As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GW2]We're all waiting very, very patiently for class reveals. *twitch*

• Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The 5 weapon-based skills will effectively be 10-15 interchangable skills, then we have 5 open-ended choices (one of which is support, but that is not so different from GW1) including the elite. It seems pretty nice to me, and it will allow people to get a more solid grasp of combat at beginner and competitive levels. The dedicated support slot will help de-emphasize having a "healbot" which is something I really think MMOs need to do.

Also, regarding weapons: http://www.onlinewelten.com/games/guild-wars-2/specials/kampfsystem-teil-2-waffen-klassen-rassen-5866/seite-4/
    One-Handed: Axe, dagger, mace, pistol, scepter, and sword.
    Two-Handed: Greatsword, hammer, longbow, rifle, shortbow, and staff.
    Offhand only: Focus, shield, torch, and warhorn.
    Many professions can also wield a one-handed weapon in their offhand. A weapon in the offhand will have different skills than that same weapon wielded in the main hand. A warrior, for example, can learn to dual-wield and choose to equip two swords, which would give him three skills from the sword in his main hand and two skills from the sword in his offhand.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    No scythes? No dervishes then, I guess.

Pistols, though. I'm gonna be all over some pistoleer action.

reVerse on
  • Options
    grrarggrrarg Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Steam has the Guild Wars Trilogy on sale for $19.99 because of the anniversary.

Are there still enough people playing to get groups and/or is the storyline stuff soloable? How long does it take to get through the storyline?

I tried the beta back in the day but never bought the game. Guess I'll give it a shot for $20 just to be familiar with the history for GW2, which sounds like it will be much better.

grrarg on
  • Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I quite enjoyed my blood-based Meleemancer, Necro/War in GW1... I am going to kind of miss that. Though I don't think I ever even hit cap honestly.

Dranyth on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    reVerse wrote: »
    No scythes? No dervishes then, I guess.

Pistols, though. I'm gonna be all over some pistoleer action.
    I will miss Dervish also. Maybe in an expansion? They are going to add new races in expansions, so they will probably add classes also. New classes was a major feature of GW chapters.
    There are eight professions in Guild Wars 2, many of which will be familiar to fans of Guild Wars, as well as a few professions new to the Guild Wars world. Each of these professions is roughly categorized by the type of armor they wear: scholars wear light armor, adventurers wear medium armor, and soldiers wear heavy armor. Currently there are three scholar professions, three adventurer professions and two soldier professions.

Also.. regarding stuff like shooting arrows through a Wall of Flame -> Fire Arrows.
    There are literally hundreds of [cross-profession] combinations for players to discover.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Options
    Catastrophe_XXVICatastrophe_XXVI Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    grrarg wrote: »

Are there still enough people playing to get groups and/or is the storyline stuff soloable? How long does it take to get through the storyline?

I tried the beta back in the day but never bought the game. Guess I'll give it a shot for $20 just to be familiar with the history for GW2, which sounds like it will be much better.

YES, I was considering this. Can we set up a noob PAers group? I played GW for a little bit (a month) when it came out but i have to imagine a lot has changed. for $20? Does the trilogy include all the expansions?

Catastrophe_XXVI on
    PSN ID: Catastrophe_xxvi
    3DS FC: 5086-1134-6451
    Shiny Code: 3837
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

I guess that doesn't include that Eye of the North business, or whatever it was called? I never played that one, was it any good? I'm going to try and convince a friend of mine to buy GW1 this weekend though. I haven't played in months, if not a year or two, and would be up for starting a new character and doing some story stuff with you.

Dissociater on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    After reading that interview I think I might have to make a Sylvari. I always liked providing damage with off healing.

I was the most bummed GW player when they killed my paragon's healing ability. That was MY tree.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    manaleak34manaleak34 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Pistols? Oh man I want to make a ranger just so I can play a duel wielding desperado.

manaleak34 on
    XBL/Steam:ManaCrevice
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Yet another interview: http://uk.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/guildwars2/news.html?sid=6260499&om_act=convert&om_clk=newsfeatures&tag=newsfeatures;title;1&mode=previews

Includes specific examples of both racial and Elementalist skills.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Options
    kevbayerkevbayer Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

YES, I was considering this. Can we set up a noob PAers group? I played GW for a little bit (a month) when it came out but i have to imagine a lot has changed. for $20? Does the trilogy include all the expansions?

Massively.com will be doing that (starting in pre-searing) . The Trilogy includes everything but Eye of the North.

kevbayer on
    Find me at:
    My book reviews, twitter, FB.
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

There is only one expansion and three stand-alone games. The trilogy includes the games and not the expansion. However, while the expansion is really, really good, you can probably get plenty enjoyment out of just the three base games and can decide later whether or not to pick up Eye of the North (the expansion).

And for anyone else considering the Guild Wars Trilogy deal on Steam, most of it can be soloed, especially if you play through Nightfall (the latest one) first since it will give you access to heroes (customizable henchmen you can control directly) which make soloing much easier. And I'm currently playing again a bit, especially while at work, so if anyone wants they can look me up (Darmak Morningwood) and I'll probably be more than happy to help ya out.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Darmak wrote: »

There is only one expansion and three stand-alone games. The trilogy includes the games and not the expansion. However, while the expansion is really, really good, you can probably get plenty enjoyment out of just the three base games and can decide later whether or not to pick up Eye of the North (the expansion).

And for anyone else considering the Guild Wars Trilogy deal on Steam, most of it can be soloed, especially if you play through Nightfall (the latest one) first since it will give you access to heroes (customizable henchmen you can control directly) which make soloing much easier. And I'm currently playing again a bit, especially while at work, so if anyone wants they can look me up (Darmak Morningwood) and I'll probably be more than happy to help ya out.

It may sound obvious (or maybe not so obvious to the people new to the game), but it's worth noting that while the trilogy games are stand-alone, they are also connected, and any characters/items/henchmen you gain in one campaign will carry over to the other, and you can transfer between the standalone games at will. It's all one big connected world.

Dissociater on
  • Options
    KamiKami Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Arrrgghhh I can't log in to my account after contacting Support like 4 times.

First is because I forgot my password, second is because I couldn't remember a character name (because it had been 9+ months since my last login), but now (even with proper information) it wont log me in, period.

Still giving me error code 227. :cry:

Kami on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I'm downloading the trial now. Guess I'll see if I can see myself playing a lot of it.

Catastrophe_XXVI on
  • Options
    CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Whoa. From that most recent interview link:
    Asura: The abilities of the asura have a lot to do with golems and magic. An asura player might use a simple "arcane blast" or create a deadly "radiation field." If they are really in a bind, they can summon a magical "golem battlesuit" that they can climb into and use to devastate their foes.

:shock:

Caedere on
    FWnykYl.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Presumably that (and the other "impressive" racial skills) will be Elite. Still super awesome though.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Options
    sidhaethesidhaethe Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Well, I am really very bad about appointment gaming, and it sometimes feels like I am the only person operating on a PST schedule, BUT -- I am up for any rejuvenation of GW the first, especially since I'm trying to get the Tyrian Protector title, so anyone to run missions with would be a boon. If you're on, I'm Neriah Gerasim (and others).

I also have two ~10 lowbies in post-searing Ascalon to group with newbies if needed.

As for GW2, if there were any doubts I'd be rolling an Elementalist as my first/main, these videos killed them. My only question is whether I'll be a Norn or Human first (and I'm leaning heavily towards Norn).

sidhaethe on
  • Options
    GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    If anyone is trying out GW1 because of what they've seen of GW2, just remember that the games will still be fairly different from what I've read. They'll share a lot, but just because you don't like GW1, doesn't mean you won't like GW2.

Anyways, I'm still very active with GW1, so anyone that wants can hit me up on "Geod of Exile."

I'm also thinking no Monks in GW2, which makes me very very sad.

Geod on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    The best way to put it would be that GW2 is going to take the very best of GW1 and expand/add to it, while doing away with some of the limitations.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I am a bit concerned by what I read in one of the articles (too many windows open - cannot find!) about the non-combat activities - they were described as being an expansion on the current minigames we now have in GW1 such as roller beetles, snowball arena, nine rings etc.

I was rather hoping for something more like housing and crafting being added to the game :(.

sidhaethe on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Enig wrote: »
    The best way to put it would be that GW2 is going to take the very best of GW1 and expand/add to it, while doing away with some of the limitations.

I gotta agree with that! I think that's pretty much what they were going for: they realized they had reached the limits of the engine driving GW, and in order to do the things they wanted, they had to stop with the expansions (new chapters), and recreate the game.

The graphics, imo, look similar in the screenies and vids they've posted of GW2. But that's a good thing - I've always liked the GW look as compared to other MMOs.

kevbayer on
    Find me at:
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    sidhaethe wrote: »
    I am a bit concerned by what I read in one of the articles (too many windows open - cannot find!) about the non-combat activities - they were described as being an expansion on the current minigames we now have in GW1 such as roller beetles, snowball arena, nine rings etc.

I was rather hoping for something more like housing and crafting being added to the game :(.

Yeah, housing would be neat. We'll have to wait and see. I'm one of those that abhors crafting. I already have a job in RL, I don't want one in a game :-) If I want something, I want to buy it or have it drop. My wife, OTOH, absolutely adores crafting and is trying to get into the beta for some game that's almost all crafting.

kevbayer on
    Find me at:
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    sidhaethe wrote: »

I am fairly sure that they have said crafting will be in GW2... not that it is ever adds much to MMOs other than an extra way to grind. They haven't mentioned housing, and I expect that will come later if they add it. I really like player housing, but it is a pretty low priority thing in the end.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I can understand the resistance to crafting, and I've certainly done crafting I thought was a boring grind, (coughLOTROcough), but when it's a more interactive process, I enjoy it because it gives me something to do in-game that isn't combat and isn't competitve (the way snowball arena and rollerbeetle racing is). I don't always feel like going up against someone else, and nine rings is just AFK-ing.... but so is some crafting! :)

Something like EQ2's more involved crafting would be awesome for me. I just like having an excuse not to log out, I guess, which is what I do now when I don't feel like fighting.

sidhaethe on
  • Options
    grrarggrrarg Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The Steam download of the GW Trilogy is only 2.2gb. Is that everything or will more be streamed? If so, is there any way to stream everything at once overnight instead of having to stop and download all the time?

grrarg on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    The Steam download of the GW Trilogy is only 2.2gb. Is that everything or will more be streamed? If so, is there any way to stream everything at once overnight instead of having to stop and download all the time?

That is not the whole game.

To force everything you add " -image " to the command line of the application shortcut. See: http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Command_line_arguments#-image

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    GW won't let trial accounts talk out loud. how do I identify items?

I can't even ask anyone for help. :(

Catastrophe_XXVI on
  • Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    GW won't let trial accounts talk out loud. how do I identify items?

I can't even ask anyone for help. :(

There's a kit that you can buy from merchants to identify stuff.

Peccavi on
  • Options
    AthaedosAthaedos Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I was getting mildly excited and thinking about which class I would be, then I was kind of ambivalent to picking a race... until I remembered that you can roll a Charr. That's going to be awesome.

Athaedos on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Due to the interesting racials and the character-centric story I expect I will roll one of every race at some point. I also expect to roll one of most (if not all) of the professions, if the Elementalist is any indication. Ele was a low priority character for me in GW1, but in GW2 it looks very interesting.

Probably going to go Charr first, followed by a Human or Sylvari. Will have to wait until more is known though.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Enig wrote: »
    Due to the interesting racials and the character-centric story I expect I will roll one of every race at some point. I also expect to roll one of most (if not all) of the professions, if the Elementalist is any indication. Ele was a low priority character for me in GW1, but in GW2 it looks very interesting.

Probably going to go Charr first, followed by a Human or Sylvari. Will have to wait until more is known though.

And:

healthcare.jpg

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    Darth NathanDarth Nathan Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Oh Man.

So good.

SO GOOD.

I am super psyched about this game from these tiny morsels of information. Everything just sounds so wonderful. Especially some of the info about the story quests, like if you need to get some information off a bad guy, you can break into his house while he's away, or attend a party with him and ply him with drink or whatever (this is from the mmorpg.com interview linked earlier in the thread).

These story elements, combined with the CRAZY PHYSICS COMBOS combat system.

All my dicks, etc.

Darth Nathan on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So friend of mine is trying to get me into this, which is cool because I already have a copy!
    ...Unfortunately, I had made a character on it a long time ago and can't for the life of me remember that char's name. I emailed support/etc. three days ago, and am waiting for a reply... How long does this take? Anyone have any hope-inspiring tips?

Grape Ape on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I think ANet has had to deal with more than a few customers since the character-name-login change. They should be able to help you.

Back to GW2.. looking forward to what they say about weapons, etc. tomorrow. It seems that article about weapons (that I posted on the previous page) was released early, and was meant to be released tomorrow in conjunction with the official info. Hopefully there are some new gems of information waiting for us when ANet posts something about it though.

Fingers crossed for a short wait till the 2nd profession reveal.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Options
    GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, ANet has had to deal with a lot of people not remembering their character names. Give them a little bit of time, and if you don't hear anything, give them a call (http://help.ncsoft.com/cgi-bin/ncsoft.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=4654). They're usually pretty good about it, but give them a bit of time.

Yeah, the weapons thing I'm pretty sure was leaked, or wasn't supposed to be posted until tomorrow. Even if it was intentional, I'm hoping for some cool videos to go along with it tomorrow when it comes out for real - and of course, the 2nd profession reveal. Though it will probably be Warrior, which will be kinda anticlimactic.

Geod on
  • Options
    AthaedosAthaedos Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Alright, so I never went through Nightfall even though I bought it a while ago... anyone want to play through with me? I'm open virtually anytime (finishing last 3 credits of college and I don't have a job), I'm thinking tomorrow (Thursday) at 6PM PST if someone responds soon enough or same time Friday. If someone is up for it tell me what time works best for you and we can do that. Being on vent is a major plus, we can use the PA one. Alternatively, if you wanted to go through all three or two of them I'd be up for that as well. Any takers?

Athaedos on
  • Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I am going to play the shit out of Guild Wars 2.

First character will be a god damned Charr Warrior. Absolutely certain.

My favourite two classes were Warrior and Paragon so heres hoping there is a Paragonesque class as well.

Cobalt60 on
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    This might be the best place to ask. It appears that I have... fuckered myself over, as one might say. I reset my password for what I am sure is my old GW account, and foolishly clicked through the process without realizing that the secret question hinted at my password.

It sent the new password to an email I don't use/remember of.

So. Yeah. Halp?

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
This discussion has been closed.