As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Motorcycle squeaking and the art of stopping it

Raif SeveranceRaif Severance Registered User regular
edited April 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I have a 2008 Kawasaki Mean Streak:

2008-kawasaki-vulcan-1600-17_460x0w.jpg

The problem I have is that when I'm riding it seems the engine wants to squeak but only while in motion. When the bike is just idling or when I rev the engine I don't hear anything. I thought it might be wheel/brake related but I can't hear anything when the engine is off and I just push the bike. The sound seems to be intermittent and doesn't change its pacing when I speed up or slow down but the intensity of the sound increases with speed.

The cause I believe stems from an accident my bike was in. Someone side-swiped a car which hit my car, which hit my bike (which swallowed a fly). This happened in the parking lot in front of my apartment. My bike was repaired at the dealership and the only real damage was to the gas tank. The bike still ran great it just looked like crap. About a month after getting the bike back I started to hear the squeaking after a long trip (around 300 miles) of highway driving.

I'm just wondering if anyone has experienced a similar situation and found a cause. I'm thinking I'm just going to have to take it into the shop and have them look at it. I would take it back to the original place it was worked on but I don't live in that state any more.

Raif Severance on

• Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    It could literally be any of a thousand things.

Try coasting your bike down a hill in neutral with the engine off and see if you can still hear the squeaks. Also try braking on your way down.

Nice bike btw.

adytum on
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Could be an engine bolt that perhaps got jostled in the accident and got lose through vibration in the frame over time. It's not uncommon. The bolt may just be at the right interference to cause noise.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!