As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Best DoxBox front-end and why?

DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
What are you recommendations for DOSBox front ends?

I've got D-Fend Reloaded, Dosbox Game Launcher, and DOG lined up to try on my computer...

Deusfaux on

• Options
    ueanuean Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Why do you need a frontend?

mount c:\games\ c:
    c:
    tetris.exe

uean on
    Guys? Hay guys?
    PSN - sumowot
  • Options
    Rotting MeatRotting Meat Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    What I use:
    coverjuke.jpg

An adaptation of Coverjuke

Rotting Meat on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    What I use:
    coverjuke.jpg

OK, now I can understand.

*looks at dosprompt with disgust*

uean on
    Guys? Hay guys?
    PSN - sumowot
  • Options
    ShensShens Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    What I use:
    coverjuke.jpg

King Graham was black in KQ2? I really need to replay that.

Shens on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I was gonna dis the whole frontend thing
    now I want that

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I use D-fend Reloaded.
    Why the hate for the frontends? They're handy so you can have different configs for different games. The command line was for back when I had an actual DOS computer and needed a boot disc to run TIE Fighter or SimCity 2000.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KlorgnumKlorgnum Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I was gonna dis the whole frontend thing
    now I want that

Klorgnum on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Sorry if I'm dumb, but how do I make coverjuke do that?

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    MordrackMordrack Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    uean wrote: »
    Why do you need a frontend?

mount c:\games\ c:
    c:
    tetris.exe
    I just add the mount commands and a directory listing to the autoexec section of the .conf file.

Mordrack on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Ugh, I tried using D-Fend Reloaded and it's a lot more complicated than simply editing the dosboxconf file.
    and that's why I hate front-ends, they add a layer of complexity to something that's very simple to me.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Rotting MeatRotting Meat Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    For Coverjuke, edit the coverjuke.ini and change:

defaultdir = C:\Games\DOS
    pathplayer = C:\Games\DOSBox\dosbox.exe (the location of your DoxBox)
    videoext = bat

This sets it up so any bat files will appear as 'albums' in coverjuke. If there is more than one in a directory you can right click on the 'album' and it will list them. My games are in individual subdirectories from C:\Games\DOS.

I just write a brief bat file for each game and place it in the directory:
    Sample:
    @echo off
    sierra
    exit

Coverjuke will automatically use a picture file in the directory as the 'album art' so just put your box art in the base.

Took me a little while to set it up initially, but now it works quite well.

(oh and just a note: Coverjuke uses a cache file, cache.ini, which you will need to delete to repopulate the list of games)

Rotting Meat on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Ugh. ITT I've gone from
    "psshaww who needs frontends I've got mad prompt typing skills yo"
    to
    "oh, that's actually pretty cool"
    to
    "psshaww frontends look like an assload of work just to NOT PLAY A GAME"

No thanks

uean on
    Guys? Hay guys?
    PSN - sumowot
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    well i think i got most of dosbox all figured out by this point but I have lingering questions

the "scaler" field is named poorly, and should really be "filter", right? cuz your choices are a bunch of smoothing and filtering algorithms

isn't any actual "scaling" done when you put in a resolution on the "fullresolution" field that's higher than what the game calls for?

i think this was throwing me off for a bit.

also, besides the fact that "surface" can't do aspect correction for non-square pixel games like Doom, what are these different outputs about? what are the differences? I can't find documentation on that part

lastly, why would I ever want to change "machine" away from svga_s3, and "memsize" from 16? any popular games offhand that want something else?

Oh, is there a good repository of info where people have listed out the best choices on configs for various games? ie, for doom you want memsize= this and machine= that, and so forth?

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    MordrackMordrack Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    It's a scaler in that you need one set so it can scale the output if you run DOSBox at a resolution other than default. Which usually also requires an output to be set at something other than surface. There's a good thread over at VOGONS.

As for changing the machine setting, it really depends on the game and or whether or not you would even know the difference in the graphics. I don't mean that to sound condescending it's just a minor thing that most people wouldn't even notice. Here's a great article about what it does. http://ipggi.wordpress.com/2008/03/16/dosbox-graphic-and-machine-emulation-cga-vga-tandy-pcjr-hercules/

Mordrack on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    But... I can change the resolution dosbox runs at with the fullresolution line. Even with scaler set to "none"? I'll check that thread

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Well, I always set it to enlarge the output without changing the aspect ratio. The DDRAW option is usually much better than surface or overlay, in practice, in my machine. I dunno why, but it just works better, and sometimes the other option don't work at all.

I actually got D-Fend Reloaded and moved all my Dosbox games to it. It makes it much easier to have multiple EXEs on the same folder (i.e. Wing Commander 2 and the 2 expansions) and troubleshooting too.
    I mean, this is so cool:
    dfendlist.png

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I edited the dosbox wiki a bunch to help clarify the things to other rookies that I didn't previously understand.

scaler setting does scaling and filtering BEFORE any additional scaling called for by the fullresolution adn window resolution settings

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Well, I always set it to enlarge the output without changing the aspect ratio. The DDRAW option is usually much better than surface or overlay, in practice, in my machine. I dunno why, but it just works better, and sometimes the other option don't work at all.

I actually got D-Fend Reloaded and moved all my Dosbox games to it. It makes it much easier to have multiple EXEs on the same folder (i.e. Wing Commander 2 and the 2 expansions) and troubleshooting too.
    I mean, this is so cool:
    dfendlist.png

Ahahahahahahaha, now it looks like DOS-SHELL Box!

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    it's funny, my Dad was using DOS-Shell since day 1, so my entire experience of DOS days reflects that.

It's weird to me to think that many of you (the majority) were just in the plain black C:> field the entire time

As in, my dad would setup shortcut and I would just use the arrows to go down and hit enter on a list of games installed.

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    But what if you needed to set the irq??!!

Or edit himem!!

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I grew up with the C:\> but when during middle school i used this shell type thing from TI, that a friend who'd worked on my computer left on there. I always felt a little illicit thrill as it loaded because it said it was not to be used outside of TI or by non-TI employees. I can't remember what it was callled though.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Malkor wrote: »
    But what if you needed to set the irq??!!

Or edit himem!!

The IRQ is set. Do you mean configure the game to know what your IRQ is? He either ran the setups once himself upon installation or I'd navigate to them and do it.

don't know what himem is

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    High Memory manager
    God those days were awful. I feel no nostalgia whatsoever. DOSBox + D-Fend is 100x easier and better.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    High Memory manager
    God those days were awful. I feel no nostalgia whatsoever. DOSBox + D-Fend is 100x easier and better.
    "This program requires 628k of conventional memory." These words still haunt me.

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    That's why you get a boot floppy that configures your memory for you so you can play games like SimCity 2000, Serf City, or Tie Fighter that you otherwise wouldnt.

Also handy when you try to 'upgrade' your version of DOS by copying the autoexec.bat and config.sys from your friends newer computer rendering your computer unbootable.

But who does that stuff?

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    That's why you get a boot floppy that configures your memory for you so you can play games like SimCity 2000, Serf City, or Tie Fighter that you otherwise wouldnt.

Also handy when you try to 'upgrade' your version of DOS by copying the autoexec.bat and config.sys from your friends newer computer rendering your computer unbootable.

But who does that stuff?

I hated all those fucking boot disks. And they weren't even consistent in making games run.
    Seriously, today is the golden age of DOS gaming.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Fortunately the boot disc I had (I think made for me by the same guy who put that TI DOSshell on there) covered all the bases I needed. Speaking of DOS gaming today, I tried to play Master of Orion 2 over the weekend, and kept running into the same graphics corruption I always do when I try it, and nothing I could do would fix it. Then I did some digging around, found that my disc was one of the ones that had both the DOS and Windows 95 versions on it. So I try running the DOS version in DosBox, but it for some reason doesn't find the CD-ROM (despite me configuring it to). Out of frustration I simply double-click the DOS executable from Windows, and it works. Perfectly. Correct scrolling speed in battles even.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

But who does that stuff?

I hated all those fucking boot disks. And they weren't even consistent in making games run.
    Seriously, today is the golden age of DOS gaming.

I have to agree. With the right tools you can even get the stubborn DOSGlide games running nowadays. :P
    I remember the time when I had to "highload" or even disable certain drivers in order to free conventional memory. Do I need the german keyboard layout or the mouse driver? It was like deciding between cutting off your penis or your leg.

Dratatoo on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Fortunately the boot disc I had (I think made for me by the same guy who put that TI DOSshell on there) covered all the bases I needed. Speaking of DOS gaming today, I tried to play Master of Orion 2 over the weekend, and kept running into the same graphics corruption I always do when I try it, and nothing I could do would fix it. Then I did some digging around, found that my disc was one of the ones that had both the DOS and Windows 95 versions on it. So I try running the DOS version in DosBox, but it for some reason doesn't find the CD-ROM (despite me configuring it to). Out of frustration I simply double-click the DOS executable from Windows, and it works. Perfectly. Correct scrolling speed in battles even.

See that would never work for me, because games had conflicting needs those days. Some need extra EMS while others demanded EMS was OFF. It was hell. Oh and the 5 minute mission load times in Wing Commander 3? FUN FUN FUN. And Origin games that had their own high memory manager (JEMM)... And trying to make speech work in Ultima VII... and fussing with MSCDEX drivers...
    ugh.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    First I hated using boot disks, they rarely worked right for me.

That being said I haven't set it back up in awhile. But I was using a DOS Box front end simply because it made things easier. Yes I can use DOS, it takes me a few minutes to remember how to do things. But using the front end and setting up short cuts to the Windows Games Menu that will actually launch the game is really nice.

Also check out http://www.sierrahelp.com/forums/ for fan made patches & installers for the different series. They have several fan patches for Quest for Glory and that even take care of Error 52 in QFG4.

Dark Shroud on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I got D-Fend mostly because it helped me creating a nice portable DOS gaming folder, which will be easy to copy to my other computers, or restore after a reformat. It also helps me keep track of all the game folders, ISOs, shortcuts, etc. And trouble shooting is also a hell lot faster now.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    For all you mac users out there, make sure you check out Boxer.

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I got D-Fend mostly because it helped me creating a nice portable DOS gaming folder, which will be easy to copy to my other computers, or restore after a reformat. It also helps me keep track of all the game folders, ISOs, shortcuts, etc. And trouble shooting is also a hell lot faster now.

Oh yeah! this! I have D-Fend installed on my flash drive with Master of Magic and X-COM set up. It's handy.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png