As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Are unbranded/OEM video cards bad? $270 ATI 5850

IoloIolo ioloRegistered User regular
(I'm adrift without the Computer Build Thread...)

Normally TigerDirect's sales offer little of interest or little that is actually cheaper than NewEgg's regular prices. Today's hyped up Black Friday in April sale, though, has an OEM ATI 5850 for $270 and free shipping.

Counting shipping, that's more than $45 cheaper than the cheapest available 5850's on NewEgg (an XFX and a Gigabyte.)

I didn't know there even were unbranded video cards. Are these to be avoided for some reason? Lack of customer support? No driver updates? Is this a good deal or more trouble than it's worth?

Lt. Iolo's First Day
Steam profile.
Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
Iolo on

• Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Usually it's just the lack of warrenty. I would prefer to buy a vid card with a lifetime warrenty which I think XFX do.

Rook on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Rook wrote: »
    Usually it's just the lack of warrenty. I would prefer to buy a vid card with a lifetime warrenty which I think XFX do.

Yep...that part offers only 3 months parts and labor. I believe they do that because, in general, it will be the OEM (which is intended to be somebody like Dell or your just local computer shop) to provide support/warranty, not them.

Compare this to even the worst off-brand card, which will come with at least a year. Usually more like 5.

Is saving $45 worth the risk of having to drop another $270 if/when it craps out in 91 days? Because that shit happens.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Well there you go. Thanks, guys.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2