As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Need help from website creating techies (SOLVED)

ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
edited April 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm interested in learning how to build websites. I worked with HTML a little bit when I was back in college but I am, for all intents and purposes, a complete noob to this type of thing.

What are the cheapest programs that I can purchase? I know of Dreamweaver, but I'm relatively sure I don't need anything that expensive nor that extensive since I'm so new to everything.

Also, what are the best websites/books to start with that will help me learn the basics and work from the ground up? The "For Dummies" series comes to mind, but I don't know enough about such things to know anything past that.

Help me, Advice Forum. You're my only hope.

PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
ChillyWilly on

• mrcheesypantsmrcheesypants Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm assuming you're only interested in front end development correct?

First of all, using dreamweaver is kinda looked down upon in the web dev world. It's probably best that you use a text editor with syntax highlighting and maybe code folding. I don't really work in a windows environment, and I haven't coded HTML/CSS in it, but Notepad++ is a decent programmer's editor. I'm sure others will give you more info on editors.

For tutorials, www.w3schools.com is the standard for learning HTML/CSS. Just remember that you don't have to memorize every single attribute, or html tag.

Another thing to keep in mind is that a lot of sites these days implement a CMS such as wordpress. You'll still need to know HTML/CSS to customize the look (and look at php code), but there are tons of templates to start modifying.

If you want some fancy-smancy stuff, you'll need to use javascript. Jquery makes it dead simple to use and you can download and install plugins.

And if you HAVE to use a WYSIWYG editor, Nvu is free.

Hope that helps.

mrcheesypants on
    Diamond Code: 2706 8089 2710
    Oh god. When I was younger, me and my friends wanted to burn the Harry Potter books.

Then I moved to Georgia.
  • SipexSipex Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'd also suggest PHP if your server supports it (you'll have to ask) and if you want to get into extensive back work.

Also, MySQL if you want a free, effective database.

Sipex on
  • MoSiAcMoSiAc Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I came in here to basically say everything mrcheesypants said. He has given good and useful advice on the subject you have asked about.

MoSiAc on
    Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics
  • HypatiaHypatia Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    If you're looking for a decent editor to write html/css/php/etc in, Editplus is pretty good (and free) for PC, Textpad is pretty nice for Mac, I can't recommend for linux/unix since in that case I just use vim

Hypatia on
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    htmldog.com is a succinct and accurate resource for learning HTML and CSS from the ground up.

Jasconius on
  • ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Well...that's certainly enough information to get me started. :lol:

Thanks a ton, forum bros.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
This discussion has been closed.