As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Monte Cook

Caio ThorCaio Thor Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Critical Failures
I sudenly developed interest on Monte Cook's work. Can anyone tell me about a good book (besides D&D v. 3.5?)

Caio Thor on

• Options
    frandelgearslipfrandelgearslip 457670Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    crap there are so many,

book of eldritch might and arcana unearthed are some of his best I thought.

frandelgearslip on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Caio Thor wrote: »
    I sudenly developed interest on Monte Cook's work. Can anyone tell me about a good book (besides D&D v. 3.5?)

I like Arcana Evolved. Ghost walk is 3.0 but a fairly interesting take on a common RPG issue. www.montecook.com has the stuff he's done on his own. Note that he didn't do Iron Heroes, that was Mearls.

Ptolus looks cool but I haven't really seen it at all.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I saw the Ptolus box for sale in my local hobby shop, I'd heard good things about it so I picked it up.

Looked at the price tag.

Put it back down.

There's a whole lot of stuff in there though, so it might work out as a good deal.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    HektorHektor Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    as far as i know (and am concerned) Monte Cook's 2nd ed and older stuff is all thats really worth while.

Hektor on
    final.gifDG-1.png
    Morskittar wrote:
    With as much gusto and enthusiasm I can muster: fuck tourney-legal! Tournaments are for Magic players, furries, and child molesters.
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Hektor wrote: »
    as far as i know (and am concerned) Monte Cook's 2nd ed and older stuff is all thats really worth while.

This is really a shame. AE has some wonderful campaign setting fluff in it. He neatly removes the good/bad alignment thing and the setting doesn't have any real "villians" that around still around. You have two powerful factions, both with differing viewpoints and opposed but I can easily see a normal adventuring group siding with either or neither.

Ghost walk is a bloody awesome idea.

Chaositech has some interesting idea in it.

The Book of Vile Darkness if incredibly fucking amazing and I'm shocked WotC had the balls to publish it. For a good long look at evil and the depths of depravity it's the best their is.

Frankly, once he got to choose what to write he was allowed quite a fair amount of creativity that he would have never gotten to do otherwise.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    TrenogTrenog Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    SUPERSUGA wrote: »
    I saw the Ptolus box for sale in my local hobby shop, I'd heard good things about it so I picked it up.

Looked at the price tag.

Put it back down.

There's a whole lot of stuff in there though, so it might work out as a good deal.

Well apparently they're selling the pdf for $60 USD now which includes everything that would be in the hardcover at some places.

Also, I picked up the Iron Heroes pdf for $5, although I heard theire coming out with a revision (errata'd) soon enough and so it'd be safer to wait until then to purchase it. Although they're saying that people who've got the older pdf when the newer one comes out gets a large discount on it.

One other thing: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=6854&highlight=arcana+evolved

(7 months ago'd)

Trenog on
    steam_sig.png
    Malkor wrote: »
    Rolo wrote: »
    opium is all natural shit son

makes you stronger

It also makes you immune to time.
    Bama wrote: »
    Two weeks ago, I lost the bulk of my female friends

She really hates it when you call her that.
    FCD wrote: »
    Ahhh, Orochimaru. Or, as I like to call him, Japanese Pedophile Voldemort.
  • Options
    ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I've never had a complaint that wasn't my problem and actually Monte Cook's with any of his work; he's a solid mechanic and a good designer. That said, Ptolus isn't anything special as far as campaign settings go (everything that makes it 'unique' has been published for core D&D at SOME point).

I'm actually really waiting for White Wolf d20, only because White Wolf's fluff is great, but their combat and interaction systems leave a LOT to be desired as far as dicey-ness and resolution with quickness.

Ardent on
    Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476