As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

First cellphone

AistanAistan Tiny BatRegistered User regular
edited April 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So i'm going to be working for the Census as an Enumerator starting this weekend and I figure I should get a cellphone just for practicality's sake.

Thing is, i've never gotten one before and have no clue whatsoever about what to look for, etc. Any tips?

I live in Washington State if that makes a difference.

Aistan on

• Options
    billwillbillwill Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Are you concerned with entertainment? Does it need to have a touchscreen? How about a physical keyboard? Will you browse the web with your phone? What carrier do you have in mind?

Etc etc. More details please.

billwill on
    I hate you and you hate me.
  • Options
    WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    How technology minded are you?

For a first cell phone I'd typically recommend something simple, but if you are used to an iPod Touch, or other equally complex devices then the world of iPhones, Blackberries, and other smartphones becomes open to you. Also, how much are you looking to spend both on the phone and on the service? Are you looking for a monthly plan, or pay-as-you-go? Would you be going on a contract or buying the phone straight out?

Wezoin on
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I want something that can make phone calls and fit in a pocket.

Aistan on
  • Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    as another Washington resident, I suggest Verizon.

They have far more coverage in some of our more rural areas than other carriers. In my experience, anyway.

hatedinamerica on
  • Options
    Roland_tHTGRoland_tHTG Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Aistan wrote: »

A quick look at their coverage map looks like you might have no luck depending on where you are in WA, but we got one of these for our youngest since we're worried about having to replace a lost phone if we add him to our regular plan.

Roland_tHTG on
  • Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Most cellphone companies have really simple bar phones (flat, no moving parts) that you can probably get for free with a plan. I have a simple Nokia bar phone that has served me well for 2 years. I can call people, take pictures, and text message. It's too simple to mess up, and it was free with my plan.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    billwillbillwill Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Then what are you asking for, exactly? Get the free phone. Problem solved.

billwill on
    I hate you and you hate me.
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    If you're not planning on using it very much (only a couple calls a week/emergencies), you should look into getting a pre-paid plan - only pay for minutes you use, otherwise it doesn't cost a cent (besides the initial investment for the phone itself, probably around $50).

KalTorak on
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    billwill wrote: »

Then what are you asking for, exactly? Get the free phone. Problem solved.

See, that falls under the umbrella of me knowing literally nothing about cellphones whatsoever, like I said.

Free is good, i'll have to look into that since i'm sure there are a list of conditions longer than my arm.

Aistan on
  • Options
    BoutrosBoutros Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Don't get an iphone! I got an iphone for my first ever cellphone a year and a half ago and it has kind of been a huge waste of money.

Don't discount text messaging either. Before I got a phone I though texting was stupid and a huge waste of time, but now I always exceed my monthly texting quota and never even come close on my minutes. Probably would have saved money if I had gone with unlimited texts, but I just never imagined that texting would be so much more convenient and informal than talking to people like a normal person is.

Boutros on
  • Options
    strebaliciousstrebalicious Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Do you plan on keeping the cell phone after your census work is done (as I'm assuming this is a temporary job)? If you don't, I'd suggest going for a prepaid deal. If you ARE going to keep it afterwards, then a cheap-o bar phone or something wouldn't be bad.

Another thing you could look into is this. Get an unlocked cell phone from Amazon (some cheap ones there) and go with a T-Mobile Even More Plus plan. They require no contract and the plans are $10 cheaper a month.

strebalicious on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    RynaRyna Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I think a simple pre-paid clam shell phone would be best for you. I emphasize the clam shell design because most have the 'open to answer, close to end' settings, which is usually easier than pressing buttons.

Ryna on
  • Options
    WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Ryna wrote: »
    I think a simple pre-paid clam shell phone would be best for you. I emphasize the clam shell design because most have the 'open to answer, close to end' settings, which is usually easier than pressing buttons.

It also reduces the chances of calling people accidentally - see my thread a few weeks ago about my blackberry dialing 911 in my pocket and me hearing a panicking voice scream trying to get my attention.

My advice would be check out which carrier has the best coverage for the best price, and then let us know what your price range is for the phone or if you're going on a contract what your 'free phone' options are. Some of the free phones they will give you are really garbage and won't last long, and then you are on the hook to buy a new phone.

Wezoin on