As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Should I Invest in Running Shoes?

JeiceJeice regular
edited May 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Now, I already have these generic nike sneakers that I've had for about 4-6 years. They're pretty comfortable and I use them for everything. I've used them to run before, and most of the time I don't feel pain in my legs while or after running. Sometimes I get shin splints, but that was probably because I didn't stretch/warm up enough or went too hard too fast.

But, for this summer, I plan on running pretty much everyday for I guess about an hour (30 minutes to work, 30 minutes back).

So, should I invest in running shoes?

If so, which ones? The guy at foot locker recommended either the ASICS (ASICS Gel 1150) or Shocks. When I tried on both shoes, I prefered the ASICS. Are there other brands I should look into?

Jeice on

• JeiceJeice regular
    edited April 2010
    EDIT:

Why I want to get shoes:
    since running is pretty high impact, I don't want to hurt/damage my legs in the long run, so if getting these shoes will help, then I'll get it

Why I don't want to get shoes:
    if my current generic shoes are good enough, then I don't want to spend the $150 ish (CDN) for a slight difference.

Jeice on
  • adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Oh god yes.

I just got a pair of Nike Free 5.0 and they are glorious.

adytum on
  • BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Or if you're feeling adventurous, you could try getting Puma Tapers. People have been recommending them to me for some time, but they have been discontinued. Doesn't mean you can't still find them via ebay.

What I usually do when I want new shoes is: Go to shoe store, find a few new pairs that look cool/comfortable, try them on, and buy the one pair that feel the best to you. Because everyone is different, one pair may not be as good as another. I know, because I have the two evils, big and wide feet.
    adytum wrote: »
    Oh god yes.

I just got a pair of Nike Free 5.0 and they are glorious.
    These are good too.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Protein ShakesProtein Shakes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    Vibram Fivefingers.

I run in them. They are awesome.

Protein Shakes on
  • Angel177Angel177 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Vibram Fivefingers.

agreed.

Angel177 on
    6103544412_a48002080a.jpg
  • SliderSlider Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Vibram Fivefingers.

Yeah, but you look funny.

Slider on
    edited April 2010
    Slider wrote: »
    Vibram Fivefingers.

Hence the Nike Free 5.0's.

adytum on
    edited April 2010
    Vibram Fivefingers.

Nice shoes, but they're not for everyone.

I'd recommend finding a running store and having them pick out a pair of shoes for you.

Slider on
  • kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Vibram Fivefingers.

Nice shoes, but they're not for everyone.

I'd recommend finding a running store and having them pick out a pair of shoes for you.

Let's not revisit the vibram argument. You should invest in a pair of new speakers because you have owned the same sneakers for the same 4-6 years. No need to spend more than $125-$150.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • DaemonionDaemonion Mountain Man USARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Angel177 wrote: »
    Vibram Fivefingers.

agreed.
    I've been running in them since '07, and they're great (I also run barefoot), but there is a good chance you'll hurt yourself unless you are familiar with the style of running they entail.

It's best to start off with 1/10th of your normal running distance if you're going to get these and slowly work your way up from there. There is a strengthening period (as you are using your tendons and and certain micro muscles in ways that your body most likely isn't use to) that would be wise for you to baby yourself through.

Daemonion on
  • RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Jeice wrote: »
    EDIT:

Why I want to get shoes:
    since running is pretty high impact, I don't want to hurt/damage my legs in the long run, so if getting these shoes will help, then I'll get it

if my current generic shoes are good enough, then I don't want to spend the $150 ish (CDN) for a slight difference.

Get some running shoes. Also, get them from a running store - the kids at Sportsmart sound authoritative, but they're just trying to move product and don't know shit all about running. It's worth the mark-up for the expert advice.

Robman on
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2010
    Robman wrote: »
    EDIT:

Why I want to get shoes:

Get some running shoes. Also, get them from a running store - the kids at Sportsmart sound authoritative, but they're just trying to move product and don't know shit all about running. It's worth the mark-up for the expert advice.

this is so true
    don't go to the fucking chain general sport shoe stores like Foot Locker
    those guys don't know what the fuck

a good running shoe store will focus specifically on running shoes, will probably do a rudimentary gait analysis (if you want it), and should let your return the shoes no questions asked within a reasonable period (1-2 weeks for instance)
    as an example, I bought a pair of shoes from a local running shoe store that seemed to fit great at the store
    I immediately went on a 6 mile run with a friend, and about 2-3 miles in I started to notice a hot spot that by the end of the run had developed a very obvious blister
    they gladly took the shoes back and gave me a full refund, even though they were muddy from running in the rain

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited April 2010
    Really good running stores will have sensor pads for you to run on barefoot

But I've only seen that in two stores total, once in Ottawa, once in Toronto

Robman on
  • VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The good running stores will also tell you whether or not you can do the Vibram 5s or Nike Free shoes based on your anatomical running style. Don't just go get them, run, and injure yourself.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • xa52xa52 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    YES, for the amount of running that you're planning on doing, you definitely need running shoes. You'd need them for half that.

Go to a running store. Not a Foot Locker. 2 reasons. You don't want to make up your mind based on a review or recommendation here- you need the shoe that fits you best. At a good running store you'll get a guy that will work with you to find that shoe. You'll try a few kinds on, run back and forth a bit in each one if they got the space. Some of them have a treadmill if they don't have the space, or so the guy can stand behind you and watch your stride. You'll get the shoe that feels best and works best for your body/feet and the running habits you have already developed. A good shoe will lessen impact and support your feet in the right places (not all foot soles are shaped the same).

Many running stores will also sell last year's models for half price. Same shoe, different color, or maybe slight shape changes that you won't notice because this is your first real running shoe. It's all the same to you, except the price, so good stuff all around.

xa52 on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I have very flat feet and never ran because of them. A friend of mine recommended ASICS, and they were a tremendous improvement over any other shoes I have worn. I'm seriously considering the "barefoot" shoes the next time I'm in the market, but I'm not sure how my flat feet would take to that whole concept...

Inquisitor77 on
  • TavataarTavataar Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Running injuries are caused more from poor running form than from poor running shoes. There is a reason that Vib 5F or running barefoot won't cause as many injuries as wearing highly-padded running shoes; it is because they force you to run properly.

If you are interested, I will get some good websites for proper running from my friend (ex pro triathlete).

Tavataar on
    -Tavataar
  • VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Tavataar wrote: »
    Running injuries are caused more from poor running form than from poor running shoes. There is a reason that Vib 5F or running barefoot won't cause as many injuries as wearing highly-padded running shoes; it is because they force you to run properly.

Just curious, do you have a source for that statement?

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • TavataarTavataar Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    *edit*
    One quick articles from The Boston Globe; cites Harvard studies.

I should have said originally that a lot of current theories think that running injuries tend to come from poor form. It is not as proven, apparently, as I thought it was.

I will find some tomorrow for ya. My friend is the expert, I am just passing on his advice.

There is some logic backing why all of the major shoe companies are starting to make shoes with less and less padding.

Tavataar on
    -Tavataar
  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Oh yea, don't just go by a Globe article. It's not exactly a trusted resource even for those of us who live in Boston.

VisionOfClarity on
  • saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I don't know why everyone's recommending $120+ shoes. Just go to a proper shoe store that specializes in running shoes and pronation so you can get a shoe that has the right shape for your stride then get some $50-70 shoes that are right for you.

saltiness on
    XBL: heavenkils
  • EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I got actual running shoes from Overstock.com for about $55 and it was a huge improvement over generic sneakers. I then got my next pair of shoes (some nice Brooks shoes) for about $60 because the running store near me was having a 50% off last year's model shoes.

So there's no need to *spend* $120 on shoes, even if they did actually cost that much :D But yeah, when I got actual running shoes it was night & day. Lighter, more comfortable, and all that. They don't even have a ton of padding -- just good air circulation, grip the foot well, and all that.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
    edited April 2010
    I'd just like to clarify that you don't necessarily need to spend $100+ for running shoes, but it may be worth it for you to do so depending on a number of factors. And while some people have had success just going to a discount shoe store and getting shoes at half off, not everyone's feet are the same and you could end up wasting money on a pair that don't meet your needs. So I'd really recommend going to a dedicated running shoe store and having someone who knows what the fuck help you choose a good pair that fits you well and works with your gait and pronation. Don't listen to the guys that insist that because they got a really good deal on some running shoes that worked fine for them from some online discount store, that'll be fine for everyone.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • PerpetualPerpetual Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Oh yea, don't just go by a Globe article. It's not exactly a trusted resource even for those of us who live in Boston.

That's a pretty dumb thing to say, considering the same research has been reported by many other secondary sources.

http://www.google.com/search?q=harvard+daniel+shoeless+running&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Perpetual on
    edited April 2010
    Nike Free's are actually good for flat feet. I have flat feet. I've just started running in them but it's like an epiphany over regular running shoes.

adytum on
    edited April 2010
    Perpetual wrote: »

That's a pretty dumb thing to say, considering the same research has been reported by many other secondary sources.

http://www.google.com/search?q=harvard+daniel+shoeless+running&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

multiple sites quoting the exact same study doesn't magically make that one study more meaningful

it's interesting, it's promising, but more research needs to be done

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • strebaliciousstrebalicious Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I happen to be one of the barefooters (well, Vibrams at least, since the military makes me wear some kind of "shoe" for PT). But I did just recently start playing racquetball barefoot. But the fact is, if you are fun running with shoes on, then there is no reason to change your style. Like many have said, find a running store, get some sort of analysis on your feet (from a professional, not from some guy with a foot fetish), and get the proper shoes you need. Just don't go trying to run in a pair of Vans skateboard shoes or something crazy like that.

strebalicious on
    camo_sig2.png
  • AvicusAvicus Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Druhim wrote: »
    Perpetual wrote: »

multiple sites quoting the exact same study doesn't magically make that one study more meaningful

it's interesting, it's promising, but more research needs to be done

He was argueing that the Boston Globe isn't making shit up by linking other articles talking about the exact same thing.

Avicus on
    stephen_coop.gifkim_coop.gifscott_guitar.gif
  • xa52xa52 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Oh come on, the poor guy's only considering running 5k to and from work, and he needs to read through all this barefoot vs shoes stuff? I'll bet he comes back and reads this thread and just buys a bike.

OP- The truth is, anything will be a step up from what you're wearing now. I posted earlier, on the pro-shoe side, so you know what I think. Just please get something better if you're going to be running more this summer.

xa52 on
    camo_sig2.png
  • NatsusNatsus Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    xa52 wrote: »
    Oh come on, the poor guy's only considering running 5k to and from work, and he needs to read through all this barefoot vs shoes stuff? I'll bet he comes back and reads this thread and just buys a bike.

OP- The truth is, anything will be a step up from what you're wearing now. I posted earlier, on the pro-shoe side, so you know what I think. Just please get something better if you're going to be running more this summer.

yep, just get running shoes. Anything will be better than what you have.

Natsus on
    edited April 2010
    just because anything will be better than what he has, that doesn't mean he necessarily wants to settle for shoes that still don't fit and support him as well as they could

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • JeiceJeice regular
    edited April 2010
    K, so many have suggested that I go to a "dedicated running store" but I don't really know what that means. I figured that a Foot Locker would be that kind of store, but apparently it's not. The only other store that comes to mind is, Running Room. Would that do? If not, anyone know a store in Toronto, Ontario?

Jeice on
    edited April 2010
    K, so many have suggested that I go to a "dedicated running store" but I don't really know what that means. I figured that a Foot Locker would be that kind of store, but apparently it's not. The only other store that comes to mind is, Running Room. Would that do? If not, anyone know a store in Toronto, Ontario?

Correct. Foot Locker is not. If you know anyone who runs marathons, I'd ask them where they shop for shoes.

Running Room sounds like you're on the right track.

Slider on
    edited April 2010

Foot Locker is a general sports shoe store. They carry basketball shoes, sneakers, skate shoes. They're really more focused on fashion than anything else, pushing the shoes that are "hot" right now rather than what makes sense for a given customer and the sport they're playing. Sure, they'll sell you soccer cleats but odds are the kid selling them to you doesn't know shit about soccer and is probably just giving you a speech his manager taught him to make it sound like he does.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • mullymully Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The Running Room is good - but they are pricey. They will do a gait analysis for you, and will really take the time to help you find what you need. They can be pushy some times, though, so be ready for that.

Helpful hint: go to the pricey stores, do all the tests, ask them to write the shoe down that you've tried on - the size as well, just in case you have variations. Then if that's the one you want in the end, save yourself 50 bucks and find 'em on eBay or Craigslist or some other discount shoe site.

PS: Consider custom shoe inserts; they cost about 300 - 400 but they are very beneficial, if you have any foot problems. They will help to correct where you put the weight on your feet, and your posture. If you choose to go down that path, make sure you get those prior to finding running shoes, and try them on WITH them.

mully on
    edited April 2010
    That's good as long as you're sure that the shoe will work. Part of why the RR is expensive is because they'll take returns on used gear, IIRC

Robman on
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, like I said earlier, I've bought shoes that fit great in the store and were comfortable running around the block, but after actually going on a real run in them I got blisters because of hot spots that weren't noticeable until I'd run some real distance in them. But because I bought them from a good running store, they refunded me no questions asked. I'm willing to pay full price to shop someplace that actually has knowledgeable staff and allows returns on used shoes.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • matthias00matthias00 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Definitely go to a dedicated running store for shoes.

I went to one a couple years ago because I had a gift certificate, and the shoes they gave me were just so much better than any running shoes I had ever worn. I never knew how well a shoe could fit someone until I went into that store. It will be a truly sad day when they wear out.

They will definitely be more expensive, but in the case of running shoes you really get what you pay for.

matthias00 on
  • Feels Good ManFeels Good Man Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    you can get a good, decent pair for 50-80 bucks. Get that whatever analysis and be prepared to spend that amount. Thats all you really need

I went through basic training and AIT with some relatively cheap ASICS. comfortable, too, especially considering I was previously running in converse. how goddamned retarded is that

Feels Good Man on
    edited April 2010
    you can get a good, decent pair for 50-80 bucks. Get that whatever analysis and be prepared to spend that amount. Thats all you really need

I went through basic training and AIT with some relatively cheap ASICS. comfortable, too, especially considering I was previously running in converse. how goddamned retarded is that

Said it before and I'll keep saying it. Yeah, that might be the case for you but not everyone's feet are the same. What worked for you is not what works for everyone. Probably $60-$80 will be the price range, but if he can't find a shoe that works for him in that price range, better to pony up than to run in shoes that don't fit and support him well. Different runners have different needs, and there will be plenty of runners that fall in the middle so to speak and will do just fine with an average shoe (meaning neutral pronation and a foot of average width). Some people have more unusual situations and may over or under pronate significantly as well as having unusually wide or narrow feet.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
This discussion has been closed.