As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Laptop in Europe

Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..."a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
edited April 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I am planning on bringing along my MacBook on a trip to Europe with me. It's not going to be moving anywhere--I'm leaving it in the hotel where we're staying.

I'm a bit confused about adapters though. I saw that Apple sells a "world adapter kit" for $40 which seems extremely overpriced. Is there a better way to rig myself up and acquire sweet, sweet electricity?

(The type of adapter I was told to purchase is the one in the picture below. I have no idea what the name for it is.)
plug_adapter_euro_lg.jpg

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
oE0mva1.jpg
Mike Danger on

• Options
    legallytiredlegallytired Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Check the black box thing on your power supply wire for the correct voltage or you will need another adapter to convert it.
    Europe is 220V

The picture you showed is only the plug adapter.

legallytired on
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Input: AC 15A 100-240V

So I guess I'm set in that department?

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I think you may need a bit more than the adapter you show!

However that of course depends on your definition of "Europe" but geographically Europe is aprox. 50 countires (the exact number depends on you definition of what consists a country) and it includes countries like Russia, Turkey, Albania and whole bunch of former Soviet republic members.

I do assume you mean western-Europe but even within the EU not all sockets are the same - for example the UK ones are different than those in the rest of the EU.

Also do check your adapter again. It needs to it is fine with 50 Hz else you have trouble. Most likely it will do so, else the 100-240V would make little sense, but better safe than holding a dead Mac :-)

BlindZenDriver on
    Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • Options
    EskimoDaveEskimoDave Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    those adaptor cost a buck, or a euro.

pick em up at a dollar store here, or there.

EskimoDave on
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You're fine, you just need the appropriate plug adapter.

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Just on the off chance that you dont know, and that it matters... The UK has different plugs to mainland Europe.

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    My Macbook is from the US (got in LA a couple of years back) and I've had no issue using anything more than a simple plug adaptor in the UK, parts of the mainland and NZ.

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!