As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Gulf Coast Oil]: Spill, Baby Spill. Volunteer Info at the top of OP

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So I just got back from a gig at the beach.

I feel like I just played a fucking wake.

Drake on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Perpetual wrote: »
    If anything this definitely proves how vulnerable offshore drilling platforms are to terrorist attack.

How does it prove that exactly?

If a bunch of dudes manage to blow off the side of a Navy ship ten years ago what's to prevent the same thing happening to an offshore oil platform? That'd be a good way to fuck up the enviroment and cripple the US economy in one fell swoop.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    PerpetualPerpetual Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Perpetual wrote: »
    If anything this definitely proves how vulnerable offshore drilling platforms are to terrorist attack.

How does it prove that exactly?

If a bunch of dudes manage to blow off the side of a Navy ship ten years ago what's to prevent the same thing happening to an offshore oil platform? That'd be a good way to fuck up the enviroment and cripple the US economy in one fell swoop.

Because an oil platform is gigantic in comparison to a ship, and is built quite differently.

Perpetual on
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Why would you make it your goal to cripple the US and destroy the environment? Who in the world would make destruction of the environment a noble goal?

Other than the republicans, I mean.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Sheep wrote: »
    MKR wrote: »
    I should be clear: Limbaugh actually said that today.

Wait.

Limbaugh said offshore drilling is a bad idea because of terrorism?

No he said that environmental terrorists blew up the rig to cause this spill to make the introduction of the climate bill more politically viable.

Oh.

That's crazy. He must have missed that report where it was a fault in the equipment that Haliburton was using to concrete the pipes down.

I don't think the investigation has even started yet.

They have a good idea as to what the cause was. Not 100%. So far they think it had somethind to do with the concrete not hardening quick enough and allowing gas to build up and explode.

Pretty sure it was the Cloverfield monster waking up.

I think it was Cthulhu emerging from R'lyeh in preperation for his upcoming 2012 "Cthulhu/Palin" presidential campaign. I hear they plan to run on a campaign of Absolute despair, utter hopelessness, the end of humanity, eternal blackness, and Cthulhu has some ideas as well.

override367 on
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Why would you make it your goal to cripple the US and destroy the environment? Who in the world would make destruction of the environment a noble goal?

Other than the republicans, I mean.

Saddam did it to Kuwait. So its not outside the realm of possibilities.

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    MKR wrote: »
    I should be clear: Limbaugh actually said that today.

Wait.

Limbaugh said offshore drilling is a bad idea because of terrorism?

No he said that environmental terrorists blew up the rig to cause this spill to make the introduction of the climate bill more politically viable.

Oh.

That's crazy. He must have missed that report where it was a fault in the equipment that Haliburton was using to concrete the pipes down.

I don't think the investigation has even started yet.

They have a good idea as to what the cause was. Not 100%. So far they think it had somethind to do with the concrete not hardening quick enough and allowing gas to build up and explode.

Pretty sure it was the Cloverfield monster waking up.

I think it was Cthulhu emerging from R'lyeh in preperation for his upcoming 2012 "Cthulhu/Palin" presidential campaign. I hear they plan to run on a campaign of Absolute despair, utter hopelessness, the end of humanity, eternal blackness, and Cthulhu has some ideas as well.

I know what we need to stop the spill!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWT07iRvI9M

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    The one thing I'm not seeing anywhere is the affect severe weather will have. Tropical storms and hurricanes create what is known as a storm surge. It's basically a big bubble of water, pulled up by the massive low pressure. If one of these storms passes over the spill, which isn't unlikely in my estimation, the surge will push the spill in front of it. Not only that but a storm of this nature will bring clean up operations to a halt until the storm passes. This spill probably couldn't have happened at a worse time.

Drake on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Drake wrote: »
    The one thing I'm not seeing anywhere is the affect severe weather will have. Tropical storms and hurricanes create what is known as a storm surge. It's basically a big bubble of water, pulled up by the massive low pressure. If one of these storms passes over the spill, which isn't unlikely in my estimation, the surge will push the spill in front of it. Not only that but a storm of this nature will bring clean up operations to a halt until the storm passes. This spill probably couldn't have happened at a worse time.

All this considered, I might hop on a bus to aid in whatever cleanup that can be done on shore, since I currently have the time.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Henroid wrote: »

All this considered, I might hop on a bus to aid in whatever cleanup that can be done on shore, since I currently have the time.

Maybe we can have a PA Volunteer meet up if enough of us get involved in the clean up and we aren't too spread out across the coast. Getting together to play some DS games and stuff would probably be a great idea because this isn't going to be a walk in the park.

Drake on
  • Options
    ManchowderManchowder Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Am I the only one who thinks the solution is to torpedo the point on the sea floor where the oil is leaking from?

Manchowder on
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Manchowder wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thinks the solution is to torpedo the point on the sea floor where the oil is leaking from?

Considering that could open the hole wider, probably yes.

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Just nuke it from orbit already

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Heh, Haliburton was on the site pouring concrete to stabilize the pipes 20 hours before everything went wrong.

Barcardi on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Barcardi wrote: »
    Heh, Haliburton was on the site pouring concrete to stabilize the pipes 20 hours before everything went wrong.

Time until the whole things gets pinned on Iran...

TL DR on
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010

T-minus foxnews comments from last week.

Barcardi on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

I'm really surprised that I haven't seen more conspiracy theory surrounding this. Although my wife said that wasn't an uncommon statement from some of the people coming into her shop. "Somebody musta dunnit on purpose. Offshore drillin' is safe as babies."

Drake on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Apparently elements of the right are trying to frame this as Obama's Katrina now.o_O

SteevL on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    You mean they're saying it's a widespread disaster affecting millions that he's going to totally ignore by going on vacation and sticking his fingers in his ears?

override367 on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    SteevL wrote: »
    Apparently elements of the right are trying to frame this as Obama's Katrina now.o_O

Yea but that will just be more republican sided shills selling that to republicans as a talking point, yet another conspiracy theory for Glenn Beck. All sane people in the world will realize that this is 100% the fault of BP and those they contract out with. Obamas delayed response to this was a direct result of BP telling everyone that the spill was small to begin with. The response to Katrina was pretty offensive to all of America and resulted in just about everyone demanding new levies and safety measures for New Orleans (no idea if it was even implemented, but everyone wanted it). With this spill the right is still going "drill baby, drill!"

At least so far we dont have Biden down there looking at the damage to mansions and saying "we will clean this up, for our good friend" while ignoring the poor parts of the area.

edit: already over a dozen class action type lawsuits have been filed. They expect much more + BP has to cover the costs of everything.

Barcardi on
  • Options
    ManchowderManchowder Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

My understanding of the situation is that there is a pipe that connects the rig to the reservoir of oil beneath the ocean floor. If you were to blow up the pipe at the floor, then the oil would stop running up that pipe from beneath the earth.

http://www.odt.co.nz/news/world/103375/robot-sub-used-bid-stem-gulf-oil-spill

Based on my reading of the articles on the subject, the leak is not at the surface of the sea floor. A strike at the interface between pipe and sea floor may seal the leak. It is not like the oil is at the same earth depth as the ocean floor. The oil is deep down there.

Manchowder on
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

I'm really surprised that I haven't seen more conspiracy theory surrounding this. Although my wife said that wasn't an uncommon statement from some of the people coming into her shop. "Somebody musta dunnit on purpose. Offshore drillin' is safe as babies."

Rush Limbaugh in 3....2.....1....... Go!

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    So, that estimate that 5000 barrels of oil are leaking a day?

Looks like it actually may be 25,000 barrels of oil a day.

Times Online-
    THE Gulf of Mexico oil spill may be growing five times faster than previously estimated and is in danger of accelerating out of control, it was claimed yesterday.

Experts said satellite data indicated the oil was gushing from BP’s sunken Deepwater Horizon rig at 25,000 barrels a day. Previous estimates had put the leak at 5,000 barrels a day.

Drake on
  • Options
    YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Well, if it gets sucked into the gulf steam, we're fucked.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    narvinyenarvinye Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

My understanding of the situation is that there is a pipe that connects the rig to the reservoir of oil beneath the ocean floor. If you were to blow up the pipe at the floor, then the oil would stop running up that pipe from beneath the earth.

http://www.odt.co.nz/news/world/103375/robot-sub-used-bid-stem-gulf-oil-spill

Based on my reading of the articles on the subject, the leak is not at the surface of the sea floor. A strike at the interface between pipe and sea floor may seal the leak. It is not like the oil is at the same earth depth as the ocean floor. The oil is deep down there.

edit: Wow, first TOTP!

Or, far more likely, take a fairly well defined opeing, a pipe, and destroy it, piling rubble and mud on top which won't actually SEAL it, but create a large area that seeps/leaks oil which would be even more of a nightmare to seal/cap, if not outright impossible. Contrary to popular myth, modern missiles/torpedoes don't carry a blast capable of moving massive amounts of earth, not like you're thinking. They never have, really.

narvinye on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010

Times Online-
    THE Gulf of Mexico oil spill may be growing five times faster than previously estimated and is in danger of accelerating out of control, it was claimed yesterday.

Experts said satellite data indicated the oil was gushing from BP’s sunken Deepwater Horizon rig at 25,000 barrels a day. Previous estimates had put the leak at 5,000 barrels a day.

So 10% of the Exxon Valdez spill every day, with no apparent prospect of capping this soon? D:

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    25,000 barrels a day. I don't even.

So, has Mexico or any of the islands said anything about this? Seems like they're going to be taking a significant ecological and economic/tourism hit as well.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Corvus wrote: »

Times Online-

So 10% of the Exxon Valdez spill every day, with no apparent prospect of capping this soon? D:

The point that really should anger you is that this could have been avoided, if it wasn't for BP's greed.

Seriously, BP ranks up there with Monsanto, Halliburton, and Blackwater/Xe for the title of "Worst Company Ever".

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    There just isn't enough alcohol on the planet for me to fucking cope with this right now.

Drake on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    We're all going to die. Seriously.

At least the gulf coast gets to die first.

Drill baby drill.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Yep. Guess I'll see you motherfuckers in Valhalla.

Drake on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    SteevL wrote: »

Yea but that will just be more republican sided shills selling that to republicans as a talking point, yet another conspiracy theory for Glenn Beck. All sane people in the world will realize that this is 100% the fault of BP and those they contract out with. Obamas delayed response to this was a direct result of BP telling everyone that the spill was small to begin with. The response to Katrina was pretty offensive to all of America and resulted in just about everyone demanding new levies and safety measures for New Orleans (no idea if it was even implemented, but everyone wanted it). With this spill the right is still going "drill baby, drill!"

At least so far we dont have Biden down there looking at the damage to mansions and saying "we will clean this up, for our good friend" while ignoring the poor parts of the area.

edit: already over a dozen class action type lawsuits have been filed. They expect much more + BP has to cover the costs of everything.

Blame is like fertilizer - you have to spread it where it belongs. And yes, this includes our current president on this matter. He shouldn't have let the oil companies pressure him into not requiring remote shutoff valves on rigs.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I thought the point was they had remote shut off valves, and none of those systems are working at all?

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I thought the point was they had remote shut off valves, and none of those systems are working at all?

Apparently all of those systems were destroyed when the drilling platform exploded and sank.

edit: And they didn't even have the Remote Acoustic Shutoff Valve installed. No telling if that would have worked under these conditions, though.

Drake on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    wooooo

this is great, the oil dispersion stuff is toxic, and it is also an oil company tax break that they sell to themselves
    http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/us/2010/05/01/nr.ott.oil.debate.cnn

Barcardi on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Wow. That... that's a lot of oil. I understand the environmental concerns, but can I just say that we're losing a lot of a needed resource, and that it really sucks?

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    Wow. That... that's a lot of oil. I understand the environmental concerns, but can I just say that we're losing a lot of a needed resource, and that it really sucks?

We only need so much of it because of all of our stupid fucking wars and our goddamn over fucking bloated military.

Drake on
  • Options
    mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    And the fact that our country is built around cars and not around public transit and actually being within walking distance of anything.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    This is why I adored Portland, OR, in my short time there.

Henroid on
  • Options
    mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Not to take this too far off topic, but one of the things I realized is bizarre after living in the Bay Area for a year is the fact that I have to drive to get to pretty much any bar around here.

Whereas in the Bay Area I could walk or take transit to a huge number of watering holes.

I don't know the stats, but I'm imagining deaths from drunk driving are way way higher per capita here for just that reason.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.