As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So you want to get Microsoft Certified

Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
edited April 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
My boss would like me to learn SQL, take exams and get microsoft certified in DBA or DB Development (I think i'd prefer Dev, thats more the building of DB's right?). I've dipped my toes into SQL, but i'm a bit locked out of moving forward with my teaching myself, as i think some people are in fear for their jobs. but anyways, can you guys recommend some classes or books that might be helpful? I'm really more of a hands on learner (as in, less of a text book and more of a "here's an example database, do these 15 things to it, here's how"). I'm not trying to go to school for however long as i can't leave my job, and the expense of that is probably more than he's willing to bear. Also, he taught himself with books long ago, so i'm thinking he's expecting similar behavior from me.

Any help is much appreciated!

Dr. Frenchenstein on

• Options
    MoSiAcMoSiAc Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Kentucky recently had a program where you got a free voucher for online Microsoft courses. I'm using it to learn windows server 2k8. It isn't really a robust course but I'm saving around 300 dollars.

You could see if you're company is willing to pay for the online courses or see if your state government is offering a similar program, which usually come with a 'virtual envirotment' to do certain exercises with.

MoSiAc on
    Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics
  • Options
    PirateJonPirateJon Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Microsoft has a great site about this.
    http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/2008/en/us/try-it.aspx

Try this subsection for your hands-on.
    Experience Microsoft SQL Server 2008 hands on, and see how it can provide a scalable, high-performance database engine for mission-critical applications that require the highest levels of availability and security. Virtual labs are simple, with no complex setup or installation required. You get a downloadable manual and a 90-minute block of time for each module.

Application Development

* Data Programmability
    * Data Platform
    * Spatial Data

Data Warehousing
    * Data Warehousing
    * SQL Server 2008 Overview

Business Intelligence
    * Analysis Services
    * Data Mining

SQL Server Integration Services
    * SQL Server Reporting Services