middle of the first page of sketches was a better composition. look at the curve of rasputin's posture compared to the roughly straight stance in the final. also the arc of the devil accentuates the strike of the blast in the sketch where you inversed it, countering the direction of the blast in the final, also, look at the strength and emphasis on the blast in the sketch as it compares to the weaker blast in the final.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • MufasaJoeMufasaJoe Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Your sketches have great energy, but your "final" inks are dull and too precious. Your variations on line weight seem arbitrary and you fill in large blotches for bodies of shadow that don't really seem to convey any volume. I say ditch whatever you're using to ink because it's not doing much for your stuff.

Also, I still think your deltoids are a little preposterous, even if you're getting better about not making them spheres.

Spoilered for loomis:
    Arm-Straight-Loomis.jpg

Did I mention that I really enjoy your sketches?

MufasaJoe on
  • DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You are losing so much in the transition from your sketches to your finished work. Your sketches, while rough, have a lot more fluidity and life to them. There is a lot more energy in the poses and the fast linework is really serving to move the eye a lot better.

I definitely think you should be looking into buying some anatomy books and copying a lot of skeleton and muscles plates. The worst anatomy is seen in your Deathloc and Luke cage drawings. Maybe if your anatomy was better represented, the overall piece would have a lot more visual power, but right now they're not doing much to excite the viewer.

If you look at a dude like Steven Silver, he has a very cartoony style that is based on simple shapes. However, he knows his fucking anatomy and can draw from life like a mother fucker. I have yet to see a single life drawing from you, something i would be very interested to see. It would be a good thing to judge your progression and to help us critique your work further.

Good anatomy books:

http://www.amazon.com/Anatomy-Artist-Jeno-Barcsay/dp/1586631748/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1272312008&sr=8-6
    http://www.amazon.com/Bridgmans-Complete-Guide-Drawing-Life/dp/1402766785/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1272312031&sr=1-1
    http://www.amazon.com/Anatomy-Lessons-Great-Masters-Robert/dp/0823002810/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1272312066&sr=1-1

DeeLock on
    edited April 2010
    in the rasputin picture, you should try lowering the saturation of the page texture and changing the black of the lineart to a deep brown and setting the layer to multiply. it'd probably help with the look you were going for.

yeah, in the rasputin one, the middle of the first page of sketches was a better composition. look at the curve of rasputin's posture compared to the roughly straight stance in the final. also the arc of the devil accentuates the strike of the blast in the sketch where you inversed it, countering the direction of the blast in the final, also, look at the strength and emphasis on the blast in the sketch as it compares to the weaker blast in the final.
    Unfortunately, I'm sans-Photoshop, so I'm kind of limited in what I can do digitally. I do all the coloring and layering junk in the free version of Open Canvas. I'm kind of low tech at the moment. And yeah, I liked some aspects of that sketch more, but I should say it was a conscious decision to give Rasputin a more relaxed pose, hence his pretty calm expression. And I was trying to make it look like the Devil was crumpling around the blast. Which admittedly looks much wimpier than the sketch version.
    JLM-AWP wrote:
    EDIT: I know you said it was a bad drawing, but I wanted to point out that Cage's right shoulder/arm look like they sorta disappear behind his chest/torso.
    That was actually intentional. He's supposed to be thrusting his chest out, with his shoulders back. I think it'd have come across better if his chest was eclipsing his stomach a bit.
    MufasaJoe wrote:
    Your sketches have great energy, but your "final" inks are dull and too precious. Your variations on line weight seem arbitrary and you fill in large blotches for bodies of shadow that don't really seem to convey any volume. I say ditch whatever you're using to ink because it's not doing much for your stuff.

Also, I still think your deltoids are a little preposterous, even if you're getting better about not making them spheres.
    I do tend to get a little obsessive-compulsive about my lines, trying too hard to keep them uniform, and in effect likely robbing them of any character. On the large blotches of black, you could be right, but I think it works in some places. I'll admit, I do tend to use the black to break up shapes and lead the eye more than I do to convey shadow. But it's something I've really only recently started messing with, so I'm sure I'll be revising my technique on that over time. As for what I'm inking with, I'm currently using a Cotman Size 1 synthetic/sable blend brush with Speedball ink, with a stylus pen for fine details.

On the shoulders, I do tend to round them out a lot. I should also point out, in case it's not obvious, that Deathlok's right arm's supposed to be a robo-arm, complete with kind of a ball-joint shoulder. So that's supposed to be really round. But I'll pay more attention to that in the future, because I do see what you mean.
    DeeLock wrote:
    I definitely think you should be looking into buying some anatomy books and copying a lot of skeleton and muscles plates. The worst anatomy is seen in your Deathloc and Luke cage drawings. Maybe if your anatomy was better represented, the overall piece would have a lot more visual power, but right now they're not doing much to excite the viewer.

If you look at a dude like Steven Silver, he has a very cartoony style that is based on simple shapes. However, he knows his fucking anatomy and can draw from life like a mother fucker. I have yet to see a single life drawing from you, something i would be very interested to see. It would be a good thing to judge your progression and to help us critique your work further.
    I do have Hogarth's Dynamic Anatomy, and use it, though admittedly as not as much as I probably should. Thanks for the book recommendations though.

On life drawings, all my old charcoal ones are currently rotting away in my garage somewhere. To be perfectly honest, life drawing's never interested me much because, while I understand the ability to replicate reality is important, slavishly trying to achieve photo-realism bores me to tears. I really like those Silver cartoonish life drawings though, so I may try to do something in that vein, though it'll have to be referenced from photos or videos.

Thanks for the comments everyone, always much appreciated. Hopefully some of the advice take root in my brain.

4/26 Drawings
    I woke up with Spider-Man on the brain today, so some of my sketches are going to reflect that. Later, I went and did the Posemaniacs 30-second gesture drawings for a while.
    syxjpy.jpg
    29nb0k6.jpg
    Started the day off with some really junky stuff.

8x0qow.jpg

105tlic.jpg

n1p636.jpg

2uha99w.jpg

2qdbku8.jpg

14y4lqw.jpg

23kqav7.jpg

2vabe5z.jpg

66kn6v.jpg
    I really like that Sandman sketch, though the hands look really wacky.

2n87kw4.jpg
    Fiddling around with a design for Rhino. For some reason I really like his round little noggin and stooped posture. I lengthened his arms for cartoonish effect in the lower right drawing but didn't think it really worked.

286wps8.jpg
    Shortened up the arms, did a few pencils sketches. I know the proportions aren't remotely realistic, but I kind of like the general design.

Munch on
    edited April 2010
    4/27 Drawings

avfw9f.jpg
    Drawing on the left is a referenced video still of a UFC fighter. Right side is me working out the composition for a Rhino drawing.
    zwdw83.jpg
    Trying to loosen up with my inking a little, and use some broader strokes, though I rushed and got a little messier than I'd like on the bottom figure.

16arthi.jpg
    Thinking of doing a costume redesign for an old Batman character, Batman Jones, who was kind of a Silver Age Budget Batman.

rvevzm.jpg
    Today's Posemaniacs gesture drawings. These are actually kind of nice and relaxing to do. Hopefully I'll build a nice little library of poses while doing it.

2ryn9xd.jpg

n6xpgp.jpg

os9aja.jpg

2j1o9z4.jpg

37b6g.jpg

dd01eu.jpg

Munch on
  • ZaengoZaengo Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Munch wrote: »

Monkey with a gun. It's been pretty thoroughly discussed in the Doodle thread, and I'm not going to work on it anymore, but thought I'd toss it in for the sake of completeness
    219uydu.jpg
    6oot54.jpg
    2v2xoon.jpg
    3358n4h.jpg
    302pg8z.jpg

magilla is PISSED.

Zaengo on
    edited April 2010
    Zaengo wrote: »
    magilla is PISSED.
    He spent so long organizing those files. :(

4/28 Drawings
    ayli0n.jpg
    e129u9.jpg

jgmmhz.jpg

n1vz9l.jpg

mhq89t.jpg

2heey9t.jpg

30sg17s.jpg

Munch on
    edited April 2010
    Had a busy day, and not much time to draw.

4/29 Drawing[strike][/strike]
    mtl5aw.jpg

Munch on