As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

TV cropping sides of HD feed? [solved]

FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
edited April 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So my parents got a Sony Bravia KDL 52W4100 about a year ago. Got them set up and haven't thought about it since.

Then recently I saw it again while they were watching an HD feed over their Dish Network box and the sides were cropped. Meaning on a channel like ESPN2 I could see the entire bottom ticker's vertical, but the left side I only got half of the info box and the little ESPN tag on the lower right only read "ES."

I went through their TV settings and couldn't find anything strange, and the satellite box was set to 1080 at 16x9. Today I brought my 360 over and it displayed at 1080p just fine, switching cables and ports for the satellite box left the same issue.

Any ideas on what the problem is/how to fix it?

MOBA DOTA.
FightTest on

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    FightTest wrote: »
    So my parents got a Sony Bravia KDL 52W4100 about a year ago. Got them set up and haven't thought about it since.

Then recently I saw it again while they were watching an HD feed over their Dish Network box and the sides were cropped. Meaning on a channel like ESPN2 I could see the entire bottom ticker's vertical, but the left side I only got half of the info box and the little ESPN tag on the lower right only read "ES."

I went through their TV settings and couldn't find anything strange, and the satellite box was set to 1080 at 16x9. Today I brought my 360 over and it displayed at 1080p just fine, switching cables and ports for the satellite box left the same issue.

Any ideas on what the problem is/how to fix it?
    I know that some TVs have a "zoom" feature in the settings. I have a Samsung with this, it's input-specific too so TV might be zoomed in while HDMI/component isn't. I've also had a few occasions where switching through inputs, it would do what you're describing until I switched out of that input and back into it.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You have indirectly solved my problem. For some reason the word "cropped" was overwhelming any possibility of searching for zoom. "Dish network" and zoom popped up my solution in Google.

Turns out the asterisk button the Dish remote functions as a "format" button as well, and apparently they must have hit it while fumbling about with it like Zoolander monkies.

Thank you, kind intertron.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
This discussion has been closed.