As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

svchost.exe memory leak...

SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
http://www.technibble.com/how-to-fix-svchost-using-100-cpu-memory-leak/

Is this legit? If so, can I apply the fix to Vista 64 bit? I am pretty sure I have the problem, since there is a svchost.exe that is up to 170k.

The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
SkyCaptain on

• Options
    DedianDedian Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    170k? or is that 170M?

Plus, page says right there: Windows XP only.

Dedian on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Durr, I'm dumb. Thanks. And it is 170k K actually... so, 170,000 K.

SkyCaptain on
  • Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    If you have a rogue service eating memory and want to find it, I would recommend using Process Explorer. In fact I would recommend having it installed at all times. Anyways, it will give you extreme amounts of detail about what's currently running on your system, and will detail what processes a specific svchost.exe instance is hosting. I don't think it can drill down and tell you exactly how much memory each service is using (thought I might be wrong), but it will narrow it down to a single group of services, which should give you a good starting point.

Edit: a good workaround for splitting each of the services in question onto their own svchost.exe instance can be found here.

LuvTheMonkey on
    Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I did some googling and turned off SuperFetch. It loads frequently used programs into memory, attempting to predict that you'll be using it soon. I'll try out the Process Explorer tomorrow.

SkyCaptain on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Things in memory are faster than things on disk. That's what SuperFetch is doing, and in general it's good to leave it running... though, I think 7 does it better than Vista, but I don't remember where I read that :)

Dedian on
  • Options
    General_WinGeneral_Win Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    SuperFetch is awesome and has nothing to do with svchost.

General_Win on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Err... Superfetch runs as a service under SVCHOST...

Dedian on
  • Options
    finalflight89finalflight89 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Turning off Superfetch is bound to make your computer slower.

finalflight89 on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    The problem with SuperFetch is that it's taking up memory resources with programs I might not even run for days. It's guessing what programs I might run and loads them into memory. My most frequently used programs are often video games that are huge. The only slowness I've noticed is when I first open a program, it may take an additional 20-30 seconds to open. Not a huge deal imo to ensure that the only programs that are in memory are those that I am using.

SkyCaptain on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Unused memory is wasted memory. If your system ends up needing more memory, it'll dump SuperFetched stuff you aren't using and fill the space with stuff you are.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Having Superfetch on is a billion times more efficient than having it off. You get no benefit from an empty memory other than looking at the Task Manager monitor and feeling good.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Dedian wrote: »
    Err... Superfetch runs as a service under SVCHOST...

THIS is news.

General_Win on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    What? Svchost is the host process for running services.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Svchost

SuperFetch is a service, whose memory usage will show up as svchost.exe

Dedian on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    It's still awesome though

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Unused memory is wasted memory. If your system ends up needing more memory, it'll dump SuperFetched stuff you aren't using and fill the space with stuff you are.

I use programs that take up all the memory anyway and it has to dump the superfetch'd stuff before it can load and open the program I'm using.

SkyCaptain on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    SkyCaptain wrote: »

I use programs that take up all the memory anyway and it has to dump the superfetch'd stuff before it can load and open the program I'm using.

I guess you're agreeing with Tofy then?

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Why let SuperFetch load programs that will have to get dumped anyway to make room for the programs I do use?

SkyCaptain on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    If you use those programs often enough, it's probably going to Superfetch those ones.

finalflight89 on
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    This thread makes me want Superfetch.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Windows 7 does a lot more cooler things than Superfetch. :P

finalflight89 on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Why let SuperFetch load programs that will have to get dumped anyway to make room for the programs I do use?

It doesn't load random programs into memory, it learns what you use the most and preloads it. If you're constantly using firefox, well its going to prefetch that. If you stop using firefox and switch to chrome, well it will stop prefetching firefox and start prefetching chrome.

It also has no performance hit AT all. So if you're thinking that it is causing you problems, then your problems lie elsewhere.

General_Win on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    Hel975Hel975 Registered User new member
    edited May 2010
    There is another utility that shows processes loaded using scvhost.exe http://www.neuber.com/free/svchost-analyzer/index.html

By the way, was your problem solve by shutting down SuperFetch?

Hel975 on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Yes, it was. I don't have one svchost.exe leeching memory over time and never letting it go. I will probably turn SuperFetch back on and use one of the tools linked to find out which service that uses svchost was the one creating the memory leak and disable that one instead.

SkyCaptain on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I bet ya a silly goose it was SuperFetch

Dedian on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Then it wasn't working right, someone was out of whack

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

That is trivial.

Azio on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Azio wrote: »

That is trivial.

Also, how do you know the superfetched stuff isn't the programs you use? Because that's what superfetch does.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.