As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

We got both kinds

• Options
    KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    jml.. this has been covered extensively already. Im actually starting to believe there are people who cant get better at things with practice. Prove me wrong ig..

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    iglidante wrote: »
    You know what? I just don't think I'm capable of making you guys laugh. Or even be amused. You seem to just plain hate what I'm doing.

Accurate, but not unfixable.

By, say, taking any of the advice in the thread.

...Any of it.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    Agent ColemanAgent Coleman Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    If there was an atomic explosion, shouldn't the ground be all burnt up and maybe the odd mangled corpse here and there?

Agent Coleman on
  • Options
    PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Nukes are known for their ability to promote fast growing and healthy lawns.

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Guys.

You're complaining about the fly instead of the steaming turd.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    JLM-AWPJLM-AWP Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    jml.. this has been covered extensively already.

So...why haven't you done any of it?

JLM-AWP on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Guys.

Well, considering the steaming turd has been smelt for awhile now with nothing happening, I wouldn't mind killing a fly here or there.

Agent Coleman on
  • Options
    Proven MortalProven Mortal Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The handwritten comic you did had personality and was interesting to look at (but still not funny and with a long way to go.) These other ones are devoid of any personality and just looks like its copypasted.

Proven Mortal on
    Proven+Mortal.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Guys.

Well, considering the steaming turd has been smelt for awhile now with nothing happening, I wouldn't mind killing a fly here or there.

You still have a steaming turd though.

Destined to attract more flies.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    iglidanteiglidante Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The destruction of Stinky Man using the power of Country Music reversed the destruction of the world in strip #100 - so yes, it was a healing explosion. And yes, I realize you probably think I'm an idiot.

iglidante on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Ah, okay, yeah I didn't read the previous comics so I didn't realize that, my bad.

Agent Coleman on
  • Options
    worstcaseworstcase Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    This thread has pages upon pages of advice.
    I find it strange that you keep on getting the same response over and over and over and oveerr again but you have yet to take annnny advice.

ANY

...at all

worstcase on
  • Options
    DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, why hasn't this thread been locked yet?

It's clear that iglidante has no interest in improving.

DeeLock on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Look, I'm trying to improve things without listening to the "completely abandon this premise" comments.

iglidante on
  • Options
    ParadiseParadise Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Iglidante, you almost seem like a conceptual artist.

Also, why don't you want to "completely abandon this premise"? It's just a comic, and at this point it seems like it's holding you back. You're letting it hold you back. You can work on more than one project you know.

Paradise on
  • Options
    DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Look, I'm trying to improve things without listening to the "completely abandon this premise" comments.

Oh really?

Is that why you haven't made any changes to your comic, including the visuals (which is basically clip art and look like shit), the writing (which is piss poor and unfuny) or your characters (which aren't relateable and are boring).

You suck and your webcomic sucks.

DeeLock on
  • Options
    JLM-AWPJLM-AWP Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    DeeLock wrote: »

Oh really?

Is that why you haven't made any changes to your comic, including the visuals (which is basically clip art and look like shit), the writing (which is piss poor and unfuny) or your characters (which aren't relateable and are boring).

I knew this would be a good Friday.

JLM-AWP on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Iglidante, do I have your permission to edit one of your existing comics to make a guest comic?

Paradise on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Ig, I believe we've said it before: If you don't want to abandon this concept, make another comic that is different and would allow you to experiment.

Most webcomics have a period where they constantly try new things to see what actually resonates with other people instead of what they think is good.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2010

At this point the lesson you would learn by letting go even a little bit is far greater than whatever favor you think you're doing yourself by sticking with this so rigidly. That being said, I don't really understand what you stand to gain from continuing this pattern of not changing anything, and then getting mad at the general forum because we wont give you advice you want to hear. I mean, can you list off hand the improvements you think you've made/listened to over the course of the thread?

There isn't much of a difference between you and guy who wants to draw anime and refuses to learn anatomy because he doesn't understand that realism is relevant, or that it requires more than one life drawing session, or one book. They often interpret "learn to draw real people" as "abandon anime." but the advice is really "just drawing your own shit anime, you will always crawl instead of walk. If you want to walk, study other peoples styles, If you want to jog, challenge yourself with their style, study anatomy, draw a ton, if you want to run, hunker your ass down and learn all the information you possibly can and apply it to your art."

You have a very very narrow style in this comic, and you are going to crawl. If your okay and happy with that, we cant really stop you, we also cant really help you. Quit being delusional about the amount of advice you've actually taken from this thread, most of the changes were so slight in direction I barely can tell the difference between page one and now.

Iruka on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Iruka, pretty sure this has been a comic whore thread thinly veiled in a 'please crit me' thread the entire time. The excuses for bad writing and art, the 'just thought I'd share this even though it's the same shit as before' posts, the 'well see the thing is I don't really want to change anything but thanks so much for your post it was a really interesting thought' posts.

I just re-read the whole thread though, and it's given me and others an opportunity to come up with some pretty good zingers. So, uh, we got some laughs out the comic tangentially, at least?

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    DeeLock wrote: »

He makes good music though.

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    You guys are mean. This is just like when I posted my webcomic back in 2003.

rts on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    was it as shitty as this one?

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Paradise wrote: »

Iglidante, do I have your permission to edit one of your existing comics to make a guest comic?

I just made the fanart. I hope it's alright to post it here. Please?

Paradise on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Paradise: Sure, post the fanart - I'm curious now.

Napp: The trouble is, the jokes that consensus seems to be trying to push me towards aren't jokes I can actually write. I love Fletcher's comic, for example, but my brain does not produce Antics jokes.

Ken: Well, thanks about the music at least. Here, I'll post a song to make up for my indiscretions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vxR3hEEZyc

Desp: If this is supposed to be a whore thread, it's the least successful one I've ever seen. I'm not getting traffic from the AC. I only posted the latest strip because I thought some of you might find the country music joke funny. You didn't. Joke's on me.

Iruka: You can barely tell the difference between strip 1 and the later ones? I'm...I guess I'm just going to shut up for now.

iglidante on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Paradise: Sure, post the fanart - I'm curious now.

I hope you like it:

fanarts.jpg

Paradise on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    haha.. .

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Heh, fair enough. But honestly, my gut reaction was "how could a webcomic not be at least a bit self-indulgent?"

EDIT: I am preparing a rebuttal. It will be my Monday comic.

iglidante on
  • Options
    srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I haven't posted on this forum in several months, and the content of this thread hasn't changed since then. I'm really confused as to why people bother responding to this.

Paradise's fan comic is the best thing that has been done with this content. That was actually absurd AND making a commentary. Did you know that absurd humor is usually aimed at making a commentary? Did you know that humor is usually aimed at making some kind of social commentary?

If you want examples of absurdity that don't make commentary, look at the guy that does Charlie the Unicorn. He's obviously doing something right with his millions and millions of page-hits. Probably being funny, though.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2010
    Iruka: You can barely tell the difference between strip 1 and the later ones? I'm...I guess I'm just going to shut up for now.

"barely" yes. I can see where you made small, cherry picked changes. That sentence is also very much besides the point in my post.

Iruka on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    EDIT: I am preparing a rebuttal. It will be my Monday comic.

Jesus christ.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    DR, I really wish I had a voice and a face to go with your words, because text alone just isn't cutting it for me here. I'm picturing the thug with the short hair from the first season of Flight of the Concords.

iglidante on
  • Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Those are New Zealanders you're thinking of.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Okay, here goes:

2010-05-03-to-the-fine-folks-in-the-a-c.jpg

iglidante on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Your poo needs more corn in it.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    QuestionMarkManQuestionMarkMan Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    what the hell

QuestionMarkMan on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Forbe! wrote: »
    Your poo needs more corn in it.

I try to chew thoroughly. Nutritional efficiency, you know.

iglidante on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, but artistically it needs more corn. Also, your anatomy of the maize gymnosperm is inaccurate, please use a reference next time.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Oh, you were actually being serious. Gotcha.

iglidante on