As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Streets Ahead 4-28-10: They Broke the Bar!

TexiKenTexiKen Dammit!That fish really got me!Registered User regular
edited May 2010 in Graphic Violence
Green Lantern Corps #47 was extra sized goodness, thank you for being so awesome Gleason, and you too Tomasi!

gl47a.jpg

gl47b.jpg

gl47c.jpg

Is that not the best Guy facial expression in the series?

gl47d.jpg

gl47e.jpg

gl47f.jpg

TexiKen on

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Oh crap. I forgot to buy comics today. Son of a bitch.

Lucascraft on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Oh god. Legacy.

Pure fucking magic.

Bloods End on
    edited April 2010
    Yay, I managed to get out to the comic shop before he closed. Now I won't be streets behind.

Lucascraft on
    edited April 2010
    Wonder Woman was good this week. Its the second issue in the Space-Amazon arc, but this issue was all action. Fighting on almost every page.

Unfortunately I don't have a scan, but there's a really cool page that stands out as my motw for that issue:
    Achilles rides in on a giant elephant and stabs a colossal serpent in the head with his spear. It was good stuff.

Lucascraft on
  • aaronsedgeaaronsedge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    Whose the orange fox with pointy ears?

aaronsedge on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Munch wrote: »
    Only if there are some tig ol' bitties on the cover know'm sayin'?
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I've got your back buddy...
    WW2-7.jpg

WW3-6.jpg

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    It's [strike]Zelda[/strike] Arisia.

And here's some Quicksilver coolness from T-Bolts #143:
    tb143a.jpg

tb143b.jpg

tb143c.jpg

TexiKen on
    edited April 2010
    Awesome scans Virral. Thanks.

Lucascraft on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    Is there some Elephant thing going on? Thats the third time this week I've seen that joke (30 Rock, Supernatural and now that).

DarkWarrior on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I got a good amount of books this week but nothing compares to the epic beatdown in Thunderbolts.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited April 2010
    This JSA story-arc went from boring to a pretty cool alternate future story. I'm digging it a lot

Garlic Bread on
    edited April 2010
    How is it different from other alternate realities? I read the first issue of it and have just decided to trade wait (because to be honest they were killing off so many people so fast in the first issue it felt like nothing with repurcussions, even for a what if?)

TexiKen on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »
    How is it different from other alternate realities? I read the first issue of it and have just decided to trade wait (because to be honest they were killing off so many people so fast in the first issue it felt like nothing with repurcussions, even for a what if?)

Alan Scott's death was pretty funny. Who left this giant wooden box here?! Anybody? Well, guess I better move close to it, all vulnerable-like.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited April 2010
    That and Jesse Quick's death by marbles.

TexiKen on
    edited April 2010

Alan Scott's death was pretty funny. Who left this giant wooden box here?! Anybody? Well, guess I better move close to it, all vulnerable-like.

Do you find wood generally suspicious?

Only a Trojan would...

DarkWarrior on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Only a Trojan would...

Wood's his weakness, though. It's like if someone sent Superman a box made of Kryptonite and Doomsdays.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited April 2010

Only a Trojan would...

Wood's his weakness, though. It's like if someone sent Superman a box made of Kryptonite and Doomsdays.

Man, I couldn't resist knowing what was inside, certain death aside, curiosity would just be too great.

Of course inside you end up finding
    more kryptonite

DarkWarrior on
    edited April 2010
    Which JSA is this? The regular ongoing JSA, or the JSA Unlimited or whatever they're calling it?

Lucascraft on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

tb143a.jpg

tb143b.jpg

tb143c.jpg

daaaaaaaaaaaaaayuuuuum

Furu on
  • Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Furu wrote: »

tb143a.jpg

tb143b.jpg

tb143c.jpg

daaaaaaaaaaaaaayuuuuum

I was just about to post this for my MOTW. Thanks Tex (love the thread title btw!), now I can go back to kicking myself for not getting Green Lantern Corps this week.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited April 2010

It's just a cool story?

The early deaths were pretty meaningless, yeah. I think they were just put there to establish that it's not a "real" story.

Garlic Bread on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Now that I have my comics, I'm seconding the Thunderbolts beatdown as MOTW.

Or the incredible amounts of lesbian subtext in this week's Nomad backup.

Furu on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm with you guys, Mr X getting battered is my moment of the week too. What a complete punk.

Solar on
  • Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So while Siege: Secret Warriors was pretty terrible IMO (I hated what they did with Phobos, how fucking pointless), the issue did have Fury and Cap shooting the shit.
    SiegeSecretwarriors1015.jpg
    SiegeSecretwarriors1016.jpg

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Nice, I like that.

Wildcat on
  • PantheraOncaPantheraOnca Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    that is the best backdrop for a man asking another man out on a date ever.

PantheraOnca on
    edited April 2010
    Wait, when did Steve Rogers become John Walker? Steve should be lecturing Nick about the damaging effects of alcohol and not defending civil liberties by taking a break during the fight.

TexiKen on
  • psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    He's talking to John Walker, Fury just can't tell the difference with only one eye.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I think Balder's bullet deflection in Thor was pretty fucking perfect.

So awesome.

Sharp101 on
  • Hello WaterfaceHello Waterface Sweet Little Rock 'n' Roller In the timbers of FennarioRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Sharp101 wrote: »
    I think Balder's bullet deflection in Thor was pretty fucking perfect.

So awesome.

Agreed. Balder is just such a badass in that book.

Hello Waterface on
    Welcome to Miami Beach, ladies and gentlemen. Everything is cheaper than it looks.

Please take my advice.
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Nice to see him use his light based powers as well.

Solar on
    edited April 2010
    Jack of Fables #45:
    MacDuff noooooooo

he got exploded by a dick wizard but Jack rebuilt him but all he can doo Hooot now

And Deadpool was a good done in one issue although Way really goes over the top with the Southern accent.

TexiKen on
  • DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    And Deadpool was a good done in one issue although Way really goes over the top with the Southern accent.

I lol'd like Deadpool did upon seeing the name "White Lightnin'."

Twice.

Such a puntastic name.

Darklyre on
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So, uh, I really dug all of Superman 699, Last Stand of New Krypton, and today's 0 issue of War of the Supermen.

I'm pretty psyched for the next four weeks.

HadjiQuest on
    edited May 2010
    Hadji can you give a rundown of what happened in Last Stand? I read the first issue and then just read the Superman issues (so I guess there is a female Daxamite out there?). It felt kind of weak how they moved Mon-El out of the way so fast.

Also, was War of Supermen #0 actually important, or was it like Blackest Night #0?

TexiKen on
    edited May 2010
    War of the Supermen #0 just pretty much says "WE'RE AT WAR WITH EARTH" and then gives a "Previously on Superman Comic" segment

Garlic Bread on
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    You forgot the part where a year-plus of Superman stories is tied up with "LOL Superman is an idiot". You've still got the touch, James Robinson.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Magna InfernoMagna Inferno Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    But does he have the power?

Magna Inferno on
    ultimates-1.png
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hadji can you give a rundown of what happened in Last Stand? I read the first issue and then just read the Superman issues (so I guess there is a female Daxamite out there?). It felt kind of weak how they moved Mon-El out of the way so fast.

Also, was War of Supermen #0 actually important, or was it like Blackest Night #0?

Basically it was just a lot of well-decided diversions and battle scenes until the last issue.
    The Adventure/Legion issues focused on Brainiac 5 dealing with the legacy of the original Brainiac and Vril Dox, trying to stop an anomaly that Brainiac 1 had created in the past which was destroying the future. Eventually he has to travel back to the past to help the legion members there and make sure shit goes down according to plan. There's also, if I remember right, a little about Superboy and the Legion away team that wasn't really important, and a backup about a kryptonian sleeper agent in Lane's army that was pretty dull and I didn't really care for (I should be careful about what I say, cause I think the guy that wrote it lurks around here; it wasn't a bad story, I just don't like that type of thing in my Superman).

The Supergirl issues dealt with her trying to unite the kryptonians, deal with her mom, team up with superboy, and then in Supergirl 52 she met Brainiac 5 for the first time, whereas this was one of his later times meeting her. They tore apart the engine to Brainiac's ship so that the shields would go down.

What I can remember of the overall plot is that the legion team and superboy show up, and they're arrested by Zod, but eventually break free. Superman gets inside Brainiac's ship right away, and Mon-El follows pretty closely behind before the legion shows up as well.

Eventually Brainiac re-shrinks Kandor, but it turns out Zod was planning for it, as they've created a device that allows him and his spec-ops team to escape the bottle and re-enlarge in Brainiac's ship. They head around and start wrecking shit. Superman frees Kandor, and gets Supergirl and Brainiac 5 to re-enlarge it. He heads back to fight brainiac and zod.

Luthor turns out to be a plant from Lane, and he grows one of the bottled cities in the ship, which brings down the ship and then starts to destroy Kandor by growing over it. Brainiac 5 stops it, but sees that Supes has been impaled in the wreckage, and so the super-family regathers to fix him up and transfuse blood to him.

Brainiac and Zod get into a battle, one-on-one and Zod depowers so it's an even fight. Zod wrecks Brainiac, and is about to deliver a kill-shot when Kal-El jumps in to try and stop him, and then Brainiac 5 teleports back to the 31st Century with Brainiac 1.

Kandor lies in near-ruins, but the people have more faith in Zod than ever before because he was able to "save" them from Brainiac, and many people saw him almost deliver the kill shot. Zod says Luthor's involvement shows that humanity clearly is trying to destroy New Krypton, and the Super-family finds out that "Luthor" was only an android. Meanwhile, on earth General Lane gives Luthor a Presidential Pardon, allowing him to return to Lex Corp. They explain that the Luthor android was created by Toyman.

Zod announces a war with earth, and Lane says something about final preparation for the war.

Mon-El got shafted, what you saw in Superman 699 was all they explain of that stuff. Nothing more.

War of the Supermen #0 is essentially just a really cool fight scene between Supes and Zod/Ursa/Non, with Zod announcing that his first wave is already reaching Earth at the end. Then Lois narrates a recap of everything that's happened so far in the last year.

This isn't really a spoiler at all, but it ends with
    Jimmy Olsen showing up back at the planet, revealing to Lois that he's been in hiding for months. He has tons of info on Project 7734 from Natasha Irons, who is now missing after months undercover.

HadjiQuest on
  • projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    All of Deadpool. All of it.

projectmayhem on