As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Printers and the recommendation thereof.

maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what?New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
Can anyone recommend a good printer for someone that prints black-only? I'm tired of being raped through the wallet for black ink cartridges for Epson.

FU7kFbw.png
Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
maximumzero on

• Options
    PirusuPirusu Pierce Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    What's your budget? I'd suggest a laser, for just printing monochrome. Something like this.

Pirusu on
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I've got an HP LaserJet 1020 that I picked up for dirt cheap (I can't remember where) about 4 years ago. It's still using its original non-full ink supply (so you can tell how much I print). Works perfectly, PLUS HP has Win7 drivers for it on their website.

Mugsley on
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Dunno if the deal is still valid, but earlier this week I picked up a Samsung Monochrome Laser Printer ML-2525. Saw the deal on Fatwallet, it's at OfficeMax, currently on sale for half-off (in-store only), so while it's normally $120 it was $60 out the door. And if you do what I did and sign up for their free MaxPerks card before going, you get 50% back in the form of a gift card for OfficeMax a month later (sign up online, even minutes before you leave, you then get an account number and print a temp card if you have the ability to print, I picked the business card, there's also a teacher/education one). So if you have anything else there you were interested in, it's essentially $30 for a new black laser printer. It's compatible with both Mac and Windows. It's fairly new, but reviews have been kind, I haven't opened mine up yet.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    DibbitDibbit Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Pirusu wrote: »
    What's your budget? I'd suggest a laser, for just printing monochrome. Something like this.

I can second this suggestion.
    I have a Brother laser printer that seems almost identical to the linked item, and I'm assuming they work about the same. (It even looks the same)

I've found it ideal for home printing: They're fast, they're cheap to buy and the toner cartridge lasts a long time. You get about 2500 pages of text out of 1 toner. (only 1000 with the "free" one you get when you purchase one) and it's about $45 per toner, I've found that to be a much better deal then ink.
    However, the biggest plus I personally found is that your printer will never say "Your ink is more then a year old, that's waaay to old for me, go buy new stuff!" (My old HP used to do that, very annoying)

The only "downside" I've found with mine is that it really sucks up electricity when it's actually printing: the lights in the room actually dim for a second or so.

Dibbit on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Dibbit wrote: »
    Pirusu wrote: »

I can second this suggestion.
    I have a Brother laser printer that seems almost identical to the linked item, and I'm assuming they work about the same. (It even looks the same)

I've found it ideal for home printing: They're fast, they're cheap to buy and the toner cartridge lasts a long time. You get about 2500 pages of text out of 1 toner. (only 1000 with the "free" one you get when you purchase one) and it's about $45 per toner, I've found that to be a much better deal then ink.
    However, the biggest plus I personally found is that your printer will never say "Your ink is more then a year old, that's waaay to old for me, go buy new stuff!" (My old HP used to do that, very annoying)

The only "downside" I've found with mine is that it really sucks up electricity when it's actually printing: the lights in the room actually dim for a second or so.

I actually picked up the Brother printer you linked last night at OfficeMax on the way home from work.

It was on sale for $99.99, only $10 more than NewEgg, so I figured I'd just eat those $10 and go for it.

I had a bit of trouble setting it up wirelessly but it's set up and so far so good. We'll see how it goes.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Here's an open box sale on NewEgg on the HP LaserJet P1006 that I have. It's worked great for my monochrome printing, although I don't do a huge volume so I can speak comparatively to toner prices.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Aw man laser printers are so fucking cool... the type looks so pretty on the page. And the spit out pages very fast. I really miss working on an office with a cool b&w laser printer.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png