As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wedding/Co-worker Etiquette

Susan DelgadoSusan Delgado Registered User regular
edited April 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So here's a question some friends and I were discussing... If you work in a small office where most everyone knows each other and are fairly well connected to each other, how do you go about announcing a wedding without offending people or even just announcing your name change (if you decide to change it) and not alienate office friends?

The other premise is that certain office friends that you are particularly close to would be invited, others would not.

My friend, R, says that you just don't tell anyone, except maybe a brief email to tell people to use your new name. If they get offended for not being invited they can suck and deal because it's your day, not theirs.

My friend, V, says you should share the happy new/occasion with your co-workers (since it's a small office) but not make it public that you're inviting some people but not others and if people are offended they didn't get invited then take the time to explain why you didn't or couldn't.

Personally, I don't know. I feel like I'd like to share that news if I was getting married, but also I wouldn't want to have to explain to everyone my motives for inviting who I wanted to my wedding. I feel just a sudden name change announcement in a pretty tight-knit office would be a big brush off to most people and leave them feeling jilted, but yeah, it'd be my day and I'm paying for it, so I can invite or not invite anyone I want.

Granted, I'm not getting married anytime soon, but this really has me curious about what the current etiquette is for these kinds of things.

Go then, there are other worlds than these.
Susan Delgado on

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Depends on the mix of men and women, assuming an American office environment.

Some people will get offended no matter what you do, so best you can hope for is a nuetral outcome. I would make the announcement but not on company time/resources (i.e., don't send an email to the group), then try to encourage those who you are inviting to keep it low-profile; again, not talking about it while "on the clock"

While it will probably slip, most people know weddings are expensive so if they're not invited it may not be a personal slight, just a finnancial choice.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Just tell people you're getting married. Don't even bring up the issue of invitations. If I was just a co-worker, I'd assume I wasn't getting one. Usually those are for friends and family. Just mail the invitations to those you want, don't go handing them out like valentines in grade school. If someone asks, tell them it's a fairly small ceremony so you only invited close friends and family.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    ihmmyihmmy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm with V on this, and also vote for offering to buy pizza or subs or something for lunch as a celebration for it and just say something about how you're sorry you can't invite them, but you're trying to keep it a fairly small wedding etc. Ensure the invitations you do give are veryvery subtle, and give them outside of work if at all humanly possible.

ihmmy on
  • Options
    PirateJonPirateJon Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I invited half of the people I worked closely with, as they were friends from work. the others were co-workers so no invite. There was no drama or butthurt-ness that I was aware of.

PirateJon on
    all perfectionists are mediocre in their own eyes
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    This is how I've always seen it done. You invite who you want to your wedding. Anybody else on the cusp get's invited to the dance at the reception.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    ihmmy wrote: »
    I'm with V on this, and also vote for offering to buy pizza or subs or something for lunch as a celebration for it and just say something about how you're sorry you can't invite them, but you're trying to keep it a fairly small wedding etc. Ensure the invitations you do give are veryvery subtle, and give them outside of work if at all humanly possible.

Don't do this. It's just weird and unnecessary, like inviting everyone to a lunchroom birthday party because you're not inviting them to the real one. And that's a bit insulting.

Is there someone you're close with? Mention over lunch that you picked your wedding date. I'm assuming they know you are engaged already so making small talk won't be weird. And then don't bring it up again but you don't have to avoid it either. If someone asks how planning is you can talk about it (don't go on for 10 minutes about napkins like you would with your MoH).

If you just got engaged and haven't started planning yet then do the same thing. Mention it to the person you're closest with. In a small office news like this travels fast.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    TheFullMetalChickenTheFullMetalChicken Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    ihmmy wrote: »

Seconded. If your not getting married any time soon just put it out there and enjoy the attention. Also the words "cheap as possible" and "very small" get you a tonne of breathing room.

It also helps if your the groom, cause you have no idea whats going on.

If your the bride I have no idea but not mentioning it probably isn't an option cause it's going to slip out.

TheFullMetalChicken on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    The advice was more for our friend, M, who works at an office similar size to R and V. Shoot, I wish I had to worry about this stuff!

I guess the issue was that the ladies she works with all have this weird sense of entitlement and tend to invite themselves along to dinners, parties, that are thrown outside of work. R says that M is not particularly close to anyone except one person that she's known forever (and plans to invite to the nuptials).

Chatting with the girls, it sounds like there's at least one co-worker that M *used* to be good friends with and has fallen out with a bit in the past year. An example V gave me was that M tried to unfriend this lady from FaceBook and she about had a meltdown in the middle of the office...on the verge of tears because "she didn't want to be friends anymore" kind of stuff.

These girls M works with sound craaaazy.

Susan Delgado on
  • Options
    KistraKistra Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I invited one person from my work when I got married. She was the only one that I ever hang out with outside of work. I think it would have been weird if I had tried to hide the fact that I was getting married from the rest of the people I worked with though. And especially difficult for females who tend to show up one day to work with a sparkly ring on their left hand.

When people ask you how you are doing, say something like "wonderful, I actually got engaged over the weekend". People you work with and aren't close to won't expect an invitation. For the few people that you are close to send the invitation through the mail, do not hand them out personally.

I regularly got wedding advice from people in my office that I wasn't particularly close to, they weren't coming to the wedding and didn't care but they all still had advice on how to find the best photographer/cake person/DJ/ect or they wanted to see pictures of the dress or whatever.

Kistra on
    Animal Crossing: City Folk Lissa in Filmore 3179-9580-0076
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The phrase "I appreciate your enthusiasm but we've had to limit the guest list to just family and childhood friends to stay on budget" will go a long way to placating those insistent on coming.

Usagi on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I think the ladies M works with know she's engaged...I mean, I assume they do. Like Kistra said, kinda hard to hide the big sparkly.

I gave the advice of keeping the arrangements on the hush-hush and being prepared to ask her ushers/big brothers to act as "security" if the office folk start trying to crash her big day, but also to be gracious with the co-workers giving her wedding advice since some of them might actually have a good contact or idea.

Sound solid?

Susan Delgado on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I think the ladies M works with know she's engaged...I mean, I assume they do. Like Kistra said, kinda hard to hide the big sparkly.

I gave the advice of keeping the arrangements on the hush-hush and being prepared to ask her ushers/big brothers to act as "security" if the office folk start trying to crash her big day, but also to be gracious with the co-workers giving her wedding advice since some of them might actually have a good contact or idea.

Sound solid?

I think so yes. As long as she isn't always talking about her wedding at work and when people ask about it she keeps the convo to a minimum she isn't isn't being rude and she isn't being forced to talk about her wedding with people she'd rather not.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    It sucks, because in my world I'd just invite who I wanted and talk about what I wanted, and people would know better than to be fucktards about it. But it sounds like the following is the best advice given your fiance's situation:

1) She should keep all wedding talk at work to a minimum, and avoid it entirely if she can, other than pointing out the obvious (that she's getting married and that the date will be XYZ and that yes, she's very happy and can't wait for it - all while slowly backing away)

2) If she wants to talk to some co-workers about the wedding, they should ideally be invited, and the conversation should happen outside of work (e.g., lunch break down the street).

3) All invitations should occur outside of the workplace setting, with the understanding that she does not want to talk about it at work because she "doesn't want to make a big deal out of it"

4) If people who are not invited start insinuating themselves or asking what they should wear and stuff like that, she should clearly say, "I'm so sorry, I would love to invite you, but we are trying to keep the ceremony small and cut down on the cost". Keep in mind that some people are just oblivious and make assumptions, so this gives them a chance to just be like, "Oh hey that's cool". The people who would get offended at this point are the kind you shouldn't give two shits about (at which point the backup of having them get kicked out might work, or they just might be bitchy enough for them to use it as an excuse to cause a scene).

In short: be honest, don't rub it in people's faces, invite people outside of work, and if someone tries to sneak in just cut them off from the start.

Inquisitor77 on
  • Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I just recently doled out my invitations, but my workplace is odd at best so YMMV.

It's about 35 people, but only half got invitations. Obviously, there's people there who I knew would (A) never be able to show up, and (B) I loathe and do not want showing up. And a few in-between. So I quietly handed out the invites over the period of a couple days. Now, it's on a work day, we don't have weekends off, and probably a quarter of those who got invites will be able to come. I had a plan in place to get invites early to those I really wanted to show up, but in the end, I decided to let them figure it out by who asks for time off first, and everyone is still welcome to come to the late-into-the-night reception. And if anyone asks (so far, no one has ... not even the bitchy one who will openly gripe about everything to everyone) about not getting one, my standby was "I couldn't invite everyone, so I limited it to those who know me and Crystal best".

MetroidZoid on
    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!