As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sprained ankle still hasn't healed...?

FlayFlay Registered User regular
edited May 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
The Tuesday before last, my left ankle suffered a minor sprain. I've sprained my ankle three times before (always the left one), and this injury wasn't as severe as any of those. However, in all of those instances, my ankle was back to feeling perfectly normal within four days to a week, tops. Despite this sprain being lesser, it's now been a week and a half since I did the damage and I still can't walk on it properly. I can walk - the pain isn't severe, but it's uncomfortable, and it's enough to prevent me from running, jumping etc...

Anyways, before I head out and blow some money on a GP, is this anything I should be concerned about?

Flay on

• Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I sprained my ankle hard and it hurt for several weeks

still, go to a doctor

MrDelish on
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You could have a stress fracture, or torn a ligament, or even just not noticed it was a severe sprain - all of which can take many weeks to recover from.

Go to the doctor.

Usagi on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Sprained my ankle, went to see a doctor, told it was sprained.

About four weeks now and it still hurts. It takes time.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Your ankle permanently weakens with each sprain; possibly your ankle's so damaged at this point that a minor sprain takes a long time to recover.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    NatsusNatsus Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Sprains are funny. They can take a few weeks to heal or a few months. Heck, I've had a sprain that didn't fully heal until a year later. Best to just take an easy and treat the sprain as any normal sprain. ice it and try to keep off of it as much as possible.

Natsus on
  • Options
    MrOlettaMrOletta Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I rolled my ankle while playing table tennis at work, and a year later it would still ache when I was bouldering. Depending on what damage was done, it can take quite a while..

MrOletta on
  • Options
    WalterWalter Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Odds are he's going to tell you its sprained and to go easy on it for a month or he'll do an x-ray, find a stress fracture and tell you to go easy on it for 6 weeks. If you have no problem with movement I don't think I would waste the money.

Walter on
  • Options
    SliderSlider Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Walter wrote: »
    Odds are he's going to tell you its sprained and to go easy on it for a month or he'll do an x-ray, find a stress fracture and tell you to go easy on it for 6 weeks. If you have no problem with movement I don't think I would waste the money.

^This.

Slider on
  • Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    i sprained my ankle on march 27th and sometimes i still can't walk on it. ankles are tricky things. go to physio if you can - that helps a bit - theyll scar the tissue so it reheals properly and do vibratey things to it. do small amounts of ankle exercise (move it around on its own), and ice it for 8 - 10 minutes every half hour or so.

mully on
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Mmm okay, thanks everyone. Turns out there's a chance I might have to see a doctor soon for a completely unrelated reason anyways, so I might leave it at least until then. I can make a decision then if I don't actually end up seeing them.

Flay on
  • Options
    DukiDuki Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    more than likely you had a very bad sprain and tore up the ligaments inside the ankle.

i did that quite recently while ballin'. had to wear a cast and shit for a week, and then slowly remobilise it. only been able to run for about a week now.

ankle sprains can have varying degrees of ouch, so maybe you fucked it a lot worse than you thought you had. mind you, when i did mine, my entire ankle ballooned into a purple blob in about a second, so you should prolly know if you did tear a ligament.

Duki on