As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Harry Dresden: Wizard, White Knight and Complete Dork.

MazzyxMazzyx Comedy GoldRegistered User regular
edited October 2014 in Debate and/or Discourse
Harry_Dresden_by_thegryph.jpg

Harry Dresden:Wizard Extrodinare

Skin Game is out! Please watch your spoilers carefully.

1.Who is Harry Dresden?

-Harry Dresden is the main character of a series of books called The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher. He is a wizard as he explains numerous times though out the books. He has his own scoobie gang kind of like Buffy. And he fights evil, sometimes has lunch with Farie Queens and usually ends up blowing at least one building up a book. All in all Harry is a bad ass.

2.Why should I read about this guy? Isn't this just a Harry Potter the adult ripoff?

-The Dresden Files are some of the most fun books you can find. The characters are witty, the conversations are fun and the action is packed through and through. The more of the books you read the more you get into it. Plus the guy is such a dork it will make you feel better about yourself time and again.

3.OK, this sounds like it might be more fun than poking my eyes with a hot stick or reading Twilight. Where do I start?

-The Dresden Files has turned into a pretty long series. It is 14 books with a 15th on the way. The stories in each book though are pretty self contained and unlike some other Fantasy series it actually has books coming out about once a year. So the wait period isn't 2 years to when the next ice age hits.

The Books in Order
StormFront_Hardcover_1-120.jpg
FoolMoon_Hardcover_3-120.jpg
GravePeril_Hardcover_4-120.jpg
SummerKnight_Paperback_12-120.jpg
DeathMasks_Paperback_13-120.jpg
BloodRites_Paperback_14-120.jpg
DeadBeat_Hardcover_5-120.jpg
ProvenGuilty_Hardcover_6-120.jpg
WhiteNight_Hardcover_7-120.jpg
SmallFavor_Hardcover_8-120.jpg
TurnCoat_Hardcover_9-120.jpg
Changes_Hardcover_106-120.jpg
gsCoverStore.jpg
cdcover_sm.jpg
skingame_lg-200x300.jpg

Next Books Title is: Peace Talks

Short Stories! Thanks Cimmerii for point them out because I always forget about them.

Short Stories for Dresden!

Don't forget the graphic novel! Mostly because I did because I am a fool!
h7935.jpg

4. Ok, sir, I have read the books and I am in your thread. What do you want me to do? I mean I am in love with Murphy but how will she ever love a neckbeard like me? What do I discuss in this thread?

-Well, hoss, this is where you talk about the books. Plots, theories, favorite characters and favorite moments. Ask questions about are the books good or which one is your favorite. If you could though hoss avoid the Mary Sue shit. It killed the last thread and many threads before this and we really don't want to bring a satellite down on yah. Also, use spoilers for major events or twist. If you are discussing the new book put everything in spoilers for the newest book, some folks gotta work for a livin'. For older books try to keep it to minor stuff unspoiled and major stuff spoiled. You may discuss relationships unspoiled, if and only if it isn't breaking any of the previous rules. And the same goes for speculatin'. Other than that enjoy the thread.

u7stthr17eud.png
Mazzyx on

• Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Reposting from [chat]:
    Is it just me, or is the foreshadowing too obvious when
    Odin gives Harry tea and cakes? I mean, there's no obvious connection, but they made a lot of him eating and drinking what Vadderung set before him, and nothing comes of it in the rest of the book.
    Relationships:
    Susan is dead, permanently. Luccio is not willing to get involved with anyone anymore, possibly especially Harry.
    I prefer Molly to Murphy (after Molly stops being his student, obviously) for one major reason, closely related to the one Murphy gave Harry at the hotel at SplatterCon!!!: magic. Specifically, Molly and Harry both use it, and Murphy doesn't; therefore, the two of them will live much longer than she does, and that sort of disparity is unhealthy for a relationship.
    Also,
    it seems ridiculously stupid for Harry to let someone else raise Maggie just because she's in danger by virtue of being his daughter. She's getting old enough for him to start teaching her to defend herself, and I think she'd prefer to know her father.

Captain Carrot on
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    How does this relate to they very short lived sci-fi series about this fellow? Like, any similarity or are the books way better?

override367 on
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Override, about the only part of the show that was similar were the character names. Oh and magic exist. The books blow the show out of the water by huge margins. I mean it is hard to even connect the two.

CC:
    Repost from [chat].
    I think it was a way he curried favor with the All Father. I mean he mentions it like 10 times how obsessed Odin is with the rules of hospitality. And that Harry takes the time to follow all of them really puts the Odin on his side. Though, I have this odd feeling was the womens voice was a Valkyrie. Just my thought.

Relationships:
    Yeah, Susan still I think was the light of Harry's life. Nothing will ever be the same without her. I am still not 100% sure with Luccio, I mean she does help him whenever she can. I think there is still something there just not what was when she was being mind screwed. But Molly? Really I mean she is like 30 years younger than Harry and the daughter of his best friend. Plus his apprentice, abuse of power there! I rather he would go for Murphy.

Last spoiler thing:
    Though his daughter probably is a mage, doesn't mean she is or is strong enough to be trained. Plus it doesn't kick in till puberty and with so many enemies who would abuse the relationship I can really see why he is doing it. Don't forget Mab owns him now, and is that someone you want near a kid? Actually are any Fae really something you want near a child?

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • rockmonkeyrockmonkey Little RockRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Reposting from [chat]:
    Is it just me, or is the foreshadowing too obvious when
    Odin gives Harry tea and cakes? I mean, there's no obvious connection, but they made a lot of him eating and drinking what Vadderung set before him, and nothing comes of it in the rest of the book.
    Relationships:
    Susan is dead, permanently. Luccio is not willing to get involved with anyone anymore, possibly especially Harry.
    I prefer Molly to Murphy (after Molly stops being his student, obviously) for one major reason, closely related to the one Murphy gave Harry at the hotel at SplatterCon!!!: magic. Specifically, Molly and Harry both use it, and Murphy doesn't; therefore, the two of them will live much longer than she does, and that sort of disparity is unhealthy for a relationship.
    Also,
    it seems ridiculously stupid for Harry to let someone else raise Maggie just because she's in danger by virtue of being his daughter. She's getting old enough for him to start teaching her to defend herself, and I think she'd prefer to know her father.

I have to agree with you all pretty much all of those points.
    I too thought something was coming besides the fact that Harry should be polite and accepting food and drink invokes a guest's rights of protection from the host.

I like molly the most out of the possible candidates, but I'm fine with him either not being engaged in any romance for the next book or finding a new flame all together. Like you said, Molly, but after she's no longer his student.

I really can't believe he's going to have Maggie raised by strangers and that he won't even know who/where. I can understand that if he's the winter knight that he couldn't raise her himslef, but it seems like even if he wasn't winter's knight that he wouldn't keep her. He lost EVERYTHING, but I kind of figured this would be a good opportunity for a more secure home base, something still close to other people and the portection that provides opposed to out in the country where no one will hear you scream (or your house being blown up), but also apart enough that he can get more security measures and maybe some early warning systems up.

Knowing Butcher Harry won't stay the winter knight forever, or it won't impact his life as much as we'd think. I can't imagine him giving Harry a daughter and then disappearing her, I have to believe Harry will raise her in some capacity. I also figure this is time for harry to upgrade his diggs, and mix up his bag or magical gear. New duster, staff, car.

rockmonkey on
    NEWrockzomb80.jpg
    edited May 2010
    You know I just thought of something...
    Maggie is in Forthill's protection at the moment. And out of all the houses that he knows and he knows Harry cares about what about going to Micheal? I mean Charity knows about magic and how to spot it since she had the gift. Micheal is the most awesome person ever. Plus it would be the family Harry could never provide, protection of the good lord himself seems to sit on the house and Harry can be involved that way, too.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Maggie is in Forthill's protection at the moment. And out of all the houses that he knows and he knows Harry cares about what about going to Micheal? I mean Charity knows about magic and how to spot it since she had the gift. Micheal is the most awesome person ever. Plus it would be the family Harry could never provide, protection of the good lord himself seems to sit on the house and Harry can be involved that way, too.
    Michael's retired though and I doubt Harry would ever even consider it. He'd think it would be placing the Carpenters in to much danger and he already feels bad for how much he drags them into trouble.

Also Molly is roughly 13 years younger than Harry not 30 some. A bit wide when they are early twenties/ mid-thirties. Less so when they are 145 and 158.

Z0re on
  • CimmeriiCimmerii SpaceOperaGhost Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    It's also worth mentioning there is a handful of short stories, which happen anywhere from pre-Storm Front to after Small Favor, and one from Thomas' point of view.

They are occasionally referenced, (the Billy and Georgia wedding fiasco, finding out Gard is a Valkyrie, and a few other things)

They are available at the author's site here.

Cimmerii on
    *Internally Screaming*
  • MorblitzMorblitz Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Morblitz wrote: »

I disagree,
    Harry cannot have anything to do with his daughter, because if people find out where she is or who she's with, a lot of people will be in danger. If Maggie went with Michael, sure, she'd be protected (as much as possible, given the circumstances, the good lord couldn't protect Michael from being crippled by machine guns) but Harry would still need to keep away from her, he can't be in her life, that's the point of the whole story. With his own daughter being so close, yet so far, it would kill him, so she has to be sent away.

It's all rendered moot by the ending of the book, anyway.

Morblitz on
    3DS Pokemon Y Friend Code: 0645 5780 8920
    Please shoot me a PM if you add me so I know to add you back.
  • Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Didn't this start out as Butcher punking his literature professor? Putting every idiotic trope and cliche of poor amateur writing into the originals?

Then, deciding that maybe the general idea wasn't so bad afterall, and reworking it to be a little less bad.

Apothe0sis on
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    Didn't this start out as Butcher punking his literature professor? Putting every idiotic trope and cliche of poor amateur writing into the originals?

Then, deciding that maybe the general idea wasn't so bad afterall, and reworking it to be a little less bad.

No it has stayed literally the same. Hell it even has *changes spoiler
    Ebenezar is Harry's GRANDFATER OH NOOOESSSS. Ebenezar is his mentor who looked out for him ALSO HIS GRANDPAPPY! And of course his vampire contact in the first books IS HIS HALF BROTHER. and then of course his half vampire exgirlfriend HAD HIS BABBY.

That all being said- it is a fun read because it is the most ridiculous thing ever. I <3 MAzzyx for making this thread because I was going to but was too lazy.

WARNING THIS NEXT BIT IS ME BITCHING ABOUT THE LATEST BOOK
    What the shit. That is basically it. That is the culmination of my bitching. Yay stupid cliffhanger after he gave up everything ever! And the aforementioned "I am your grandfather!" bit was lame as well.

Arch on
  • SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I've only read the first three (fourth is queued up on Kindle for reading), but I've enjoyed the books so far. They are quick reads, and rather enjoyable. And being able to get a 13-book series on Kindle makes my bookshelf happy.

I also queued up the first book in Butcher's fantasy series (the Fury books). There's an author's note where he says that the fantasy stuff is what he really likes to write, but the Dresden stuff pays his bills.

And I personally enjoyed the short-lived Sci-Fi series when it was on. It's obviously quite different.

Also, I didn't see it mentioned but there's a Dresden graphic novel, Welcome to the Jungle.
    http://www.amazon.com/Dresden-Files-Welcome-Jungle/dp/0345507460

Selner on
    edited May 2010
    Re: Winter Knight, note that
    since Harry has died, his service to Mab is over. Though I suspect she'll be awfully irritated about this. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Harry and Murphy have some version of a FWB deal after he comes back - not casual sex, but not a fully committed romantic relationship either.

Captain Carrot on
    edited May 2010
    since Harry has died, his service to Mab is over. Though I suspect she'll be awfully irritated about this. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Harry and Murphy have some version of a FWB deal after he comes back - not casual sex, but not a fully committed romantic relationship either.
    if he died how will he come back? So many other people have actually died that to allow HIM to live is silly. I mean I know he is the hero but it really fucks a lot up, to me at least.

Arch on
    edited May 2010
    Arch wrote: »
    if he died how will he come back? So many other people have actually died that to allow HIM to live is silly. I mean I know he is the hero but it really fucks a lot up, to me at least.

There's obvious foreshadowing
    with the tea and cakes Odin gave him. Plus, the light at the end of the tunnel turns out to be a train, so that process is obviously not going as normal. I mean, I'm not saying that he'll just spring back at the next book, healthy as a horse, but his story isn't done yet, and his stay in the afterlife won't last this time.

Captain Carrot on
  • shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I won't be able to read this until Amazon and Penguin make up and start selling kindle books again. It's really fucking annoying.

shadowane on
    edited May 2010

There's obvious foreshadowing
    with the tea and cakes Odin gave him. Plus, the light at the end of the tunnel turns out to be a train, so that process is obviously not going as normal. I mean, I'm not saying that he'll just spring back at the next book, healthy as a horse, but his story isn't done yet, and his stay in the afterlife won't last this time.
    Oh derp derp- Risen warrior in Odin's 'service' aka still working for the grey council.
    The train was Odin's valkyrie. They have kept up with the times :P

Arch on
    edited May 2010
    Basically- in regards to
    harry ever coming back to life, and how I feel it will affect the series

I trawled through the mess of the official forums and found this nice quote
    My point is that Harry coming back to life takes away a bit of the believability in the narrative universe. Harry's conflicts and struggles have been written well with his humanity firmly in mind, even accounting for the Wizardry magic. The series has had one foot in the surreal, and one in Real Life. He has naturally feared death, and his refusal (up to this novel perhaps) to compromise his own morality even in the face of it has been a driving theme in the series. It has always been an ever-present angle in the stories as a potential ultimate consequence to his actions. Now, if he can potentially cheat death, then his character takes a hit both when it comes to how well the audience can relate to him as a human being, and the potential consequences to his actions have to somehow invoke death as a viable spectre again, or have him worrying about other things rather then his own life as his primary motivation, both of which are rather tricky to pull off well.

I kind of like it, as it is exactly how I feel about this shit.

Arch on
    edited May 2010
    Also about that big spoiler
    The next book is titled Ghost Story so I'm thinking Harry is not going to just immediately spring back to life, I think there may be some sort of epic journey with him dead.

Plus I can't wait till Aftermath to see how his death affects everyone and if his body is recovered or not.

Plus the series is going to be 21-2 books with a final 'Apocalyptic Trilogy' to finish it off.

Z0re on
  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Maybe I should pick these up... they look interesting.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
    edited May 2010
    Basically- in regards to
    harry ever coming back to life, and how I feel it will affect the series

I trawled through the mess of the official forums and found this nice quote
    My point is that Harry coming back to life takes away a bit of the believability in the narrative universe. Harry's conflicts and struggles have been written well with his humanity firmly in mind, even accounting for the Wizardry magic. The series has had one foot in the surreal, and one in Real Life. He has naturally feared death, and his refusal (up to this novel perhaps) to compromise his own morality even in the face of it has been a driving theme in the series. It has always been an ever-present angle in the stories as a potential ultimate consequence to his actions. Now, if he can potentially cheat death, then his character takes a hit both when it comes to how well the audience can relate to him as a human being, and the potential consequences to his actions have to somehow invoke death as a viable spectre again, or have him worrying about other things rather then his own life as his primary motivation, both of which are rather tricky to pull off well.

I kind of like it, as it is exactly how I feel about this shit.

I think the first option in the last sentence makes the most sense.
    I don't see the tea and cakes being anything more than a one-time deal, and I'm betting to get them again he'd have to have a similar situation to the first time. So basically, he'll have to jump through some hoops to come back, and it'll be understood that next time he's gone for good.

Captain Carrot on
  • SolandraSolandra Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Z0re wrote: »
    Also about that big spoiler
    The next book is titled Ghost Story so I'm thinking Harry is not going to just immediately spring back to life, I think there may be some sort of epic journey with him dead.

Plus I can't wait till Aftermath to see how his death affects everyone and if his body is recovered or not.

Plus the series is going to be 21-2 books with a final 'Apocalyptic Trilogy' to finish it off.

Is this information from the official forums? I've skimmed Butcher's site (the Dresden portion at least), and didn't see any mention of future publications...

Solandra on
    edited May 2010
    MagicPrime wrote: »

I am thinking you should change your location

Arch on
  • jhunter46jhunter46 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Don't forget about Welcome to the Jungle. Picked it up and read it over the weekend. My wife is also into the series and this is the first graphic novel she's read!

jhunter46 on
    edited May 2010

How true.

MagicPrime on
    edited May 2010

How true.

:lol:

Arch on
  • Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    maybe
    he'll get wished back with the Dragon Balls!?

regarding the next book:
    Jim's dropped some hints here and there that Bob will be the 'main sidekick' of Ghost Story; so i imagine it's going to be him doing a sort of Ghost of Christmas ______ thing where he goes around but no one can see him. Harry Who Was, Harry Who Is, and Harry Who Might Be dun dun dunnn

Super Namicchi on
    edited May 2010
    maybe
    he'll get wished back with the Dragon Balls!?

regarding the next book:
    Jim's dropped some hints here and there that Bob will be the 'main sidekick' of Ghost Story; so i imagine it's going to be him doing a sort of Ghost of Christmas ______ thing where he goes around but no one can see him. Harry Who Was, Harry Who Is, and Harry Who Might Be dun dun dunnn

oh god that would be terrible

Arch on
    edited May 2010
    I am not certain about the next book but...
    Harry fell into the lake which because it is cold will slow the bleeding and give him more time. I figure it is more that he isn't dead yet but instead he just unconscious. I can see him being taken by the Valks but I am not really seeing it. I mean we know he was shot, he fell unconscious and is probably in the water. We don't know for certain if he is dead.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
    edited May 2010
    Harry fell into the lake which because it is cold will slow the bleeding and give him more time. I figure it is more that he isn't dead yet but instead he just unconscious. I can see him being taken by the Valks but I am not really seeing it. I mean we know he was shot, he fell unconscious and is probably in the water. We don't know for certain if he is dead.
    Butcher flat out said it in an interview

Arch on
    edited May 2010
    Butcher flat out said it in an interview
    I haven't read any interviews. My laziness means I just stick with the books themselves. But if he said that you can disregard what I said there.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
    edited May 2010
    Death is but a door, time is but a window. I'll be back.

MagicPrime on
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Dresden has
    ridden a zombie T-Rex, verbally sparred with Arch-Angels, Demons and DemiGods and taken on every Big Bad around. Coming back to life doesn't seem like its that big a stretch and I don't think its what breaks the believability camel's back. Especially since
    Thou shalt not reach beyond the borders of life.
    and the existence of necromancy implies its not entirely outside the realm of possibility.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
    edited May 2010
    PantsB wrote: »
    Dresden has
    ridden a zombie T-Rex, verbally sparred with Arch-Angels, Demons and DemiGods and taken on every Big Bad around. Coming back to life doesn't seem like its that big a stretch and I don't think its what breaks the believability camel's back. Especially since
    Thou shalt not reach beyond the borders of life.
    and the existence of necromancy implies its not entirely outside the realm of possibility.

And we all know
    Molly has a huge crush on him. Has broken the rules of magic before to do whats right. He has friends in the Summer court, is the winter knight and we have seen body swapping already. There are tons of ways that Dresden can be brought back that don't really fall out of place in this universe.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • CantideCantide Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Changes spoilers
    I'm guessing his inevitable resurrection will have something to do with, or at least take place at, that special island from Turncoat, which is why he had the premonition that it was going to be such an important place for him in his future.

Cantide on
  • mjn6172mjn6172 King of the Lurkers, also secretly a Freemason (shhhhh.) Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I think I said this in the other thread, but my theory regarding the end of Changes is
    It's all a plot by his crazy fairy godmother Lea. Either she wants to keep Harry all to herself, or she's using this as a chance to weaken Mab and try and conquer Winter again. Either way I think it's her voice he hears and she'll be essential in bringing him back.

mjn6172 on
    LORD, WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
    edited May 2010
    My theory about the end of Changes
    The person or persons who have been gunning for Harry the last few years finally got him. You know the one who smashed into his car in PG, blew up Murphy's car in WN, I forget what exactly they did in Turn Coat.

This way it didn't come out of nowhere because the last three books had someone make an attempt on Harry's life wholly unconnected to whatever the main plot was. It seems odd to drop that in this book unless the sniper shot was it.

Z0re on
  • ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Alternatively, it could be that the person who
    killed Harry was Fix, the Summer Knight. He did pull a gun on Harry before on the assumption that he had taken up Mab's offer. Him taking a preemptive shot at Harry before he gets on the job officially would make sense.

Archonex on
  • Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Cimmerii wrote: »
    It's also worth mentioning there is a handful of short stories, which happen anywhere from pre-Storm Front to after Small Favor, and one from Thomas' point of view.

The next book "Odd Jobs" supposedly collects all the short stories, with a new one.

I just finished re-reading the whole series up to Turn Coat. As soon as the Kindle Edition of "Changes" is available, I am catching up.

Professor Phobos on
  • LynxLynx Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Cimmerii wrote: »

The next book "Odd Jobs" supposedly collects all the short stories, with a new one.

I just finished re-reading the whole series up to Turn Coat. As soon as the Kindle Edition of "Changes" is available, I am catching up.

Side Jobs, actually. Comes out in November. It doesn't collect two of the short stories, though, so Butcher is going to write a few more so he can publish a Side Jobs 2, which would collect the rest.

Anyways, I'm just about to start reading Blood Rites. Summer Knight and Death Masks were awesome. Wish I could contribute to the Changes discussion, but still a ways off.

Lynx on
    edited May 2010
    Death Masks is awesome because it's a Michael heavy novel.

MagicPrime on