As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[GW2]We're all waiting very, very patiently for class reveals. *twitch*

• DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    No, I always generally soloed, and like I said it's been over a year, if not two years since I last played, and there have been many games in between then and now. Actually, I remember at least 3 character's first names, just not their last names.

Dissociater on
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Man, reinstalling after a 3 year break. Why don't they let you just stream the opening area anymore? it's forcing me to do a full .dat download just to start playing.

-Loki- on
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Enig wrote: »
    grrarg wrote: »
    The Steam download of the GW Trilogy is only 2.2gb. Is that everything or will more be streamed? If so, is there any way to stream everything at once overnight instead of having to stop and download all the time?

That is not the whole game.

To force everything you add " -image " to the command line of the application shortcut. See: http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Command_line_arguments#-image

Just a heads-up for those with the Steam version.

To get this to work, right click on the game in your Library, click Properties, click Set Launch Options, then put "-image" no quotes.

Renzo on
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Also take the -image tag off after you've done it once. Otherwise every time you boot up, it'll do the download.

-Loki- on
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I really liked the secondary professions system, it fit well in Guild Wars 1. I don't feel, however, that it would fit well in Guild Wars 2, which is why I'm also fine with them abolishing it this time around.

I like that they're trying something new this time around. weapon based skills is a nice way to get some variety mixed in with racial choice. It's now three skill pools, I like that. I'm fine with only one of them being a choice.

It makes sense to me that weapons will do different things based on what I know how to do with them. It was always a little weird that I just up and changed my vocation and training whenever I felt like it.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    edited April 2010
    All of the new things they've talked about is streamlining, and from a PvP perspective, the best thing possible. Especially removing secondary professions. They won't have to worry about, for example, some skill designed to be junk to fill a skill tree interacting with some profession it's not designed to be combined with and breaking the PvP metagame for weeks.

-Loki- on
    edited April 2010
    -Loki- wrote: »
    All of the new things they've talked about is streamlining, and from a PvP perspective, the best thing possible. Especially removing secondary professions. They won't have to worry about, for example, some skill designed to be junk to fill a skill tree interacting with some profession it's not designed to be combined with and breaking the PvP metagame for weeks.

It also makes adding new classes a lot easier because now they don't have to balance the skills on how they synergize with x number of other pools. They only have to balance on the normal stuff you have to balance for in a pvp environment DPS/HPS/Time to Kill.

It turned into a nightmare for them as they kept coming up with cool class ideas and class skills that they had to change because it broke some class combination somewhere and made them way too powerful.

Seidkona on
  • YannYann Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Entaru wrote: »

It also makes adding new classes a lot easier because now they don't have to balance the skills on how they synergize with x number of other pools. They only have to balance on the normal stuff you have to balance for in a pvp environment DPS/HPS/Time to Kill.

It turned into a nightmare for them as they kept coming up with cool class ideas and class skills that they had to change because it broke some class combination somewhere and made them way too powerful.

Well, they did balance that by tying those skills to the main stat of a class. Meaning, other classes could use them, but they would suck.

Yann on
    edited April 2010
    Yann wrote: »

Well, they did balance that by tying those skills to the main stat of a class. Meaning, other classes could use them, but they would suck.

In my opinion that didn't work out too well. Those skills may have been cut off but things in other trees were still major problems that often got nerfed or changed.

Seidkona on
  • EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    While we wait for info on the Event System. Check out the ladies..
    024_large.jpg
    581_large.jpg
    906_realsize.jpg

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    024_large.jpg
    581_large.jpg
    906_realsize.jpg

My GF is going to love this game. She adores playing around with character models. I'm seeing a level of customization hinted at here that I haven't seen since Aion.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
    edited April 2010
    New wallpaper, Norn elementalist: http://www.guildwars2.com/en/media/wallpapers/

ElementalistMaleWallpaper_800x600.jpg

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    :P

I'm sticking to my Charr one but that is one awesome piece of art.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • ForumiteForumite Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    Did they release any new info today?

Forumite on
    33tp6w6.gif
    edited April 2010
    Forumite wrote: »
    Did they release any new info today?

Nothing today, but expect info on the Event System and possibly a class reveal sometime soon, like in the next few weeks.

I think from here on out, we can expect at least a few updates on everything from professions to combat, gameplay, PvP, and who knows what else, every few months. They want to build hype, (and the good kind at that, the kind of hype that uses facts and not flash) simultaneously as they polish the hell out of this game.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
    edited April 2010
    This might be a good link to simplify the OP: http://www.arena.net/blog/link-roundup-gw2-combat-and-elementalist

Has all the links for interviews and such over the past couple of days.

Also, some excellent news..
    In the weeks ahead, we’ll be releasing more information and unveiling those shadowy figures on Guild Wars 2.com. The Elementalist was just the tip of the proverbial MMO iceberg!

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    edited April 2010
    This might be a good link to simplify the OP: http://www.arena.net/blog/link-roundup-gw2-combat-and-elementalist

Has all the links for interviews and such over the past couple of days.

Also, some excellent news..
    In the weeks ahead, we’ll be releasing more information and unveiling those shadowy figures on Guild Wars 2.com. The Elementalist was just the tip of the proverbial MMO iceberg!

I'll get that link in the OP.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    024_large.jpg
    581_large.jpg
    906_realsize.jpg

Just curious, where'd you find those at?

EDIT: Nevermind, found it!

Geod on
  • NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Those female models are unusually decent for an MMO, and I can't detect any anime-ness or silly cartoonish (swtor) features in there. This is good

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • AthaedosAthaedos Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    If anyone wants to join a run through of Nightfall, we'll be playing again tonight at 7PM PST. We're at The Kodash Bazaar, just after the solo prince convincing mission.

Athaedos on
    edited May 2010
    Yann wrote: »

In my opinion that didn't work out too well. Those skills may have been cut off but things in other trees were still major problems that often got nerfed or changed.

The problem is, people just used the skills in the other 3 attribute lines, or the skills tied to the main attribute were powerful enough with no points in it. IIRC, teleporting hammer warriors. With no points in the attribute, they would teleport from the front line to the enemies backline, spike down a monk, and get teleported back when the skill wears off with ease.

-Loki- on
    edited May 2010
    Well he's not as easy on the eyes as the female character models I posted earlier, but still another nice visual of GW2 design. Some warrior guy..
    084_realsize.jpg

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Well he's not as easy on the eyes as the female character models I posted earlier, but still another nice visual of GW2 design. Some warrior guy..
    084_realsize.jpg

Like a spartan piece of sweet sweet candy

candy with abs

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • AthaedosAthaedos Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    At least in guild wars the men get skimpy armor too. :winky:

Athaedos on
  • PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Athaedos wrote: »
    At least in guild wars the men get skimpy armor too. :winky:

Dammit, I wish I could post this whole comic, but the Secret Lives of Mobs website is down :x

21845.jpg

Edit: Found a copy of it!
    chainmail.jpg

Peccavi on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Ahahahahaha, oh god

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Who-PsydWho-Psyd Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    That Comic did not end in any way I could have imagined or would want to really o_O

Who-Psyd on
    edited May 2010
    There was a podcast interview yesterday. The transcript is here: http://www.tentonhammer.com/podcasts/live/5/transcript1

Main highlights:
    Eric Flannum addresses the new skill system, particularly concerns about it limiting creativity. Says it will be easier to maintain balance, will act as a safety net for new players, but allows for a lot of flexibility at the higher end of play. Low end builds should always at least be functional.

He also described a scenario where Izzy leapt behind someone and pushed them off a cliff with a skill called 'Stomp', illustrating how fast paced and interesting the combat is. There's still a lot of strategy for players to learn, despite the supposedly simplified system.

Hammers home the point by saying there are literally millions of possible elementalist builds in GW2.

Moves on to classes. Mentions that the warrior class has already been confirmed in other interviews, but may have some changes/upgrades. They want the same reaction that the Elementalist received when it was unveiled.

Moves on again to talking about the non-traditional tank system in Guild Wars, where it's not limited to heavily armored classes or even encouraged as a strategy at all. "Holy Trinity" builds were not a feature of GW1, and will not be a feature of GW2.

Chris Lye fields some questions about marketing, says they are ready to 'take the gloves off'. If you're going to conventions this summer they might have something for you... very cryptic.

I think the most important bit is the "millions of builds". That means there are still a large number of skills possible for the second five slots on our skill bar.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Well, having cycled through a number of other MMO's, including WoW, looking for a replacement for GW1, it looks like GW2 will be said replacement in the end, much like I anticipated.

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
  • sidhaethesidhaethe Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm up for a 7pm PST Nightfall run tonight if the usual suspects are.

sidhaethe on
    edited May 2010
    Sad No New GW2 News Panda is sad. WTB a reveal or a video or... dare I ask, a beta/retail release date.

I haven't followed very many games lately over long periods of time, but I just know I'm going claw my eyes out over this. This is literally my personal WoW killer.

Come on Arena.Net!

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
    edited May 2010
    I hate the teaser shit. I'm ok with you telling me, once a week or once everyother week. but I don't like this random day stuff too much.

I just want to know the classes so I can start planning out what I want to make.

Seidkona on
    edited May 2010
    I hate the teaser shit. I'm ok with you telling me, once a week or once everyother week. but I don't like this random day stuff too much.

I just want to know the classes so I can start planning out what I want to make.

Like they said, next few weeks and months we can expect a lot of info from them, including probably some stuff at E3. Just need to be patient.

*twitch*

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
    edited May 2010
    Corehealer wrote: »

Like they said, next few weeks and months we can expect a lot of info from them, including probably some stuff at E3. Just need to be patient.

*twitch*

It's hard, I have no interest in elementalists, old or new.

Seidkona on
  • KazakaKazaka Asleep Counting SheepRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010

*twitch*

Same here, never could get those li'l bastards to work

I always was too damned squishy

Kazaka on
    edited May 2010
    Kazaka wrote: »

*twitch*

Same here, never could get those li'l bastards to work

I always was too damned squishy

I have faith that ArenaNet will figure out a unique way to get Elementalists from being too squishy.

Earth Attunement will probably confer defensive buffs as the Air/Fire attunements do in terms of damage and Water attunement does in terms of healing. And racial abilities, such as the Asura + Golem racial, might aid race specific elementalists. The amount of customization of skills will probably allow for a pretty hardy Elementalist, not too mention they aren't really using the Holy Trinity Class system, so no defined tanks will be present.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    My one big thing I'd like to see changed in GW2 is the way self buffs work. I dislike how short self buffs and prep-type abilities are. They require you to reapply them before every battle, and sometimes during battle, which isn't really a lot of fun. I'm not sure how I'd fix this, but maybe if buffs lasted between 3-5 minutes, instead of 5-30 seconds it would make the game flow better.

Dissociater on
    edited May 2010
    That's more to do with PvP balance. You'd need a way to remove a preparation if you're going to give them a longer duration (and 3-5 minutes? Nothing lasts that long, even buffs applied by another player). And if they add a way to remove preparations, you can bet they'll be spammed against you in high level areas, and you'll be reapplying them more than you do now. Changing this would require PvP/PvE variants of skills again, and I really hope we don't see that.

And the damage you already get out of a preparation is pretty nasty. Using Apply Poison with a poisonous string, you get some pretty nasty damage over time that can be applied to pretty much every enemy in an area before it wears off.

-Loki- on
  • ParadisoParadiso Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So if they're touting the millions of combinations possible, won't the racial skill lists have to be just as robust as the profession lists?

Paradiso on
    edited May 2010
    Well the racial skills let you have types of synergy or utility that wouldn't normally be available to your profession. The cost of this flexibility is that they are not as powerful as a profession-based version of the skill. I suspect that racial elites will be on par with profession-based elites though.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
This discussion has been closed.