As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Sumatra PDF

PostPost Registered User regular
Hey,

I was reading the security thread and I was reading how Adobe Flash and Adobe Reader are huge security risks. I was thinking of getting another PDF reader instead.

Is Sumatra PDF more secure then ADOBE PDF? Is this the recommended PDF viewer? I also heard of Foxit but apparently that has taken a downturn lately?

Opinions?

Post on

• FodderFodder Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Sumatra is basically what foxit was before it turned terrible. It's really lightweight and a bit feature-bare compared to the other two, but I definitely prefer it. I can't really speak to its safety, but I've not really ever had an issue with a pdf.

Fodder on
    steam_sig.png
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Ehh Foxit's not horrible as far as I'm concerned. Launches instantly, tabbed document viewing, what else do you need?

TychoCelchuuu on
  • ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, Foxit's pretty good.

Impersonator on
  • Rigor MortisRigor Mortis Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I prefer Sumatra by a long shot. Foxit is tolerable. Adobe is binary schiesse.

Rigor Mortis on
  • Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    As long as it's not a flaw in the pdf spec most other programs will be more secure than Adobe Reader.

I use Foxit.

Dark Shroud on
  • RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I used Foxit until it continued to offer me updates even after I told it not to. Randomly browsing a pdf and bam! Parts of Foxit want to update. Much gnashing of teeth, followed by uninstalling Foxit and installing Sumatra.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Another free Adobe alternative is PDF-XChange Viewer.

http://www.docu-track.com/product/pdf-xchange-viewer

Dark Shroud on
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    FOXIT SOLD OUT MAN
    they were much cooler before they signed with a major

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Ehh Foxit's not horrible as far as I'm concerned. Launches instantly, tabbed document viewing, what else do you need?

not to be asked to install toolbars on installation and update

it just gives it a crapware vibe

Senjutsu on
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I use Sumatra as opposed to Acrobat because for some reason Adobe thinks it's entitled to 400MB of hard disk space and a twenty second startup time just to read fucking .pdfs

Than there is Sumatra, which starts up instantly and can fit on a floppy disc.

SmokeStacks on
  • SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    my major criticism of sumatra is that the icon and site color scheme are something only an open source programmer could love

red on bright yellow is just eye-bleeding

Senjutsu on