As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[RIFT] "All the beta keys you can eat"

ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
edited January 2011 in MMO Extravaganza
RIFTlogo.png

A new MMO is coming! It feels like its raining MMO's these days, but they're all under development! ...and so is "Rift". However, there are some nifty things to show even now.

The official description:
Join legions of adventurers in Rift, a new fantasy massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) set in a world being torn apart.

Rifts violently rip into reality across the land and release powerful forces that threaten the very existence of Telara. Each breach brings with it new characters, events, and treasures, while the world itself changes dynamically around you.

Play with your friends across vast, lavishly detailed environments, or go head-to-head in challenging Player versus Player (PvP) combat as you battle to uncover the secrets of the planes. Build and advance your character using an innovative new class system with limitless possibilities.

The rifts have divided the people and endanger the world. Whether you fight to seal the rifts forever, or harness their power for your own, epic adventures lie ahead for those willing to fight for the future of Telara.

Official Website:
http://www.riftgame.com/en/

The Jist:

Well, to my own observations, this seems like what you'd expect of a classic MMO. There are two important differences, though:
  • - This is big budget. They supposedly managed to garner massive support for their title and are working with a lot of funding.
  • - The content in the game is supposedly very dynamic. The world will change, areas will transform etc.
  • - They claim they are focusing a lot on polish. Perhaps we don't have to suffer through another half-assed launch again?

Discuss!

t5qfc9.jpg
Zzulu on

• Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Could be good, could be bad. The art looks nice so far.

One thing that annoyed me was "Designed to be HD from the ground up!" Er. Ok.

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Designed to be HD? Computers have been "hd" for like what, 15 years? Wooo?

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    At first I thought this was an MMO based on the pen and paper Rifts game, so I was curious how broken it would be. What it actually is looks kind of interesting.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    grrarggrrarg Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I think Scott Hartsman makes this game worth watching. He turned EQ2 into a halfway decent game when he was put in charge, and the community loved him for communicating directly instead of through flacks. That's pretty rare in MMOs.

grrarg on
  • Options
    HartsmanHartsman Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Hey, thanks. :) Appreciate the compliment. There were about 100 other people doing real development who wanted the same thing, though. It was definitely a massive team effort.

Re: Rift's HD description.

I can entirely see that. I've been playing things at 1920x1200 for just a few years now too, and 1200 is definitely > 1080. :)

It's really hard to describe this in a way that doesn't sound too wordy: "Seriously, the game looks amazing, and it's meant to hold up and look even better on a big 50" HD screen."

That's really what we mean - It's intentionally designed to hold up at that res, look good at that size, and perform well in the process. Usually mmos get 2 out of 3, so being able to demo an MMO that goes 3 for 3 is the target that we're happy we hit.

Maybe I'll try to say it that way next time, too wordy or no, and risk having it misunderstood/misprinted (Which is really what drives trying to break things like this down into the fewest words possible.)

The more descriptive way is definitely clearer, though, at least written out -- and your point is well taken.

- Scott

Hartsman on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Are you just zooming by all the major internet communities Hartsman? :lol: I spotted you over at F13 as well.

Anyway, good to hear from a developer on the boards. I hope you keep us posted <3

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Hey, glad to.

Zooming? Hahaha -- No more than what I already do, though actually having an account and posting is definitely new :)

I've been lurking or posting on a bunch of mmo forums for a pretty long time -- FoH, f13, EJ, SA, PA, and a few others. I try to poke around once a week. Really only been posting on 2 or 3 forums with any regularity.

Games news sites are fine at what they do, but forums are just a better way of keeping up on what people actually care about.

That, and most of us play these things too!

Hartsman on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Hartsman wrote: »
    Hey, glad to.

Zooming? Hahaha -- No more than what I already do, though actually having an account and posting is definitely new :)

I've been lurking or posting on a bunch of mmo forums for a pretty long time -- FoH, f13, EJ, SA, PA, and a few others. I try to poke around once a week. Really only been posting on 2 or 3 forums with any regularity.

Games news sites are fine at what they do, but forums are just a better way of keeping up on what people actually care about.

That, and most of us play these things too!

This is the kind of thinking more dev's need. Will definitely be keeping my eyes on this game now.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    An actual dev talking to us players? This is the kind of thing every game needs. I know why it isn't so, but a lot of the ideas for games that players come up with on forums like this have actual merit most of the time. Listening to our dreams for games we want to play is a double edged sword, but trying to get info from your target demographic on what they want is definitely not a bad idea.

I'm still kind of sold on Guild Wars 2 but i'll be keeping an eye on this game and this thread, see what happens.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    grrarggrrarg Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Corehealer wrote: »
    An actual dev talking to us players?

See? I told you!

Rift's Dynamic World sounds intriguing to me. Most MMOs are like static theme parks except for major content patches. Making a new character again in WoW or some other game several years after release, the experience is virtually identical, except there are fewer players around the lowbie zones.

Thanks for posting Scott, and please remember the PA MMO forum when it comes time to hand out beta slots. Most of us here have tried every MMO at one time or another and can offer good testing and feedback.

grrarg on
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    And I also say we are more civilized than any other board. Comparatively.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Don't put too much stock in what we say around here. Most of these guys are silly geese.

Except me.

Hey are we gonna have mega damage in this game? I'd pay anything for an mmo where I can use my veritech to punch a man.

Bigity on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    kdrudy wrote: »
    At first I thought this was an MMO based on the pen and paper Rifts game, so I was curious how broken it would be. What it actually is looks kind of interesting.

That was my first thought too. I was like "Hey, at least we know they will never nerf your class to try and maintain a semblance of balance! (As Rifts the PnP game had no concept of balance. None.)

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Hah I saw Rifts and didn't even look further. Now I have to go see what this Rifts is.

Bigity on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I can't wait for the first expansion, where they release 3 new classes that all have a free, inate passive ability to one-shot every non-expansion class. :lol:

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    grrarg wrote: »
    Thanks for posting Scott, and please remember the PA MMO forum when it comes time to hand out beta slots. Most of us here have tried every MMO at one time or another and can offer good testing and feedback.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Yeah it's definitely cool to have a developer here to perhaps give us some insight on the game. But don't expect that just because he's here we can ask him favours like getting into beta. That usually never works anyway :lol:

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • Options
    MrIamMeMrIamMe Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    This looks interesting. Dynamic content may just be enough to pull me back into an MMO. Hell I bailed out of wow when we were headbutting the original LK, and I realised nada was going to change even if we got it.

I've played/beta tested most western MMOs and was definately going to give Kotoro a good looking/playing, but if you pull off dynamic content, with a more classeless system, you will have my money hand over fist.

MrIamMe on
  • Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    This game is on the list of them that I am currently watching.

Others are:

TERA
    Guild Wars 2
    The Secret World
    Final Fantasy 14

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    One of these days someone has to hit the mark and make another successful MMO. Loves me some PvP, so I'll be keeping an eye on this one.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Ooo it is nice to see a developer post.

I imagine if you want good, quality feedback about your game, PA's MMO forum is probably the place to be. Looks like it has a great ambiance to it.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    MyDcmbr wrote: »
    This game is on the list of them that I am currently watching.

Others are:

TERA

THIS.

It looks like Monster Hunter 3: Lineage.

Although this game is now offically on my watch list.

Transporter on
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Always good to see a dev posting, and actually seeming to be interested in what the players are asking for.

This bit though:
    Zzulu wrote: »
    * - The content in the game is supposedly very dynamic. The world will change, areas will transform etc. It's interesting, for sure.

We shall see. Damn near every MMO in the last 5 years have promised this, and I've yet to see one really deliver.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    the only thing i am apprehensive about is that it is yet another fantasy MMO. I've played Fantasy to death and i'm more than a little sick of it. It will have to be really different for me to want to purchase another one. The only reason i am sold on things like Guild Wars 2 right now is because i enjoyed the original a lot so to graduate to the new version seems like the logical step.

Elimination on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    the only thing i am apprehensive about is that it is yet another fantasy MMO. I've played Fantasy to death and i'm more than a little sick of it. It will have to be really different for me to want to purchase another one. The only reason i am sold on things like Guild Wars 2 right now is because i enjoyed the original a lot so to graduate to the new version seems like the logical step.

Agreed.

I do wish developers would branch out a bit in their choice of settings.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MarathonLurkMarathonLurk Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yeah I think it's time we get to kill space boars.

MarathonLurk on
  • Options
    VarethiusVarethius CymruRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    This game is on my watch list, purely because a developer has taken an interest in what we (the players) have to say. Awesome stuff.

Plus, the trailer kinda reminded me of guild wars, but then I saw mounts, which I always wanted in that game. Should be fun stuff.

Varethius on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    bowen wrote: »
    Ooo it is nice to see a developer post.

I imagine if you want good, quality feedback about your game, PA's MMO forum is probably the place to be. Looks like it has a great ambiance to it.

Just picked this one to quote -- But to those that said thanks: Honestly, I've never seen how "having 5 minutes" and "giving a damn about people" is really deserving of anyone's thanks, but you're entirely welcome just the same. :)

And, yep - That's exactly it. If you want to hear about reality, go where the experienced people are.

You might not always like what you hear, but it's honest.

Definitely appreciate the interest -- We're a little bit out from beta apps yet (we're mostly focused on our next milestone and E3 following), but the newsletter'll have beta app info when it's time, and I'll try to post about it too.

Hartsman on
  • Options
    KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Looks interesting. Some of those screens scream WoW style graphics at me though.

Klatu on
    Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'd been meaning to register for your newsletters a while back so I just did that now.

I can't see what will really set you guys apart (not that this is a bad thing, I like MMO's) other than the fact that you are aiming to produce a polished quality product from the get go instead of just getting it out of the door. I hope you have the opportunity to do so and don't get harangued by publishers :)

EDIT: the class/souls systems sounds great though. I do love to see more customization in gameplay like that.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I'll put this on my to watch list as well. It has potential and looks great.

Here's to hoping for some DAoC-esque weather ambiance too. I need something to make my rose-colored glasses obsolete.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    bowen wrote: »
    I'll put this on my to watch list as well. It has potential and looks great.

Here's to hoping for some DAoC-esque weather ambiance too. I need something to make my rose-colored glasses obsolete.

THIS.

Final Fantasy/DAoC/LoTOR perfected this. Weather, GOOD weather, is an awesome immersion factor.

It's also the one thing WoW failed miserably at.

Transporter on
  • Options
    TeyarTeyar Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Is this... A game built entirely around non competetive PQs?

That keening you're hearing? Its a higher-than-human-hearing squee.

Teyar on
    Kick At The Darkness Until It Bleeds Daylight
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I still like how this game looks.

This might be the David to blizzard's Goliath. Or, the thing that makes me at least try a different game and not go "meh, it's not WoW quality."

bowen on
  • Options
    eatmosushieatmosushi __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    this game needs

1. instanced battle grounds
    2. instanced battle grounds that you can join from anywhere
    3. instanced, level segmented battlegrounds that award xp for player kills/winning
    4. stat scaling to the highest level of the battleground, so a level 21 can fight a 25 without it being trivial
    5. let the top level characters have their own tier, do not pit max-5 vs max+best gear in game, that is annoying
    6. do whatever you can to keep wait time for these battle grounds down to a minimum
    7. for god's sake do not make me grind for shit. make the PVP entertaining enough to keep me playing, not artificial time sinks.

eatmosushi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Spun uncontrollably skyward... Driven brutally into the ground
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    further, if you think we're going to pay for another game with quests that say,

"collect 10 flowers lolz"...

i'll be salty.

eatmosushi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Spun uncontrollably skyward... Driven brutally into the ground
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    ~sigh~ There goes the thread.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    On that note, if you say "collect 8 dwarf brains" be realistic, let all 8 of the dwarfs drop brains.

If you want to slow down progression and get in some leveling, instead of making the 8 brains drop at a rate of 1 every 10 kills, tell me to collect 80 dwarf brains so I know how to budget my time or whether I should skip the quest and come back to it. Grindy quests are grindy.

And if your focus of your game is endgame, don't make the quest to end-game a crawl. Make it like a swift jog or sprint or something.

Edit:

It seems MMOs are getting away from the "oops that deer is missing some hoofs, heh" kind of quests which is good.

bowen on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Also, let tanks tank in pvp!

Let taunt effect enemies, let defenders have more interaction with active shielding, maybe becoming mobile line-of-site blockers?

Also, free for all pvp servers?

Nothing makes finding 10 flowers more fun than killing someone while THEY're trying to find 10 flowers.

eatmosushi on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Now see, bowen managed to make something good out of that vomit. I like bowen's idea.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.