As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[GW2]We're all waiting very, very patiently for class reveals. *twitch*

• sidhaethesidhaethe Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Athaedos wrote: »
    Alright, so I never went through Nightfall even though I bought it a while ago... anyone want to play through with me? I'm open virtually anytime (finishing last 3 credits of college and I don't have a job), I'm thinking tomorrow (Thursday) at 6PM PST if someone responds soon enough or same time Friday. If someone is up for it tell me what time works best for you and we can do that. Being on vent is a major plus, we can use the PA one. Alternatively, if you wanted to go through all three or two of them I'd be up for that as well. Any takers?

6pm PST is a bit early for me (not usually home from work by then). 7pm would be better for me personally, but if you have a lot of takers, by all means ignore me :). If you start at 6 and are still trucking it by 7-ish, let me know your character name and I will gladly join in whenever I get online.

If you are starting Nightfall with a new character, would you prefer everyone else to start with new characters too, or would you mind someone bringing a vet along?

sidhaethe on
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm going to start a new nightfall character tonight, but won't be able to play much until tomorrow.

Dissociater on
  • Catastrophe_XXVICatastrophe_XXVI Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'll drop the $20 on steam if it's still on sale. I won't be able to play until later eastern time tonight, but I guess 10:00 EST is 7:00 PST.

Catastrophe_XXVI on
    PSN ID: Catastrophe_xxvi
    3DS FC: 5086-1134-6451
    Shiny Code: 3837
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    If I wasn't huntin' monsters I'd be in on this with you guys.

Nightfall was so good and I would love to make a warrior and go through it again.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I have an Elementalist who is only a little way into the NF campaign.. Venta Cemetery I think. I would be up for playing, but I won't be home this evening until ~7pm central time.

With regard to GW2 professions, it seems like they intend to spread out the reveals over the next "few months" which probably means at least 1-2 weeks apart.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
    edited April 2010
    Enig wrote: »
    I have an Elementalist who is only a little way into the NF campaign.. Venta Cemetery I think. I would be up for playing, but I won't be home this evening until ~7pm central time.

With regard to GW2 professions, it seems like they intend to spread out the reveals over the next "few months" which probably means at least 1-2 weeks apart.

yeah, makes me sad, some of us have been waiting since 2007.

Bah.

Seidkona on
  • Catastrophe_XXVICatastrophe_XXVI Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    From what I saw in the demo, you can really just up/down attributes whenever you want? your not locked into a spec and forced to spend gold to undo it? That is awesome. Does that mean I can drop my secondary profession whenever I want too?

Any opinions on which class I should roll with? Do warriors really feel heavy and hard hitting. Getting that oomph on impact with your weapon really makes a melee worth playing.

Catastrophe_XXVI on
    PSN ID: Catastrophe_xxvi
    3DS FC: 5086-1134-6451
    Shiny Code: 3837
  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Entaru wrote: »

Bah.

It takes a long time to make games.

Wassermelone on
    edited April 2010
    Entaru wrote: »

Bah.

It takes a long time to make games.

I know, I'm just whining.

Seidkona on
    edited April 2010
    sidhaethe on
    edited April 2010
    sidhaethe wrote: »

BY THE GODS! He's picked up a mug!

That made me laugh far harder than it should have.

Dissociater on
    edited April 2010
    Bah, that's exactly the same article that was leaked yesterday.. oh well.
    Look for the next update of this type to be from our Lead Content Designer Colin Johanson, who'll talk to you about our dynamic event system and why it will make playing Guild Wars 2 a very different experience from a more traditional quest-based MMO.

Get a move on then ANet. I want to read!

From what I saw in the demo, you can really just up/down attributes whenever you want? your not locked into a spec and forced to spend gold to undo it? That is awesome. Does that mean I can drop my secondary profession whenever I want too?

Any opinions on which class I should roll with? Do warriors really feel heavy and hard hitting. Getting that oomph on impact with your weapon really makes a melee worth playing.
    You can change attributes and skills any time you are in town. Depending on which chapter you started your character in, you will eventually get to a point where you can "unlock" the other secondary professions. Once unlocked, you can switch those out at will also (again, while in town). In Prophecies this involves doing a quest for each secondary, while in Factions and NF you simply pay 500g to an NPC once you reach that part of the game.

If you have played RPGs before, you should be able to get a fix on just about any profession. Warrior is naturally the most new-player friendly. I recommend simply picking which one you like the best. If you want an idea of what sort of optimal builds people come up with for each profession you can go here: http://pvx.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page. Note, some of them include special PvE-only skills these days, which are obtained through reputation with different factions.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Ramen NoodleRamen Noodle whoa, god has a picture of me! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, most professions are pretty simple to play, you just need a good build. Mesmer may be a bit much for a starting profession, but that's also because they're not usually in high demand for parties. But they're fun to play.

Ramen Noodle on
  • PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Welp, all this talk of GW got me to download it yesterday and start a new Dervish. Don't have much experience with them, but I'm gonna work towards a D/E with Avatar of Grenth and Conjure Frost. Just not sure which attacks I should go with at this point.

Peccavi on
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I've updated the OP with a Profession section that I will update with each prof as info comes out, plus links. Been reading all the blog stuff, interviews and site articles shown thus far, soaking in everything with much glee.

That bit in the 2nd combat article, where it said you can use a barstool as a weapon... I have to admit a little part of the gamer section of my heart lit up when I read that. That means Anet is doing their job well. So looking forward to GW2. :)

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Ramen NoodleRamen Noodle whoa, god has a picture of me! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Oh yeah, I'm probably gonna play some. My main is Deathly Deathness, so if you add that I'll be on other characters and all that shit.

Ramen Noodle on
  • KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Corehealer wrote: »
    I've updated the OP with a Profession section that I will update with each prof as info comes out, plus links. Been reading all the blog stuff, interviews and site articles shown thus far, soaking in everything with much glee.

That bit in the 2nd combat article, where it said you can use a barstool as a weapon... I have to admit a little part of the gamer section of my heart lit up when I read that. That means Anet is doing their job well. So looking forward to GW2. :)

That sounds fucking awesome. It is really a right step towards creating an interactive environment, and it sounds like they are really focusing on that sort of thing. It's what I've wanted since I first learned about what an MMO is.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • grrarggrrarg Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    RPS interview part 2 discusses their event system, similar to WAR's Public Quests. The dev says there are 1500-1600 events in the game.
    We were playing in the human starter area. There’s an event where bandits are attacking these large pipes that bring water into the town. If players fail the previous event, the pipes get destroyed – and now workers are coming in to attempt to repair them… and the Bandits will attack the workers. I kind of wandered up to this area by myself, without any preconception of what was up there… and I noticed the waterpipes were all busted and broken, and there’s some peasants working and then there’s a couple of players defending. I join in and help them do this. I didn’t have to take a quest – I explored, found this situation which required some heroic intervention and went up there. Because we have dynamic scaling in the event, what happened was that there were 3-4 of us defending, so the bandits would come in waves of 4-5 per attack. Eventually, as this thing went on – because you can see these burning waterpipes from quite far away on the map – other players started getting attracted, and coming over. And then there’s a dozen players, and the game’s now spawning attacks of 20 bandits at a time. It’s getting super-huge and epic. All of this came really naturally from me exploring in the world, and eventually I’m co-ordinating with some other players which are putting down area effect spells which are healing everyone, and I’m crippling guys who are coming in to try and attack the worker … without being in a group or talking. It all happens naturally.

grrarg on
    edited April 2010
    Oh, interesting. Does that mean that the game isn't privately instanced outside of town areas?

Dissociater on
  • DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Nope, more WoW-like now, open world as far as it sounds.

Dranyth on
    edited April 2010
    That's more like it! Sounds better and better.

They have said from the start (2 years ago) that GW2 will be an open persistent world like any other MMO. They are going to use instances for limited things like dungeons, etc, still.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    They might do it like WAR and AoC, where each "zone" is a massive instance with a short loading screen inbetween. It seems the most feasible way

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
    edited April 2010
    Wow, I always thought that was how they could get away with no subscription fees, they didn't pay the bandwidth costs of other MMOs, as it was my understanding that the instances were hosted on one of the player's computers.

That'll be so awesome if they can have a persistent world without the fees.

Dissociater on
    edited April 2010
    I am so amused and interested to see what the actually tally of players in GW2 is going to turn out to be, because so many comments on the original get summed up by "looks good but too instanced" and then every time there's new news about GW2 every forum gets the inevitable "looks good - is it still going to be instanced?"

Guild Wars 2's subtitle should be "the non-instanced version".

sidhaethe on
    edited April 2010
    I didn't mind the instanced nature of GW 1 at all. I thought it was more than a fair trade off for subscription fees. The possibility that GW2 will not be instanced, AND not have subscription fees is pretty awesome.

Dissociater on
    edited April 2010
    Wow, I always thought that was how they could get away with no subscription fees, they didn't pay the bandwidth costs of other MMOs, as it was my understanding that the instances were hosted on one of the player's computers.

That'll be so awesome if they can have a persistent world without the fees.
    This is false. GW1 is hosted entirely on ANet servers. The primary reason they used instances for zones in GW1 is so that they could control player interaction with the world (for example, by modifying a zone when you are on a certain quest, spawning certain NPCs or enemies, etc.) and of course for the storyline mission system.

The reason that ANet gets away with no subscription fees is because they make enough money from the box sales (and subsequent chapters/expansion box sales) and the limited microtransactions to cover their costs. With GW1 the releases were much closer together than expansions would be for WoW or EQ. How this will translate to GW2 remains to be seen, I suppose. They have stated that a persistent world does not need more bandwidth than an instanced one, however.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • AthaedosAthaedos Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    sidhaethe wrote: »
    Athaedos wrote: »
    Alright, so I never went through Nightfall even though I bought it a while ago... anyone want to play through with me? I'm open virtually anytime (finishing last 3 credits of college and I don't have a job), I'm thinking tomorrow (Thursday) at 6PM PST if someone responds soon enough or same time Friday. If someone is up for it tell me what time works best for you and we can do that. Being on vent is a major plus, we can use the PA one. Alternatively, if you wanted to go through all three or two of them I'd be up for that as well. Any takers?

6pm PST is a bit early for me (not usually home from work by then). 7pm would be better for me personally, but if you have a lot of takers, by all means ignore me :). If you start at 6 and are still trucking it by 7-ish, let me know your character name and I will gladly join in whenever I get online.

If you are starting Nightfall with a new character, would you prefer everyone else to start with new characters too, or would you mind someone bringing a vet along?

Let's do 7PM PST then, tonight. So 2 hours and 40 minutes from this post. I'll be in vent: My in game name is Blaize Athaedos and he's a 20 vet, so those who want to go through with a 20 are more than welcome.

It sounds like this would work for Catastrophe_XXVI and Enig too, let me know if not. How long is the gap between when a vet starts the nightfall missions and when a newly created character does?

EDIT: Hmmmm, the main forums vent didn't work for me. Let's use the one that was linked on the BC2 thread:
    vent.that-guy.org
    port: 2335

Athaedos on
  • NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Perhaps they'll have an itemshop as well? For aesthetic items and such?

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
    edited April 2010
    To get a brand new character to where Prophecies or Factions characters arrive in Elona takes a bit of time. 3 missions and quests inbetween.

The two paths join up at the "Consulate Docks" mission.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    edited April 2010
    Hrrm, well, depending on who pops in vent and is ready to go maybe we'll do nightfall characters for those who would anyways, then the vets can switch at Kamadan.

Athaedos on
  • PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Not to mention, there are some really fun quests on Istan, IIRC. Don't necessarily want to rush through that stuff.

Peccavi on
    edited April 2010
    Sorry all, can't play tonight as disaster has struck: my fiance's computer has either a borked motherboard or graphics card, so we'll be tag teaming on mine tonight. Such bad timing! :( Have fun tearing up Istan.....

sidhaethe on
    edited April 2010
    Well I have two NF characters, either of which can slip back to help destroy the early quests and missions.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    edited April 2010
    Lets do eet, I'll start a new NF Elementalist. I'll be on in 18 minutes. Also, sorry to hear that sidhaethe. :(

Edit: Made my ele. His name is Seglaf Athaedos. I'm at Chahbek Village, just finishing up some dinner to consume before we get going :)

Athaedos on
    edited April 2010
    Installing now, might get to play for a few minutes before I head to bed. Think I'm going to make a warrior, run through the beginning of the first one, pre-searing, then jump to nightfall and work on that.

Dissociater on
  • KazakaKazaka Asleep Counting SheepRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Not to tactlessly butt in on the GW1 gathering, but no secondary classes sounds pretty good to me, actually.
    I never really liked mixing the classes to be honest. The aesthetics of it bothered me (which I know sounds pretty dumb, but after seeing so many builds that are, to give a crazy made-up example, D/E where D is wind prayers movement buffs and the rest is all Ele stuff it feels nice to get back to a more pure state of things where each class truly has an identity).

Kazaka on
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, I was saying something similar earlier, I just never used secondary classes because it didn't mesh well, or at least not as well, as abilities from your primary class. But the nice thing was you also didn't NEED to do secondary skill stuff to succeed, you could just ignore it entirely, which I did.

Dissociater on
  • Darth NathanDarth Nathan Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I really liked the secondary professions system, it fit well in Guild Wars 1. I don't feel, however, that it would fit well in Guild Wars 2, which is why I'm also fine with them abolishing it this time around.

Darth Nathan on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited April 2010
    It's a bit annoying, but it's been well over a year since I played GW1, and I don't remember the full name of any of my characters in order to log in. I'm guessing this is a new part of the login process. :(

Dissociater on
  • Darth NathanDarth Nathan Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    It's their answer to the need for security, similarly to how Blizzard sells authenticators for WoW. Is it that hard to remember what you called your character? If you've got any friends who play, or are in a guild, you can get them to log in and check the friends/guild list for your character name.

Darth Nathan on
    camo_sig2.png
This discussion has been closed.