As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Two servers, two websites, one IP

Nakatomi2010Nakatomi2010 Registered User regular
Sounds like an internet terror meme, but it's not.

I debated posting this here or in the Help/Advice forums and figured since more techie types post here I'd probably get a better response.

Microsoft released their preview of Home Server Veil on Monday and I've since fired it up and gotten it running a secon machine at home. I also have a pre-existing Home Server at home.

I want the websites to co-exist.

I currently use the primary one and have several pictures and such linked to it from the outside world, I fear it too complicated for me to currently migrate the entire site tot he new system due to the add-ins I use, but I would love to take the new setup and have it move forward. I love it's features and want to use them to share pictures and movies with my family.

The problem is that both sites use SSL, and both sites use a login feature that requires you to authenticate against the host. I've read a few different things online on how to try to get it working but none of them seem to relate to having two SSL based websites.

Both sites are operating from *.homeserver.com realm, which I read should be do-able, just don't know how to get it done.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Check out me building my HTPC (NSF56K) (Updated 1-10-08)
Movie Collection
Foody Things
Holy shit! Sony's new techno toy!
Wii Friend code: 1445 3205 3057 5295
Nakatomi2010 on

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You could probably do this with a reverse proxy server.

It'd be it's own machine (or one of the other machines) that'd decide which website to load based on what it received. I have no knowledge on how to set them up, though.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Roland_tHTGRoland_tHTG Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Shouldn't this be just a matter of following whatever advice you've read on setting them up on the same network and changing the ports one of them uses and forwarding them on your router? Then just connecting to ip:port for the odd one rather than just ip for the standard.

Here's what a quick google said about changing ports for whs.

Roland_tHTG on
  • Nakatomi2010Nakatomi2010 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Shouldn't this be just a matter of following whatever advice you've read on setting them up on the same network and changing the ports one of them uses and forwarding them on your router? Then just connecting to ip:port for the odd one rather than just ip for the standard.

Here's what a quick google said about changing ports for whs.

This would be true, if not for the SSL certs. Based on what I've read SSL certs get read above all else, it's a security measure... And I'm trying to bypass it... Reverse proxy sounds good, I'll look into that.

any other thoughts?

Nakatomi2010 on
    Movie Collection
    Foody Things
    edited April 2010
    Changing the ports probably won't do anything to resolve the situation. Being that if I type in servera.homeserver.com I don't want to get directed to serverb.homeserver.com because that got port 80. Or 443.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    How have you acquired the ssl certs? Are they self generated or from a trusted CA?

Apothe0sis on
  • Nakatomi2010Nakatomi2010 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Server Beta's certificate is self generated, but Server Prime's certificate is a GoDaddy one, I'm guessing Microsoft had a partnership there.

Nakatomi2010 on
    Movie Collection
    Foody Things
  • Roland_tHTGRoland_tHTG Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    bowen wrote: »
    Changing the ports probably won't do anything to resolve the situation. Being that if I type in servera.homeserver.com I don't want to get directed to serverb.homeserver.com because that got port 80. Or 443.

That's why I said you would have to use ip:port to specify which machine you wanted on the one that you change from default rather than just ip. It seems like it wouldn't be much different than having to change ports because an isp has the standard ones blocked. Another quick google shows it can be done. Check these links

http://mswhs.com/2007/06/21/problems-accessing-whs-web-interface-ports-80-and-443-blocked/

http://www.myhomeserver.com/?page_id=23

But, of course, I'm going off other things I've had trouble with in the past since I've never used WHS so I'm all out of other ideas. Good luck!

Roland_tHTG on
    edited April 2010
    If homeserver can handle doing:

beta.homeserver.com -> yourip:81
    alpha.homeserver.com -> yourip:80

That'd work too. But that's pretty much a reverse proxy situation that's handled by homeserver.

However just having them on different port numbers as forwarded by a router won't accomplish anything.

For instance, yourip:80 & yourip:81 (alpha and beta servers respectively). Let's say you point your nameserver for both of these (domain1.com and domain2.com) to your ip address. Nameservers really can't differentiate IP:port combos. So visiting domain1.com will bring you to the alpha server, visiting domain2.com will still bring you to the alpha server.

domain1.com:81 will bring you to the beta server. I understand what you're saying but, without a reverse proxy (and in your examples it seems like homeserver handles that fine it looks like?) you won't be able to accomplish anything.

Just in case someone else tries this and figures "hey with my own domains I should be able to mimic what homeserver has set up!"

bowen on