As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

When Women Lost Their [Chat]s

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    jesus christ stop saying sar-cozy fifteen times a minute, please

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    This day is going by pretty fast you guys.

I got out of bed at 1:30 pm today, I love summer! :D

God I don't even remember the last time I slept past noon. And even then I would have to have had a patently ridiculous night prior.

I think I made it till 10:30 on new years morning.

I usually sleep in till 11 if I dont have to do anything special, I love sleep.

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited April 2010
    Pony wrote: »
    I'm not saying they deserve your gratitude, Will.

I just think it's ridiculous to think they're odious psychopaths.

You don't have to like them, but hating them while enjoying the fruits of their labors is ridiculous and hypocritical.

I think funeral direction, for example, is deeply unpleasant work I could never do myself and would find very disturbing.

Yet, a buddy of mine is a funeral director, and he's a good chap. I don't think he's a necrophiliac ghoul, even though he willfully does things that I am repulsed by. He tells me his job is actually rather pleasant most days, and he takes pride in his work. I don't think that makes him a psychopath.

It's one thing to say "I don't enjoy this thing, and I find the entire activity of it disturbing", it's quite another to say "The people who do this thing are psychologically damaged or unpleasant to be in the presence of".

One's a judgment of the act, the other is a judgment of the people who do the act.

There are times when this is appropriate, certainly, but labeling hunters as psychopaths is waaaay outside that time, I think.

Especially if you yourself are a meat eater and eat meat that comes from the factory farming system.

Look, it has centrally to do with motivation and necessity of the job

your funeral director buddy sounds fine to me. i don't know any funeral directors personally, but it strikes me as a difficult, important job and fundamentally humane.

a cop may or may not be an asshole, but is necessary for an orderly responsibility

a cop who does his job but really enjoys the part where he gets to push people around or, say, shoot humans is an psychopath.

a guy who just kind of goes out to push people around as a hobby is pretty much just a psychopath.

now

a guy who vocationally produces meat is necessary for a society where meat-eating is done is necessary

if that guy really takes joy in the bolt gun or mistreating the animals under his charge, it speaks poorly of his character.

now, a guy who goes in for hunting because he enjoys killing animals, but also makes proper use of the carcass might be a little suspect in my eyes, but not nearly as suspect as the guy who just likes to kill shit and doesn't even go through the formality of making use of the carcass.

I cannot as a blanket statement say that all hunters are psychopaths.

But people who describe themselves as "sport hunters" or "trophy hunters" raise some big red flags is what i am saying.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'd like to think my dad wasn't a psychopath.

But I'm not entirely sure.

I mean, he was a nice guy, and certainly loved his family.

But he also stockpiled ammunition and canisters of dried food in a reinforced storage room in preparation for the eventual apocalypse, and built secret compartments into the walls of my childhood home in which he hid guns just in case the Second Amendment were ever repealed.

So maybe I'm not the best judge of character on this particular issue.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    booo for this topic. I think I'll just get my ass kicked at Go again on my ipod.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    langfor6 wrote: »
    Olivia Munn has a nice body, but there's something about her face that sort of turns me off.

She's trying way too hard, I mean honestly her and Morgan Webb might as well be an xkcd comic for as much subtley they show in their careers.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Anyone for SC2 beta? Sotar.sotar

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Quid wrote: »
    Guys.

Pony's doing the thing where he singles out a specific subgroup of dumb people.

Pony just doesn't like ridiculously baseless prejudiced people.

I'm not sure what this post is or what it is doing!

But it is there and it's doing something!

Translating. It's what I do.

Quid on
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    This day is going by pretty fast you guys.

I got out of bed at 1:30 pm today, I love summer! :D

God I don't even remember the last time I slept past noon. And even then I would have to have had a patently ridiculous night prior.

I think I made it till 10:30 on new years morning.

I usually sleep in till 11 if I dont have to do anything special, I love sleep.

God I do too. My damn internal clock is just doesn't listen sometimes.

I also feel like my ability to get shit done starts at max early in the morning, and drops off considerably past 3PM.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I slept until 16:30 yesterday but I had the most ridiculous night ever prior.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Some hunters are creepy psychopaths. Some hunters are power-obsessed dickwads who only enjoy killing animals and showing off the animals they kill as part of some impotent grasp at primitive power fantasies.

Those people certainly exist.

But they don't represent the majority of hunters, or even a sizable portion of the community. They exist as this weirdo fringe that the rest of us dislike and decry because they make us look bad.

Pony on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Abdhyius wrote: »

What are you listening to?

And is the speaker American?

japan on
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Anyone for SC2 beta? Sotar.sotar

Hopefully tonight :?

When do you actually make an ID? I left it installing when I left for work this morning.

firewaterword on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2010
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    man, if i get started i can still rant like no one's business.

edit: guess which comment is mine, http://www.ultimateclearlake.com/2010/04/nasa-bolden

:^:

haha, people have responded.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    And then there is Ted Nuggent. He is the entertaining kind of crazy.

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
  • Options
    ResRes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    Feral wrote: »
    I'd like to think my dad wasn't a psychopath.

But I'm not entirely sure.

I mean, he was a nice guy, and certainly loved his family.

But he also stockpiled ammunition and canisters of dried food in a reinforced storage room in preparation for the eventual apocalypse, and built secret compartments into the walls of my childhood home in which he hid guns just in case the Second Amendment were ever repealed.

So maybe I'm not the best judge of character on this particular issue.

That doesn't seem like particularly psychopathic behavior. Paranoid, maybe, but not psychopathic.

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2010

I hate military time because it makes me do basic math in my head.

firewaterword on
  • Options
    langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I was in the Signal Corps, and I think it's pretty safe to say that as a whole we were not merciless, bloodthirsty killers. We were pretty much lazy fucks who would rather be playing video games than setting up communications, at least in all the units I was ever in.

langfor6 on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I wonder if Sarkozy's mom ever knitted him a Sar-cozy to keep him warm on those cold Hungarian nights.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Dyna are you the one in all caps? You're the one in all caps aren't you?

Quid on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Right in your head... I saw you counting fingers!

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited April 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Morticians have to wash the balls of dead men. They take a sponge, and they gently and carefully scrub a dead man's balls. This is part of what a mortician does in "preparing a body".

People choose to be morticians. They don't have to be, they choose to be. They might be choosing due to a bunch of external pressures (it's the family business, etc.) but in the end, they choose to do that work.

If a person enjoys being a mortician, does that make them a horrid ghoul? I think it would depend on the level of enjoyment, wouldn't you? If they derived like, sexual pleasure from it, or started salivating at the prospect of getting their hands on a corpse, I think we'd all think that was some psychologically unhealthy behavior.

But if he whistled while he worked, smiled and joked around with his co-workers, found some dark levity in his job, is that wrong? Does that make him morally repugnant?

I think not.

a guy who takes pride in his profession as a mortician is respectable

a guy who takes up embalming as a hobby because he liked scrubbing dead balls/ cutting open human bodies is creepy

a guy who takes pride in his profession as a butcher or rancher is respectable

a hobbyist who takes up the killing of animals because he revels in killing shit is creepy

how is this hard?

again, define "revels in killing"

You keep saying these things but you aren't clear to what extent you mean them.

Obviously, there's an extreme end to people who enjoy hunting where they are downright creepy and horrifying.

But there's a border there, where there are people who enjoy hunting but aren't creepy psychopaths, Will.

What I am saying is, for some people, they don't even recognize a border, and you aren't appearing to either with the way you are talking about it.

I object to that, think it's absurd, and hypocritical on top of that if you eat meat at all.

i don't see how the eating of meat is germane to this either way

because it's not the killing of animals as a necessity that i object to

but i agree that there is a continuum between "regarding the killing of an animal as a regrettable necessity behind the consumption of meat" and "reveling in the killing of another living creature"

i mean i have been fishing. i've killed fish! i regard it as kind of unpleasant and an unfortunate necessity if you want to eat a fish.

people who go fishing just so they can kill the fish and don't even bother with the meat (if such people exist) would be pretty creepy

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Sports Illustrated reports
    Since being rescued 20 months ago from the dogfighting ring financed by Michael Vick, all but a few of the abused pit bulls have been recovering in sanctuary, foster care and adoptive homes. Now even the most traumatized of them can have a happy new year.

Not linking the article because most of it is graphic descriptions of the squalid conditions the dogs previously lived in.

Feral on

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

edit: guess which comment is mine, http://www.ultimateclearlake.com/2010/04/nasa-bolden

All caps, double post. Classy.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Preacher wrote: »

Right in your head... I saw you counting fingers!
    I keep an abacus handy at all times for just this problem.

The click-clack of the beads brings me peace.

firewaterword on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I think we should make an effort to bring back the Leibniz hairstyle

200px-Gottfried_Wilhelm_von_Leibniz.jpg

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited April 2010

that one guy understands that all caps is extra-persuasive!

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Feral wrote: »
    Sports Illustrated reports
    Since being rescued 20 months ago from the dogfighting ring financed by Michael Vick, all but a few of the abused pit bulls have been recovering in sanctuary, foster care and adoptive homes. Now even the most traumatized of them can have a happy new year.

Not linking the article because most of it is graphic descriptions of the squalid conditions the dogs previously lived in.

Man tat's just his cultcha boy.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    In all seriousness I think I have some kind of numeric dyslexia.

Like if I read a bunch of numbers out loud I can almost guarantee I'll transpose one or two of them.

firewaterword on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

that one guy understands that all caps is extra-persuasive!

Well it is mother fucking cruise control for cool.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    japan wrote: »

documentary on the war in ossetia/georgia

it's some british dude, Condolezza Rice, and Saakashvili

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    God this wootoff is fucking dire.

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Guys you know whats a great show? 30 rock, I don't know why I never watched it before.

Just started this past weekend and I am already almost done season 2

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • Options
    BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    BTP wrote: »
    BTP wrote: »
    Is there still anything like this being sold today? If so, WHERE?!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playskool_Pipeworks

Seriously. Anyone?

http://www.toobeez.com/

That's pretty much it, but the tubes look thinner than the original pipeworks from what I remember. Hmm...

Thank you. At least I know where I can get some near me if that's the best option. :)

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Guys you know whats a great show? 30 rock, I don't know why I never watched it before.

Just started this past weekend and I am already almost done season 2

Have you seen Better Off Ted?

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I mean, isn't Saakashvili a harder name to pronounce than Sarkozy?

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010

documentary on the war in ossetia/georgia

it's some british dude, Condolezza Rice, and Saakashvili

Worst dp ever, I mean condi couldn't even pretend it was rove and cheney.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I think using the terms "sport hunter" or "trophy hunter" as some kind of slur to describe hunters you think are creepy weirdos or pathetic losers who don't want a challenge or are outright poachers belies a massive ignorance of hunting as an activity.

All hunters find sport in what they do. All hunters choose to hunt and enjoy the act of hunting itself. If they didn't, they wouldn't do it. They don't need it to survive. Not anyone who is defined as a hunter in the western world, anyway.

"Subsistence hunter" creates a false comparison, where some hunting is okay so long as you eat what you kill, because that somehow justifies the act of choosing to hunt and enjoying it.

Hunting is hunting. Some hunters are assholes. Many are ignorant gun-nut jerkbags. Some are outright psychopaths, but that's pretty rare. Trying to create some kind of distinction between "subsistence hunters" and "trophy hunters" smacks of someone who doesn't hunt trying to create some kind of false terminology so they can say "hunters I like" and "hunters I don't like".

Pony on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I wonder how a Woot Off happens.

Like maybe they just see something and say, yeah we'll buy that, and it just gets thrown on a pile and eventually they have no more room for the pile and they gotta get rid of it.

Maybe Woot.com is just a guy who orders stupid crap for his company that they don't want and for some reason he gets away with it and is never fired.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    What's a woot off?

Nerdgasmic on
This discussion has been closed.