As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sound from Laptop to TV

RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
Occasionally what I'll do is stream videos from my laptop to my TV so that the prewife and I can lay in bed and watch movies or whatever. I am use the DVI plug for my external monitor into my TV. But the sound is still coming from the laptop, which is pretty subpar. So I'm wondering what's the best thing to do to get sound to play through my TV.

Mainly looking for something simple, so external would be best. Something to plug into a USB port and convert it to say audio cables.

steam_sig.png
Ryadic on

• Options
    sYnistersYnister Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    if you're plugging through DVI, theres probably a Line In jack above or below it that ties in with that input. if there is, you can use this:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021802&p_id=644&seq=1&format=2

plug one end in the headphone jack of the laptop and the other end in the line in of the TV

sYnister on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Roland: That'll probably work. Thanks. Didn't know what to look for, so I'll check that out.

sYn: I don't think I have that type of input for my TV. I looked for it, but I'll double check. That type of cable came to mind first, so I looked for that.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Ryadic wrote: »
    Roland: That'll probably work. Thanks. Didn't know what to look for, so I'll check that out.

sYn: I don't think I have that type of input for my TV. I looked for it, but I'll double check. That type of cable came to mind first, so I looked for that.
    on my tv the 3.5mm line in is directly next to the VGA input

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I do the same thing; I just have a set of external speakers that I plug into the laptop. I think the speakers are better than my TV speakers anyway.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    theclamtheclam Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    sYnister wrote: »
    if you're plugging through DVI, theres probably a Line In jack above or below it that ties in with that input. if there is, you can use this:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021802&p_id=644&seq=1&format=2

plug one end in the headphone jack of the laptop and the other end in the line in of the TV

If you don't have this plug on your TV, you'll almost definitely have this one:
    http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021804&p_id=665&seq=1&format=2

theclam on
    rez_guy.png
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I would buy from Monoprice over Amazon despite the one penny thing. Monoprice has great customer service and shockingly good quality and I've read many more instance of a shit cable coming off of Amazon Marketplace than from Monoprice (and if it happens Monoprice will actually help).

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    i just got this cable from monoprice based on a rec from someone here

haven't tested it yet but it shoudl work out well i think. the 3.5mm jack is has much more length than the VGA part so if the jacks aren't directly next to each other it will still work

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I ended up getting the cable sYn suggested. I found it at Radioshack for 2.50. It's just BARELY long enough. If only the jack was on the other side of my laptop.

Thanks everyone.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png