As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

From Zero to Hero-ic Age: Dark Reign is OVER, WE WON!

• Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    cshadow42 wrote: »
    At least in Siege:Secret Warriors
    Ares implied that he's died before and returned from it multiple times. So Ares will be back some day.
    Times of peace come and go but war is eternal

Psychotic One on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    THE HOOD!

:(

YESSSSSSSSS

Mind elaborating?

Kyougu on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Regarding Hood...
    Loki depowerd him and his crew during the battle with the Void and (apparently) gave the Norn stones to the heroes. Hood is currently shitting bricks in hiding.

I think the New Avengers Finale will be Hood's last stand.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Times of peace come and go but war is eternal
    In fact, as we all know, in the grim darkness of the far future, there is only war.

Delduwath on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Kyougu wrote: »
    THE HOOD!

YESSSSSSSSS

Mind elaborating?

3 words:
    eff the hood

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited April 2010
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    After reading the Siege tie-ins that came out today...
    seems that although Loki caused the siege of Asgard he didn't mean for the Sentry to completely destroy it. In both New and Mighty Avengers it shows Loki seemingly helping the heroes in the fight with the Void and in Thor he explains his motivations in more detail.

I think it's more likely that Loki is lying his ass off. In fact, you can pretty much assume that whenever Loki is saying a declarative sentence, it's either an outright lie or an incomplete truth.

Siege: Loki has shown that the guy is playing a different game than everyone else, by different rules than anyone else. I suspect that
    being exiled from Asgard was part of the plan; now he's not bound by Ragnarok, Hel, OR Asgard. I imagine that taking the Norn stones and giving the powers to the heroes (which, by the way, was the worst case of "tell, don't show" I've ever seen; there was no visual indication that I could see that the heroes now had bonus Norse-juice) plays into Loki's grand scheme. The "I do mischief because mischief is what I am; I have no other reason" line he fed Balder was Grade-A bullshit.

Delduwath on
  • Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    THE HOOD!

YESSSSSSSSS

Mind elaborating?

3 words:
    eff the hood
    I really hope it's Tigra who gets him in the end. She's just been gunning for that guy for so ong and he keeps slipping away at the last moment.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
    edited April 2010
    I could care less who does it

I just want him GONE

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, I would never ever ever take what loki says as true. That is why balder is dumb. He's basically the only villain where I will buy "Oh ho ho this was my plan all along"

Langly on
  • ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Delduwath wrote: »
    seems that although Loki caused the siege of Asgard he didn't mean for the Sentry to completely destroy it. In both New and Mighty Avengers it shows Loki seemingly helping the heroes in the fight with the Void and in Thor he explains his motivations in more detail.

I think it's more likely that Loki is lying his ass off. In fact, you can pretty much assume that whenever Loki is saying a declarative sentence, it's either an outright lie or an incomplete truth.

Siege: Loki has shown that the guy is playing a different game than everyone else, by different rules than anyone else. I suspect that
    being exiled from Asgard was part of the plan; now he's not bound by Ragnarok, Hel, OR Asgard. I imagine that taking the Norn stones and giving the powers to the heroes (which, by the way, was the worst case of "tell, don't show" I've ever seen; there was no visual indication that I could see that the heroes now had bonus Norse-juice) plays into Loki's grand scheme. The "I do mischief because mischief is what I am; I have no other reason" line he fed Balder was Grade-A bullshit.

Its pretty obvious that the show part will be in Siege 4. Though this did clarify what those art only pages from it that were previewed a few days ago were showing. the big splash of all the heroes fine with the energy around them was the norn stones boost occuring.

Also, It has been really interesting reading the Sentry and Sentry Reborn trades over the last few days. Seems even more obvious that Sentry is going to split from the Void and go kamikaze to finally destroy him in the end.

ManetherenWolf on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    As that is basically what he always does?

Wildcat on
    edited April 2010
    Its pretty obvious that the show part will be in Siege 4. Though this did clarify what those art only pages from it that were previewed a few days ago were showing. the big splash of all the heroes fine with the energy around them was the norn stones boost occuring.

Here's what I meant: the sequence of panels where this happens is something along these lines
    Panel: The Hood is shooting Norse power out of his gun.
    Panel: Loki is holding the Norn stones in his hands.
    Panel: The Hood going "Wha?"
    Panel: The heroes striking a pose straight of Charlie's Angels.
    Panel: The Hood going "Abloo abloo, the god of lies lied to me and took my power away and gave it to the heroes.

I guess you can interpret the heroes striking a pose (and yes, there were weird auras around them in that one panel) as them being powered up. But the progression went from "Loki has stones" to "ambiguous shot of the heroes" to "the Hood telling us something that we can't really see ourselves". That's the definition of "tell, not show".

It's just a minor annoyance. Maybe I'm overly-sensitive to this for some reason.

Delduwath on
  • Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Munch wrote: »
    Well, they're the ones that did it publicly. But a lot of heroes went against him pretty early on, including Tigra and the Avengers Resistance, War Machine, the Agents of Atlas, American Eagle (by keeping SHRA people off Navajo land), and I'm sure there's more I'm not thinking of.
    I just want to reiterate my man-crush on American Eagle. When he basically called Bullseye a pussy and then beat the crap out of him, I got a tear in my eye.

That's a character we need to see more of.

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You should have bought Marvel's Assistant-Sized Spectacular two-parter, and voted for an American Eagle one-shot on their website.

Now instead we get a story from Adam Warren about Galactus' daughter.

Which I'm sure will be fun, but still.

Munch on
    edited April 2010
    I am unashamed in voting for Galacta

unashamed

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    American Eagle needs to get his leg and arm cut off, and then he can see how it feels.

TexiKen on
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    TLB
    I didn't think you were capable of such a thing

Antimatter on
    edited April 2010
    how so

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I figured the art would repel you, for one

Antimatter on
    edited April 2010
    it is such a ridiculously dumb idea I had to see more of it

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Look

it was a rigged vote anyway, they already told Warren to do that story

Woodward & Berenstain Bears, people

This ain't over

TexiKen on
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Gonna buy that Galacta oneshot and mail one to all of you

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Oh, yes please CP, it'll save me from buying one.

Solar on
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Wait

I wasn't paying attention.

How can Galactus even have a daughter?

desc on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    He has a surprisingly small penis.

But it gets around just the same.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited April 2010
    Seriously, I'm a huge fan of Empowered, and am always glad to see Warren get more work, but man. It was between Galacta, D-Man, American Eagle, Mini Marvels, Elsa Bloodstone, and Luke Cage as written by Wyatt Cenac.

Galacta was like, dead last in my mind.

Munch on
  • psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    THE HOOD!

YESSSSSSSSS

Mind elaborating?

3 words:
    eff the hood

That's not elaborating, thats just restating. What exactly don't you like about the character, he kicks arse and he got a great mini written by Jeff Parker, what more do you want?

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    THE HOOD!

YESSSSSSSSS

Mind elaborating?

3 words:
    eff the hood

That's not elaborating, thats just restating. What exactly don't you like about the character, he kicks arse and he got a great mini written by Jeff Parker, what more do you want?

Him dead apparently.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
    edited May 2010
    My major problem with the Hood is that it seems like his powers change every few arcs. And that he's become a bit less of a character, and more of a prop to rally the villains and explain why they never stay in jail.

After Dark Reign, it'd be nice to see him in a mini or one-shot so that someone can clearly lay out his motivation going forward. The character's clearly heading for a major fall, and it'd be interesting to see what happens to him when he loses all the power he's fought to accumulate.

Munch on
  • psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'll give you that one, I'm guessing i've got a different perspective because the Avengers books always bore me, so i've never really been exposed to The Hood as the guy you wheel out when you need a random gang of B listers to be beaten up.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Seriously, I'm a huge fan of Empowered, and am always glad to see Warren get more work, but man. It was between Galacta, D-Man, American Eagle, Mini Marvels, Elsa Bloodstone, and Luke Cage as written by Wyatt Cenac.

Galacta was like, dead last in my mind.

Ffffffffff

I would've read a Luke Cage by Wyatt Cenac so hard. I am now dismayed to learn that this will not, in fact, happen.

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
    edited May 2010
    Well, he still did a story in Assistant Sized Spectacular #2. It was probably only like, eight to ten pages, but it still exists.

Honestly, Cage's story was one of the weaker ones, but I just thought it was kind of awesome to see Cenac writing a comic.

Munch on
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    My major problem with the Hood is that it seems like his powers change every few arcs.

That's my problem with most supernatural/magic characters in comic books. I don't mind it when they are off playing in their own corners of the universe, but it becomes a problem when you have people like the Hood or Zatanna mixing their ambiguities with standard superheroes who are defined by their limits.

Hensler on
  • DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Delduwath wrote: »

Regarding what Loki's aims are:
    He's exiled from Hel, meaning that even if he DOES die in Siege it won't have any lasting effect on him. One of his goals is to separate Asgard from the mortal world. Since he can't force Balder or Thor to do it, I think he wants to simply destroy Asgard outright and manipulate the Asgardians into rebuilding in more godly territory. By taking power back from the villains and empowering the heroes with the Norn stones, it not only looks like a symbol of how the Avengers first formed, but it also may influence them into not hammering Loki that hard after the Void is defeated.

Alternatively, he really IS telling people the truth, and really wants nothing more than mischief and chaos, and since half of the chaos that results is due to people NOT believing him, he still accomplishes his goals anyway. Hela's agreement with Loki merely lets him do so without permanent repercussions.

Darklyre on
    edited May 2010
    The Hood is just a magic kingpin who will never be as interesting as the kingpin and has a success rate about on par with Apocalypse

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    regular Kingpin wasn't that interesting either. He's kind of played out. Also? Almost all villains have a crappy success rate. They have to by necessity.

Furu on
  • cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I think the Hood had a good premise; a bad guy who showed some 'honor among thieves' and applied it in a smart way. The Hood's gang was regularly trouncing the Avengers, not the other way around. And at the end of the day, the Hood is still at large.

They just need to get his powers steadied. I think he was just fine when he was getting his powers from his Dormannu cloak. Too bad Dormannu screwed him over so easily.

cshadow42 on
    MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
    edited May 2010
    you know who else was always at large?

stilt-man

the hood is about as good a villain as stilt-man

may he rest in peace

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    But Stilt-Man is always large TLB, it's his nature

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hood's cool. The problem is that he doesn't get to be the protagonist and that he was a supporting villain for Dark Reign. That meant that he wasn't a driving force in the narrative, but rather a piece to be shuffled around and stretched to fit the demands of the story.

Robos A Go Go on