As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

HF radio frequencies

Limp mooseLimp moose Registered User regular
edited May 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
This is sort of a strange request. Can anyone point out or post a link to where I can find some good HF radio stations/freqs. I am looking for stuff that can be found world wide (like in the middle of the ocean.) Maybe BBC, ESPN whatever.

Looking specifically for freqs from 2 to 29.9999 MHz

Limp moose on

• Options
    PirateJonPirateJon Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    PirateJon on
    all perfectionists are mediocre in their own eyes
  • Options
    strebaliciousstrebalicious Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Quit trying to use the URTs/HFRG for illegal crap!
    At least, I'm just guessing that you are military. 98% of the civilian stuff is VHF, and the people that do use HF is for the "OMG, I can pick up signals from 3000 miles away!"

We did pick up one of the time thingies once, though.

strebalicious on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Try downloading PDF manuals for ham radio gear, for anything with wideband receive that includes HF. Often times as a service to their customers, radio manufacturers will include a list of HF broadcast stations you can listen to. I know there's a list in the back of the manual for my Yaesu VX-8R.

Also, forget "OMG I can pick up" -- become a ham and it becomes "OMG I can transmit signals that other people can pick up from 3000 miles away!" I mean, less impressive now that we have teh tubes and dumptrucks and whatnot, but from a pure "ZOMG I am charging and discharging my planet's atmosphere like a giant capacitor" standpoint it's decent.

Edit: also I am fascinated by the "Quit trying to use the URTs/HFRG for illegal crap!" comment. What are URTs and HFRG and what are the sorts of things that people should not do with them?

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Options
    wallakawallaka Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    mspencer wrote: »

Edit: also I am fascinated by the "Quit trying to use the URTs/HFRG for illegal crap!" comment. What are URTs and HFRG and what are the sorts of things that people should not do with them?

Military radios. I guess it could be fraud, waste, and abuse or possibly OPSEC.

wallaka on
  • Options
    mosssnackmosssnack Yeah right, man, Bishop should go! Good idea!Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    As a raidioman on a sub, I'd like to think I can tell you there isn't a whole lot you can listen to via HF that's commercial. You'll bump into timetick and some military bases transmitting some pretty routine stuff. Anything you're not supposed to hear will be cypher'd or would require certain codebooks to understand. Can't really think of anything illegal other than constantly keying on a busy freq, dunno what kind of trouble that could get someone into.

Let me know if you find something good, though. Maybe I haven't been searching hard enough

mosssnack on
    XBL: mosssnack12
    bnet: moss*1454
  • Options
    Limp mooseLimp moose Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    wallaka wrote: »

LAWL monitoring a radio station is not FWA. transmitting / jamming is another issue entirely. But actually I was looking for a way to pick up news off the ship using a hand held radio/attena while out at sea. Having the gear and know how without the right freqs was the problem. I think i found what I was looking for feel free to lock.

Thanks for the links!

Limp moose on
  • Options
    strebaliciousstrebalicious Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Limp moose wrote: »
    wallaka wrote: »

LAWL monitoring a radio station is not FWA. transmitting / jamming is another issue entirely. But actually I was looking for a way to pick up news off the ship using a hand held radio/attena while out at sea. Having the gear and know how without the right freqs was the problem. I think i found what I was looking for feel free to lock.

Thanks for the links!

I was joking, but I was still slightly drunk and probably didn't make that clear enough, I guess.

strebalicious on
    camo_sig2.png