As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Strange and Embarrassing Moments: Italy: Land of Homoerotic Escapades

• Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Pellaeon wrote: »
    When I was a kid we had a station wagon with power windows. One time we were on vacation parked at the restroom or something and I was looking out the back right window when it started rolling up. I start yelling for whoever's in the driver seat to stop rolling up the window, they're going to choke me! My mom was in the passenger seat and yells back that there was no one in the driver seat pushing the button. The car was trying to kill me!

Of course it turns out that I just had my knee on the button. Luckily windows didn't roll up as fast in the early 90's. Also I don't know why I didn't just pull my head out of the window when it was first rolling up and waited til it was basically at neck level to try and fail to extract my fat head. But yeah, almost choked myself with a car window.

Eh, those motors are fairly weak and will stop pushing when met with even a little resistance. My grandmother though used to always tell us not to lean against the car door from the inside, because the door might spontaneously open and we'd fall to the road.
    I need to ask her if this was a common occurrence in the early automobile...

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    bowen wrote: »
    In my junior year of high school it was pretty much the last few weeks of school. So during our gym class it was pretty much goof-off weeks and we just did whatever. So we played this modified form of kick ball where the bases were those huge gym mats that you could just keep stacking people on or make a run for the next few bases if you thought you could make it. To get out, you had to tag the base before the people made it or nail them with the fucking ball.

So. I'm up to kick. Bam, it goes flying. I take off. I make it to first, then second, then third, but I won't be able to get past third, but oh fuck I can't fucking stop. Oh shit. So I just fucking take out all 5 people on the base. Like bowling. I bruised up a girl pretty good too because I basically landed on top of her after a pretty intensive sprint.

I still feel bad about doing it.

Mat Ball! Shit yes.

Mat ball was awesome. There was this girl I couldn't stand, so as she was running to home I threw it as hard as possible at her head. The ball hit her so hard in mid stride her feet flew out from under her. That game rocked

Never played that game. I feel deprived. Closest thing my gym teacher did to that was a game called doctor ball; we had these 4 small dollies of about a square foot, and the way it worked was that there were 2 designated doctors for each team. Someone gets beaned by one of four balls, or fumbles it or has their throw caught, they lay down and wait to get thrown on a dolly and dragged (or more often than not, thrown by the limb the doctor can best grip) to the wall of the gym. Nearly had my nose broken twice playing that, fun stuff.

Skeith on
    aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Skeith wrote: »
    Never played that game. I feel deprived. Closest thing my gym teacher did to that was a game called doctor ball; we had these 4 small dollies of about a square foot, and the way it worked was that there were 2 designated doctors for each team. Someone gets beaned by one of four balls, or fumbles it or has their throw caught, they lay down and wait to get thrown on a dolly and dragged (or more often than not, thrown by the limb the doctor can best grip) to the wall of the gym. Nearly had my nose broken twice playing that, fun stuff.

That sounds like a game specifically designed to injure the participants.

adytum on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    What, like Dodge Ball?

Glal on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Except with arbitrarily trying to roll around a human being on a piece of industrial equipment.

adytum on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Like dodgeball but better

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    Emissary42Emissary42 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Skeith wrote: »

Oh hell yes, this was the best game ever. Our version was called Medic, and you had to haul the hit person all the way back to the end of the gym before they could get back up. I always got my fingers run over by the dolly...

Emissary42 on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I loved dodgeball in school. I was terrible at throwing, but for someone my size/height, I was untouchable. I was a dodging machine, avoiding even three or four balls at a time. There were a few games that ended because time was called after the other team just couldn't put me down.

Shame that I couldn't throw worth shit.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Forar wrote: »
    I loved dodgeball in school. I was terrible at throwing, but for someone my size/height, I was untouchable. I was a dodging machine, avoiding even three or four balls at a time. There were a few games that ended because time was called after the other team just couldn't put me down.

Shame that I couldn't throw worth shit.

In elementary school we had a game called Hot Foot. The class broke up into to teams and they went to separate ends of the gym. It's like dodgeball, but you threw beanbags on the floor and tried to hit people's feet and legs. I was so good at the game, that after a particularly crushing win, I boasted aloud I could take on the whole class. My gym teacher heard it, and said "let's see". Nobody got me out, and I got my class of 20 or so down to 4 before class was up. I was a hot foot fiend, and easily my favorite day of the week.

RocketSauce on
  • Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    At my school we had what we called Anarchy Ball. Like dodgeball, only no teams. If you hit someone, they were out, if they caught your ball, you were out, if the person who got you out gets out, you come back in. Only way to win was if you, alone, were responsible for getting out every single person in the gym. Sometimes it would be down to four people, then one person would get out and put fifteen people back into play. Game could go on forever. Only once did someone actually WIN.

Decomposey on
    Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    That is awesome.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    We had gaga ball, but without the limitation to legs. There's nothing quite like a gym full of small children swinging their fists at a small bouncing target.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    JHunzJHunz Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Decomposey wrote: »
    At my school we had what we called Anarchy Ball. Like dodgeball, only no teams. If you hit someone, they were out, if they caught your ball, you were out, if the person who got you out gets out, you come back in. Only way to win was if you, alone, were responsible for getting out every single person in the gym. Sometimes it would be down to four people, then one person would get out and put fifteen people back into play. Game could go on forever. Only once did someone actually WIN.

That sounds amazing!

JHunz on
    bunny.gif Gamertag: JHunz. R.I.P. Mygamercard.net bunny.gif
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    My favorite game growing up was Wall Ball. Get a tennis or raquet ball and find a large wall. We'd stand in a line about 15 feet from the wall. Someone would throw the ball at the wall, which would bounce back. If it came towards you, you had to try and catch it. If you did, throw it again. If you tried but missed or dropped it, you had to run and touch the wall before someone else could pick it up and peg you in the back with it. If you got hit before touching the wall, you were out. We used to play that all the time after school.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I think I remember playing Wall Ball when I was in school.

Also, I remember we played Dodgeball too, but we had almost a half dozen versions of it.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    My favorite game growing up was Wall Ball. Get a tennis or raquet ball and find a large wall. We'd stand in a line about 15 feet from the wall. Someone would throw the ball at the wall, which would bounce back. If it came towards you, you had to try and catch it. If you did, throw it again. If you tried but missed or dropped it, you had to run and touch the wall before someone else could pick it up and peg you in the back with it. If you got hit before touching the wall, you were out. We used to play that all the time after school.

We used to play that during lunch until our high school banned it during lunch, then banned going outside during lunch altogether.

adytum on
  • Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Oh, we had that as well, but we called it Spread Eagle. Because if you weren't careful as you ran full out to the wall, that's how you could end up.

Decomposey on
    Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Wall ball was the shit.

Also, I know like 30 variations of Dodgeball.

Juggernaught Ball is the best. Teachers/counselors Vs. Kids. Counselors get 3 lives, get more lives if they catch a ball, and do not lose a life if a kid catches the ball.

It's usually like 6 vs. 30, and SO MUCH FUN.

...if you're a counselor.

As for a strange/embarassing moment, I got hit once as I was backpeddling. The force of the throw wasn't strong, but just enough to knock me over. I fell on my ass, feet out in front of me, and looked up to avoid anymore balls coming towards (To save the rest of my lives) and looked up to see a giant red ball about 3 inches from my face. Hit me so hard I got laid flat and my entire face was sore for a week.

That kid had one hell of an arm.

TL;DR: I got fucking brutalized by a 5th grader in dodgeball.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

Oh man, we played this too, but it was called suicide for some bizarre reason, especially considering this was elementary school!

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Oh man, we played this too, but it was called suicide for some bizarre reason, especially considering this was elementary school!

No no no, Suicides are what you call the drink that results from mixing a bunch of the different beverages at a soda fountain.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Oh, we had that as well, but we called it Spread Eagle. Because if you weren't careful as you ran full out to the wall, that's how you could end up.

We called it Butt's Up, cause if you threw the ball and someone else caught the rebound before the bounce, you had to march up to the wall, go spread eagle, and absorb a fastball to the backside.

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

I'm always fascinated by these regional differences.

Edit:
    skarsol wrote: »

We called it Butt's Up, cause if you threw the ball and someone else caught the rebound before the bounce, you had to march up to the wall, go spread eagle, and absorb a fastball to the backside.

I think we had a rule regarding bounces, and it may have been the same, but I can't remember now. This was 20 years ago.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    It's a shame the discussion was locked. One or two of you were being very helpful, and i had a lot of other ideas i wanted to get opinions on. But what can you do.

I never got an answer as to why it was locked. Too revolutionary, maybe.

I just want to say that was literally one of the funniest things I've read

You raised trolling to an art form, dudes

Rent on
  • Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

We called this stikbold, which would translate to something like Sting Ball (stik= sting, bold= ball), I guess. It was pretty great.

jakobagger on
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Pellaeon wrote: »
    When I was a kid we had a station wagon with power windows. One time we were on vacation parked at the restroom or something and I was looking out the back right window when it started rolling up. I start yelling for whoever's in the driver seat to stop rolling up the window, they're going to choke me! My mom was in the passenger seat and yells back that there was no one in the driver seat pushing the button. The car was trying to kill me!

Of course it turns out that I just had my knee on the button. Luckily windows didn't roll up as fast in the early 90's. Also I don't know why I didn't just pull my head out of the window when it was first rolling up and waited til it was basically at neck level to try and fail to extract my fat head. But yeah, almost choked myself with a car window.

Eh, those motors are fairly weak and will stop pushing when met with even a little resistance. My grandmother though used to always tell us not to lean against the car door from the inside, because the door might spontaneously open and we'd fall to the road.
    I need to ask her if this was a common occurrence in the early automobile...

That stuff happens, it isn't just old people crazy. My aunt fell out of a van going down the road at 40 mph when she was 9 because she was leaning on the door. This was the 70's. One of those no seats in the back van. And seatbelts? forgetaboutit. Back when cars were cast out of one block of iron, or made out of old tanks.

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    KistraKistra Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

That is what we called dodgeball at my elementary school. I was very confused when the movie came out and there were teams and sides involved.

Kistra on
    Animal Crossing: City Folk Lissa in Filmore 3179-9580-0076
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Someone should make a Childhood Game thread because this is all awesome, but really off topic.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    SpacemilkSpacemilk Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    SniperGuy wrote: »

No no no, Suicides are what you call the drink that results from mixing a bunch of the different beverages at a soda fountain.
    YES. You are the first person I've met who also calls it that.

...except, it's pop, not soda. =/

Spacemilk on
  • Options
    skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Spacemilk wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    YES. You are the first person I've met who also calls it that.

...except, it's pop, not soda. =/

Pfft, it's soda. And everyone I know calls it a suicide, even crazy friends from California.

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    We call the drink pop, but would call that a soda fountain, and we call the mixing of all the flavours from the soda fountain swamp water.

Pop fountain just sounds so strange.

LaOs on
  • Options
    SpacemilkSpacemilk Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Yeah I wouldn't call it a pop fountain, maybe a pop machine. Soda fountain is fine if you're in a 50s themed bar and you feel like joking around. :P And it IS pop, not soda! I bake with soda, I don't drink it!

(holy crap we are off topic, I will try to think of an embarrassing story)

Spacemilk on
  • Options
    Vrtra TheoryVrtra Theory Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The Suicides I remember involved starting at the edge of the basketball court and running to the base line, back, free throw line, back, mid-court, back, etc. etc., until you keeled over. While the coach yelled at you.

Vrtra Theory on
    Are you a Software Engineer living in Seattle? HBO is hiring, message me.
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The Suicides I remember involved starting at the edge of the basketball court and running to the base line, back, free throw line, back, mid-court, back, etc. etc., until you keeled over. While the coach yelled at you.

Oh yeah. I've heard that one and the pop one.

admanb on
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Yeah I wouldn't call it a pop fountain, maybe a pop machine. Soda fountain is fine if you're in a 50s themed bar and you feel like joking around. :P And it IS pop, not soda! I bake with soda, I don't drink it!

You should feel embarrassed.

For calling it pop.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Pop machine would work for us, too.

LaOs on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Oh yes, we had those Suicides as well. Sometimes just called running lines.

LaOs on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    800px-Sodavspopvscoke.png

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

I was about to post that!

jakobagger on
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

I can at least understand how an ignorant redneck would call all soda "coke", but saying pop is just plain unacceptable.

SaraLuna on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    It's annoying when you go into some restaurants and they go, "what would you like to drink?" and you say, "coke" and they say "what kind?" and you go o_O.

At that point you go, "What do you have?" and they say, "pepsi, sprite, root beer, ginger ale."

But pop just sounds so... 1800s or frontiery. Or something you'd hear the kid in Where the Red Ferm Grows.

bowen on
This discussion has been closed.