As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Giving my car some facial hair

billwillbillwill Registered User regular
edited May 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
No, that isn't some clever thread title. I want to give my car a mustache.

What would be a good material to give the mustache that delicious hairy look, but is also cheap, and will hopefully last against being pummeled by high winds when I'm driving on the freeway? Also, how would you recommend attaching it to the car? I was thinking three or four wires on the grill, but if you have a better option, please share.

I would also like a recommendation for which color I should use. I have a 1994 BMW 525i that is this color (except not quite as shiny). Should I go with a black stache? Red? Orange? Yellow? Tell me which you think would go best with my car.

P.S. Yes, I was informed that you could buy one, but I'm not going to drop upwards of 40 bucks on something that I can build myself at a much lower cost. Plus, I feel like having a "project" to work on.

Thanks.

I hate you and you hate me.
billwill on

• Options
    TracerBulletTracerBullet Spaceman Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I imagine stuffed felt would work fairly well, just make sure the seams face the grill of your car and not the oncoming wind/rocks/bugs/etc.

And I gotta recommend the brown stache for a car. I dunno why, but I can't picture ANY car having a mustache ANY other color than brown.

TracerBullet on
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Felt I think would work fine for the short term..

Excuse me for asking but why do you want to do this?

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I was thinking brown rope/cord bound together in the proper shape.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    THEPAIN73 wrote: »

Hipster cred.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    THEPAIN73 wrote: »

Friend bet me that I wouldn't, and with school being out, I have a lot of free time.

billwill on
  • Options
    E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    push broom?

E.Coyote on
  • Options
    jedikuonjijedikuonji Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    What kind of mustache are we talking about? You will need different materials for say a sweeping stache with curls on the end vs. a Hitler style stache.

jedikuonji on
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Looped%20dust%20mop.JPG

You could dye it or spray paint it for some color. I would probably try a dye first.

Shogun on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    this is the stashe you want

http://z.about.com/d/americanhistory/1/0/u/9/27_taft_1.jpg

Maybe a wooden frame covered in felt

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Shogun wrote: »
    Looped%20dust%20mop.JPG

You could dye it or spray paint it for some color. I would probably try a dye first.

If you get a material like this, commercial printers have a really strong Velcro that I've often used to hang up massive banners on walls. the adhesive is really strong though, I have no idea what will happen to your cars paint when you decide to remove it.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Not to ruin your awesome idea or anything, but if you look through the front grill of your car, you're going to see a fairly large radiator fan. Restricting airflow through the grill to that fan would be a bad idea, so just keep that in mind for your final design.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    btw if you use my suggestion do some eyebrows as well

Shogun on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    you could just mount it off the license plate holder. obviously if you have to have a front license plate you should use the bottom screws or make it so its hanging below the plate. though i doubt it would block airflow too much if is a thin stash off the edge of the hood

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, don't block the plate or grille, but I imagine you can manage that. You should post pictures when you're done.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    this is the stashe you want

http://z.about.com/d/americanhistory/1/0/u/9/27_taft_1.jpg

Maybe a wooden frame covered in felt

I've pictured this kind in my mind. Any other kind isn't as distinctive, at least to me.

billwill on
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm thinking a gold/blond mustache would go nicely with that car. As for how to do it, I got nothing.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Do you realize how bug-ridden this 'stache is going to be? Like, really gross. Make sure you can hose down whatever it is.

Delzhand on