As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I am [Iron Man]

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Detroit Steel, so it's a union made Iron Man knockoff that will fall apart halfway through the issue (hi-yooooo).

I approve of having more robots to beat up the hero robot, and not humans eating energy paste to shoot lasers from their fingers.

TexiKen on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I liked Kid Stane's bleeding edge tech. In general, I prefer Iron Man fight people who do things he can't do rather than simply fighting in invariably inferior suits of armor.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited April 2010
    The way I see it, writers need to realize is that there can be smart people in the Marvel U who aren't Reed, Tony, or Pym (or even Hank McCoy) or cliched evil Army engineer/super villain. Stark Industries shouldn't have a monopoly on robots. Even Reed should have an Iron Man type armor (HERBIE doesn't count) that he made just to tick off Tony. It should be something every major technology company has at their disposal. Reverse engineering old Iron Man tech, creating new things, we should see robots helping to build skyscrapers with regular construction workers, where it doesn't become all sci-fi but it also helps make sense for a world filled with brilliant people. Where someone creates something that has no relevance to shooting lasers from your hands but Tony is envious he didn't think of it.

It's like over in the Great Ten at DC, China reverse engineers alien technology to make super heroes. We should see that now in the Marvel U, instead of references to the Crimson Dynamo from years ago. Or how in Venezuela you have a commie like Chavez trying to nationalize the one private tech firm in the country for the sole reason of wanting to make the Iron Venezuelan.

Basically John Jackson Miller's Iron Man run only bigger and more global.

TexiKen on
  • MarkGoodhartMarkGoodhart Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Pfffft armor. The real money would be in Pym Particles.

MarkGoodhart on
    edited April 2010
    Every armored character should fill some kind of niche that is uniquely theirs, since too much overlap renders everyone generic. Ghost, for instance, is the only invisible and intangible saboteur. So long as he stays that way, he doesn't feel like another evil Iron Man in the same way Titanium Man and Dynamo do.

Robos A Go Go on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Any news on that second Iron Man ongoing by Fred Van Lente?

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    edited April 2010
    It's going to be a look back at Iron Man's past, his first encounters with all his rogues, his women, etc. Almost like an X-Men Legacy for Iron Man or the short lived Captain America: Sentinel of Liberty series.

TexiKen on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Ah OK, I like that idea more than another ongoing in present time.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    They did a story arc in Batman Confidential that was a corporate showdown. It was Wayne Enterprises vs Lexcorp. They were competing to develop some hot new bomber for the US Govt. It was full of corporate espionage, sabotage, and of course Batman.

Something like that would work really well in Iron Man. Give Tony a rival (not necessarily a villain, just a person with questionable business ethics) to be a competitor in the robotics and technology field.

Lucascraft on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Hensler wrote: »
    http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2010/04/detroit-steel-blackwater-meets-nascar-in-new-iron-man-storyline/

The villain of the next Iron Man arc will be Justine Hammer... *groan*. But she is going to have her own version of Iron Man named Detroit Steel. As since Iron Man should be about robot guys punching each other, I approve.
    11856storystory_full-0138009..jpg

Anyone else getting an Ultron-y vibe from that helmet?

Wildcat on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Most definately getting an Ultron-y vibe from that helmet.

Solar on
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »

Basically John Jackson Miller's Iron Man run only bigger and more global.

Texiken, you're awesome. Do you want to be cowboys together?
    bbmountain3.jpg

Hensler on
    edited April 2010
    So here's a preview for The All-New, All Different Iron Man, complete with a yucky new trade dress (a thin font for a guy who's name has Iron in it? pfft).

I'm actually hoping this is more Invincible Iron Man #1-6 and not Iron Man #7-24, crossing my fingers hoping.

TexiKen on
  • cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    They are still doing two covers and neither is considered a variant... and that is making me angry.

cardboard delusions on
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »

I'm actually hoping this is more Invincible Iron Man #1-6 and not Iron Man #7-24, crossing my fingers hoping.

More robot men hitting other robot men please.

Hensler on
  • cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    They are going variant happy: http://marvel.com/catalog/invincible_iron_man.2008.25

Luckily the one I will get and like is the normal cover:
    57e1a155335952dd161235b5e4e2a2c5.jpg

cardboard delusions on
  • MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    They are going variant happy: http://marvel.com/catalog/invincible_iron_man.2008.25

Luckily the one I will get and like is the normal cover:
    57e1a155335952dd161235b5e4e2a2c5.jpg

I like how mandarin is the only guy without Armor and is just chillin'

Edit: Just noticed the Living Laser there.

MastaP on
  • psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Wildcat wrote: »
    Hensler wrote: »
    http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2010/04/detroit-steel-blackwater-meets-nascar-in-new-iron-man-storyline/

The villain of the next Iron Man arc will be Justine Hammer... *groan*. But she is going to have her own version of Iron Man named Detroit Steel. As since Iron Man should be about robot guys punching each other, I approve.
    11856storystory_full-0138009..jpg

Anyone else getting an Ultron-y vibe from that helmet?

They really should have gone with solid blue on the back of the head, too many stars makes it look like it's wearing a blanket on it's head.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2010
    I wish US-1 or Razorback was driving that thing.

Or any other real American hero.

Robos A Go Go on
  • ANTVGM64ANTVGM64 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Was it Iron Man who legit had the movie come out during his comic?

I vaguely remember one of the Marvel Heroes had an arc where the REAL movie that was being released tied directly into their established continuity.

Maybe Fantastic Four? Since they kind of deal with the celebrity of being public figures and such.

And was this arc any good? It seems like it could be pretty juicy and awesome.

ANTVGM64 on
    edited April 2010
    Ultimate Spider-Man had the arc you're talking about, and it was good because it was Ultimate Spider-Man.

TexiKen on
  • Duke PhillipsDuke Phillips Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    They did a story arc in Batman Confidential that was a corporate showdown. It was Wayne Enterprises vs Lexcorp. They were competing to develop some hot new bomber for the US Govt. It was full of corporate espionage, sabotage, and of course Batman.

Something like that would work really well in Iron Man. Give Tony a rival (not necessarily a villain, just a person with questionable business ethics) to be a competitor in the robotics and technology field.

Holy hell I would buy that so hard. My buddy just got me into Iron Man and I'm a sucker for the smarmy/"showing off how smart he is" attitude that Tony exudes at some points.

Duke Phillips on
    PSN/Origin: Grizz359
    Steam: Grizz
    3DS: 4038-6012-7259
    T4CT wrote: »
    everyone deserves space vaginas for christmas
    edited April 2010
    So Iron Man #25. I went into this with a fresh slate, despite how much I've disliked Fraction's recent work.

It was a mixed bag.

The good stuff was actually Justine Hammer (I guess all her Thunderbolts and Civil War stuff is being ignored or just plain forgotten) and trying to get the military to buy into the other metal men out there. That is good stuff with her daughter Sasha and the Air Force pilot. Also good was the Maria Hill/Rhodey interaction. Hill's come very far from being generic bad girl cop in New Avengers.

The ok stuff was the Tony/Pepper interaction (which seems like it has to borrow from the movie) and the interaction with Tony and Reed, although I get the feeling Fraction doesn't really know what he's trying to say about Stark's reactor core and is just throwing stuff out there just to see what sticks (this is where someone who loves macguffins like Nicieza or Busiek would do better explaining the tech behind it)

The disappointing stuff was the interaction with Reed and Thor about his memory wipe:
    Tony does say he'd do it all again but right after saying that says he hopes it would turn out differently. Also, repeating AT THE TIME was a bit too much to say "Hey we're in the Heroic Age!" and less a progression of what has happened. Is the SHRA not as good now? I could see after Siege it being even more important depending on how batty Sentry goes in issue #4.

Also, Tony just plain forgot to back up his memory to a more recent point (which is a terrible example of a plot device). Now, these things are not so bad, but Marvel repeatedly and annoyingly kept telling us that Tony sees what the future brings, he's a futurist, it's the only way, etc. For the second smartest man in the world to "just plain forgot, shyucks gawrsh," it's just so stupid.

And the whole business aspect of the issue, Stark Resilient, it reads too much like someone who doesn't know much about business, thinks all billionaires walk around in dot com trendy casual wear like Richard Branson, and would offer cutting edge technology for only license fees in order for everyone to have the next great thing. It reads too much like someone trying to have one (broke) billionaire think he's so much cooler than all the other billionaires because he's, like, this great bleeding heart who, like, speaks to the trees and cares for the future, man.

I get that Tony is this super smart tech guy, and that this is the Marvel Universe, but not even Reed just gives away free technology. He makes patents and develops stuff to sell and license, he even has the FF Inc as seen in the excellent Waid run just to deal with the paperwork and "running the brand" just so the FF can go be heroes and save the day.

And another thing that makes the comic sync up with the movie is that Stark will not make weapons with the new company. Which, coming from the excellent John Jackson Miller run, is a bit stupid. Tony doesn't want to kill people, but there is nothing wrong with doing what he did 5 years ago, which was develop sonic ray guns and other non violent ways to incapacitate and beat the enemy and to give that technology to our soldiers.

So in all, a mixed bag. Good art, only 4 pages of filler (how they made the new suit), decent new antagonist for Stark. Not as good as Iron Man #1, which this could be compared to because it's basically a #1, but worth one more look to see where Fraction goes with this.

TexiKen on
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The armour reveal was pretty awesome.

Sharp101 on
    edited April 2010
    I wasn't too keen on Ms. Hammer. I don't like the fact that we just came off a long stretch of time where H.A.M.M.E.R. was the badguy and now we have another Hammer.

On a different note though, I am eagerly anticipating the point where Stark starts remembering stuff and he remembers that he had sex with Pepper. That's gonna be delightfully awkward.

Lucascraft on
  • JyrenBJyrenB St. AugustineRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The fact that Extremis is back and not just dead and gone forever is wonderful.

JyrenB on
    osasbutton.png
    XBL: JyrenB ; Steam: Jyren ; Twitter
  • Duke PhillipsDuke Phillips Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Agreed, I like that they kept that a part of him but I'm not a big fan of the
    liqui-suit
    I just wasn't ever really able to buy it, other than just the under sheath thing from earlier in the series. I'm hopeful though, and I'm glad to see Pepper be all sorts pissed off with him for business and personal (hmm?) reasons, cuz I love me some Pepper Potts.

Also I can't quite recall,
    did Tony ever pull the plug on Happy? or how did all that play out?

Duke Phillips on
    PSN/Origin: Grizz359
    Steam: Grizz
    3DS: 4038-6012-7259
    T4CT wrote: »
    everyone deserves space vaginas for christmas
    edited April 2010
    Also I can't quite recall,
    did Tony ever pull the plug on Happy? or how did all that play out?

It was ambiguous, I believe.

Robos A Go Go on
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Having her be Justine Hammer is just so, so dumb though.

Langly on
    edited April 2010
    It's dumb but her motivation is actually smart.

I just hope to see the Crimson Cowl aspect of her again (she was all dressed in red throughout the issue)

TexiKen on
    edited April 2010
    Oh is she a pre-existing character? I figured she was someone new that Fraction made up.

Lucascraft on
    edited April 2010
    No, she was from the Busiek/Nicieza Thunderbolts run and a bit in the Civil War tie in.

Everyone forgets this though, so she might act like a completely different character now.

TexiKen on
    edited April 2010
    She was hanging around with the Hood in his Dark Reign mini.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2010
    Were they comparing their cloaks, seeing which one was more red? Tee-hee supervillain girl talk.

TexiKen on
    edited April 2010
    Didn't the hood borrow her red cloak because he didn't want to wear his cloak anymore?

Robos A Go Go on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    She just got the cloak idea from Ultron anyway

Furu on
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, she gave The Hood a loaner cloak while he was trying to get away from using Dormannu's power. Or has she described it "yeah i lent him a spare, i think his is in the wash"

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Magna InfernoMagna Inferno Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    so it looks like rescue is coming back in 29
    12411storystory_full-3258638..jpg

Magna Inferno on
    ultimates-1.png
    edited May 2010
    Rhodey's pretty chubby there on the side.

This new Iron Man armor is confusing me, mainly because it looks different every time I've seen it, despite most of the art being done by Larocca. It looks like Under Armor in one page, then it looks basically like his regular armor on the cover to IM #25, and there on that page it looks different again (and he has the demon feet).

TexiKen on
    edited May 2010
    Has there been an explanation for the extra glowy bits?

Robos A Go Go on