As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Wasting Class Time

• satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    i always hate it when my truth gets deflated so well done

satansfingers on
  • Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    bongi wrote: »
    I think I'm nearly finished with my dissertation :o

what's it about what's it about

use layman's english please I do not understand one-third of the signifiers in your course of study

just nice and easy english

like a tepid saltbath

taking me down

down

deflationist theories of truth, the liar paradox, and semantic inconsistency

ok see I don't even have the wherewithal to know if that's all some kind of metajoke because it definitely looks like one

Charles Kinbote on
  • bongibongi regular
    edited April 2010

use layman's english please I do not understand one-third of the signifiers in your course of study

like a tepid saltbath

taking me down

down

ok see I don't even have the wherewithal to know if that's all some kind of metajoke because it definitely looks like one

no that is really what my dissertation is about! :cry:

tsatansfingers: it's okay! i think i am not on the side of deflationism. inflate your truth all you want! (do not inflate your truth all you want that is silly)

bongi on
  • Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You're a Philosophy major right?

Are you doing your Masters?

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • bongibongi regular
    edited April 2010
    yes, philosophy

no, undergrad

bongi on
    edited April 2010

like a tepid saltbath

taking me down

down

no that is really what my dissertation is about! :cry:

oh!

see I thought you were making a joke because semantic inconsistency sort of applies here because I understand the strict denotative qualities of the words that you're using, and yet do not understand their meanings, thus illustrating a pretty significant gap in the signifier-signified equation

therefore semantic inconsistency, I think. and therefore a metajoke. I haven't really studied this stuff!

and I have no clue what ontological deflationism or the liar paradox are.

Charles Kinbote on
  • PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I have my own share of terrible group project stories. I try to avoid them whenever I have the chance to.

Platy on
  • bongibongi regular
    edited April 2010
    deflationism is a theory about truth that says that the content of a sentence to which the truth predicate has been applied is 'flat' with respect to the content of the sentence

the liar paradox shows that our common-sense notion of truth is logically inconsistent (i.e. the truth-conditions for our sentences are trivial)

the inconsistency approach is the view that this does not really matter because adequate communication only requires that speakers share the same semantic theory(/theories), not that they are logically non-trivial

it's difficult to explain with no background, it's all very esoteric

bongi on
  • Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    No, it's cool I totally get it.

(No, I don't.)

I know you probably hate this question, but what do you plan to 'do' with your degree?

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • bongibongi regular
    edited April 2010
    ...apply for an MA! 8-)

bongi on
    edited April 2010
    yes higher-level philosophy is awfully tricky to move into laterally, it seems (from the outside) as though you need to have a pretty firm grasp of the notions upon which each development is predicated

mostly just because of the damn vocabulary. Anytime I try to just jump into higher stuff I understand every word and zero sentences.

Deflationism escapes me, I think I'm on/about the level with you concerning the latter two

Charles Kinbote on
  • T. J. Nutty Nub T. J. Nutty Nub Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I think I have a better understanding of gen ed requirements and humanities degrees now that I'm here at college, and respect people who do pursue those degrees.

I'm just glad I only need to take 24 credit hours worth of gen eds

T. J. Nutty Nub on
  • bongibongi regular
    edited April 2010
    yes higher-level philosophy is awfully tricky to move into laterally, it seems (from the outside) as though you need to have a pretty firm grasp of the notions upon which each development is predicated

mostly just because of the damn vocabulary. Anytime I try to just jump into higher stuff I understand every word and zero sentences.

Deflationism escapes me, I think I'm on/about the level with you concerning the latter two

So an inflationist theory of truth is something like

x is true if and only if x corresponds to the facts in the world

or

x is true if and only if x is the rational end-point of enquiry

or something like that

deflationism says

'x' is true if and only if x

that is, the truth of a sentence (x) depends only upon the content of the sentence, not on a uniform definition like 'correspondence with facts in the world'

bongi on
    edited April 2010
    I hope to Moderate into the Upper College next semester, if I can get my Moderation Requirements out of the way

crossing my fingers because that would be gooolden

Charles Kinbote on
  • AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The liar paradox is "This sentence is false."

I'm sure that there's a bunch of ramifications for the meaning of truth, but that seems to be the easiest way to understand it.

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • 101101 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The extent of my philosophy knowledge comes from the D&D thread and I do not understand it at all.

Sticking to maths, where I have changed from BSc Maths to BSc Maths and its Applications! My 3rd year will now be a year in industry, which should be awesome.

101 on
    edited April 2010

or

or something like that

deflationism says

that is, the truth of a sentence (x) depends only upon the content of the sentence, not on a uniform definition like 'correspondence with facts in the world'

what I'm hearing here is that you're primarily interested in the way language relates to the notion of an objective truth and, to a lesser extent, the way it bears upon subjective perception?

I am putting it into third-grade language for my own well-being I am sorry if this makes your interest set sound like baby interests

Charles Kinbote on
  • bongibongi regular
    edited April 2010

or

or something like that

deflationism says

what I'm hearing here is that you're primarily interested in the way language relates to the notion of an objective truth and, to a lesser extent, the way it bears upon subjective perception?

I am putting it into third-grade language for my own well-being I am sorry if this makes your interest set sound like baby interests

i'm interested in how our intuitive notion of truth operates and its relation to linguistics, yeah

something like that

bongi on
    edited April 2010
    ok I think we may have reached a comfortable middle ground between our levels of understanding

Charles Kinbote on
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I just set a record for least amount of time wasted on an expert-level game of minesweeper when I should be outlining: 135 seconds

MrMonroe on
    edited April 2010
    I got really low times on minesweeper one year but then I had to re-image my computer

A sad day

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • thanimationsthanimations Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I once beat computer solitaire in 59 seconds

thanimations on
  • FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    functional analysis is killing me

FAQ on
  • SwissLionSwissLion We are beside ourselves! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The finer points of renaissance politics are having me publicly shamed, exiled to my villa in the countryside, and expertly and systematically forgotten about.

SwissLion on
    ImWcN1I.png?3
  • RinderRinder Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I once beat computer solitaire in 59 seconds

Too bad you weren't at this lan party I attended a year ago.
    Dude with a 1:01 time won a $1000 processor.

Rinder on
    edited April 2010
    SwissLion wrote: »
    The finer points of renaissance politics are having me publicly shamed, exiled to my villa in the countryside, and expertly and systematically forgotten about.

It is much safer to be feared than loved.

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2010
    Yeah Machiavelli is a pretty big douche.

Actually reading about the guy he wrote that book for just this afternoon!

SwissLion on
    ImWcN1I.png?3
  • Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    goddamnit

i have a 79.3 in biology

i thought with the extra credit i would've had four points added to my final grade, but alas, only three points were to be added.

which is a real kick in the dick because now i need to waste time studying for this fucking class instead of studying for more important classes, just so that i can make a B

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Yeah I hate being down on points towards the end of a class, because that's usually the time I have lost all interest in the subject.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    I just set a record for least amount of time wasted on an expert-level game of minesweeper when I should be outlining: 135 seconds

it's preparing you for your legal career, which, if my internship has taught me anything, is mostly about competitively playing brick breaker on a blackberry while waiting for your case to be called

satansfingers on
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Hey Bongi! Philosophy Major High-Five!!! Woo!

Where's you area of specialty, if you've chosen one in regards to your studies?

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I don't know if it is a job, but I'd like to design outfits for strippers and burlesque performers and vegas showgirls.

I have this image in my head, of a one-piece with a plunging neckline and lovely collar, snow leopard print . . . and made of sequins. So so fabulous.

I think I am a gay man trapped in a Muse's body.

most stripper outfits i've seen didn't need all that much designing

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • bongibongi regular
    edited April 2010
    Zonugal wrote: »

Language-Logic-Mathematics-Science

bongi on
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Cool. I'm doing my focus on Ethical and American Philosophy.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    edited April 2010
    Mysst wrote: »
    I don't know if it is a job, but I'd like to design outfits for strippers and burlesque performers and vegas showgirls.

I have this image in my head, of a one-piece with a plunging neckline and lovely collar, snow leopard print . . . and made of sequins. So so fabulous.

I think I am a gay man trapped in a Muse's body.

most stripper outfits i've seen didn't need all that much designing

It's like lace! The beauty is more about the holes than the materials.

I am uncomfortable with how much use I am getting out of this lace simile lately.

SwissLion on
    ImWcN1I.png?3
  • CalliusCallius Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    oh god... just one more hour until my orientation, then it's only two more hours until I can sleep.

Just three... just three... I've slept 5 hours in t he last whatever it's been since tuesday morning

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • bongibongi regular
    edited April 2010

Cool. I'm doing my focus on Ethical and American Philosophy.

pragmatism, boooo

it's a double joke, because i am a non-cognitivist and a realist!!!

bongi on
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    i have 75 minutes of class left ever as an undergraduate student and for the immediate future

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • CalliusCallius Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    pragmatism, boooo

I'm a dude.

I gots a wiener

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • bongibongi regular
    edited April 2010
    Callius wrote: »
    pragmatism, boooo

I'm a dude.

I gots a wiener

but do you really have a wiener

or do you just find it useful to believe that you have a wiener???

bongi on
This discussion has been closed.