As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Hulk SMASH Puny Harddrive

DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
edited April 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So basically I have like 4 hard drives I want to physically destroy. I had a few fail on my in a short period of time but outside their warranties and ive had them sitting around for a significant amount of time since I can't plug them in and erase whatever is on them. In some cases I dont think ther ewas sensitive stuff on there but I think things like account and bank stuff may be on some so I want to obliterate them before I get rid.

But they seem to be built from adamantium or something, they're not easy to smash. I'd drop them out of the window except I'm afraid they'd just end up shattering the paving slabs in the garden.

Any tips on destroying these things? Can I just submerge them in something?

Thanks for reading.

DarkWarrior on

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Get a hammer and some goggles.

Or a bat.

Really any heavy, hard blunt object. Just make sure you're wearing eye protection when you do it.

Quid on
  • MrIamMeMrIamMe Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Get a powerful electromagnic.

Sledgehammers also work.

MrIamMe on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    No sledgehammer so I guess it'll have to be the hammer if I can find some glasses. I gave it a few whacks before but it didnt seem to do anything, guess I need to find a sturdier surface and hit it a lot harder.

DarkWarrior on
  • PirateJonPirateJon Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Fuck smashing. There is one way a drive should go out - viking style!

http://hackaday.com/2008/09/16/how-to-thermite-based-hard-drive-anti-forensic-destruction/

PirateJon on
    all perfectionists are mediocre in their own eyes
    edited April 2010
    Depending on how it's made you could also just take it apart with a screw driver.

Quid on
    edited April 2010
    NAh, tried that, its screws are a weird shape.

I think I may pass on the thermite.

DarkWarrior on
    edited April 2010
    Torx head screws probably.

Smashing the circuit board is enough to stop most people since you can't plug it in and have it work, but the thing with a simple smashing is that data can often be recovered afterward from the platters.

Honestly I drill mine old drives open and steal the magnets out of them with vise grips.

I've heard of soaking them in hydrochloric acid ($5/gal @ home depot) but never tried it.

PirateJon on
  • tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Take them apart and smash the platters. You can probably find a set of torx bits in a pound shop or something.

Keep the magnets. Just don't stick them to the fridge unless you want them to stay there indefinitely.

japan on
    edited April 2010
    Why keep the magnets?

DarkWarrior on
  • MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Because they are curiously strong.

MushroomStick on
  • piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I just recently disposed of some with goggles, a hammer, and a crowbar; the crowbar let me break the screws and the normal hammer was for applying the force necessary to do this. Once inside, the metal discs of the hard drive are pummeled unprotected!

piL on
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I gave it a few whacks before but it didnt seem to do anything, guess I need to find a sturdier surface and hit it a lot harder.

Pretend the hard drive called your mother a whore.

You gonna let it get away with that?

What kind of hammer are you using? See if a neighbor has a framing hammer or something similarly beefy and just go apeshit on it. You'll destroy the drives, get some cool magnets, and you'll be able to vent some aggression to boot.

SmokeStacks on
    edited April 2010
    I gave it a few whacks before but it didnt seem to do anything, guess I need to find a sturdier surface and hit it a lot harder.

Pretend the hard drive called your mother a whore.

You gonna let it get away with that?

What kind of hammer are you using? See if a neighbor has a framing hammer or something similarly beefy and just go apeshit on it. You'll destroy the drives, get some cool magnets, and you'll be able to vent some aggression to boot.

That mother fucker!

Its just a hammer, but I was holding back a little because I was afraid of something shattering or whatnot. Ill give it a crack tomorrow on concrete.

DarkWarrior on
  • DjCalvinDjCalvin MARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    May I suggest the Fubar?
    Haven't had much that stood in it's way and survived. Best.present.EVER

DjCalvin on
    edited April 2010
    Jesus, if it came in solid black it would be an urban explorer's wet dream.

I really want one now.

I am partial to anything described as a "Demolition and Utility Bar".

SmokeStacks on
    edited April 2010
    Because they are magic.

Quid on
  • DjCalvinDjCalvin MARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Thing goes through drywall like putty, rips down 2x4's like panties on prom night..
    Buy one.. they run $30 at lowes. Hammer + Claw + crowbar = bad ass

DjCalvin on
    edited April 2010
    Quid wrote: »
    Because they are miracles.

SmokeStacks on
  • SporkedSporked Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I usually just pound a phillips screwdriver through the case, through the platters. That's pretty unrecoverable.

Sporked on
    edited April 2010
    Sporked wrote: »
    I usually just pound a phillips screwdriver through the case, through the platters. That's pretty unrecoverable.

If there is any of the media material left on the platters, data can be recovered. This is why secure disposal requires multi-pass overwrites of data before the disk is physically destroyed. You've got to be pretty paranoid to worry about it though because it's not easy or cheap to do.

I remember seeing a cool article about data recovery from a drive that had been shot with a rifle, but could only find this old one.

PirateJon on
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Why keep the magnets?

They're usually neodymium, and ridiculously powerful. They're just fun things to have around.

japan on
    edited April 2010
    Hmm...Hammer does not work well, its not breaking through the shell very well and doing the otherside just sends bits of chipboard everywhere. Think Ill try it outside.

DarkWarrior on
  • GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I used a .44 Magnum after my last upgrade.

Anyway, yes, you can recover data from a destroyed hard drive, but unless you're running a company that has some proprietary technology, it's not really a huge concern. You're just looking to make it difficult for some random jackass to pull it out of a bin and start trying to access it. You're not looking to protect it from the characters of 24.

You can also use a metal drill bit. The disk will shatter if someone tries to spin it up.

GungHo on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, if you've broken the controller board and smacked it around with a hammer (which means you've probably jacked the heads too), it's going to be unusable to 99.999% of people who'd want to pull data off a discarded hard drive. And the remaining people don't give a shit about your harddrive, since the cost to recover data from it is probably more than what they'd get by at least an order of magnitude.

If you have any old speaker magnets you can try and mess it up a little that way. A guy on another forum I frequent works at a hospital, and he uses a decommissioned MRI in the basement to wipe their HDDs.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Romero ZombieRomero Zombie Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'd take mine to the desert and shoot the damn thing so full of holes, people will be worried more about getting tetanus then my data. Besides...shooting shit, especially shit that breaks on you is fun :)

Romero Zombie on
    steam_sig.png