As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Gulf Coast Oil]: Spill, Baby Spill. Volunteer Info at the top of OP

• Options
    geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    The only good I can possibly see coming from this is a real push towards developing viable green alternative energy sources for the masses.

...I'm not holding my breath. :?

Yeah. The possible impact this will have on environmental politics is the only silver lining.

geckahn on
  • Options
    Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Drake wrote: »
    Do we know what these dispersants do to the environment and how they actually "break down oil" and to what the oil is broken down too?

The dispersants are a hydrocarbon based compound from what I understand. It's toxic too, and it just breaks the oil down into tiny droplets. It doesn't eradicate the oil or anything like that. It's a choice between toxicity on shore or toxicity in the sea. Also, it's a product made by the oil companies, that they sell to themselves and then claim as a tax write-off.

So really, we'll just end up eating the oil in any fish that survive afterwards and are caught... Man, it better add a great flavor to my Snapper.

Let's just purge open all of our off-shore drilling sites, have all of them dump oil into the seas, and then light fire to the oil in an uncontrolled setting. This will cause huge amounts of carbon dioxide in the air all at once, raising the temperature, as well as vicious smog clouds, AND we'll have destroyed the ocean along with giant areas of trash like the Great Pacific Garbage Patch, and the newly discovered Garbage Patch of the N. Atlantic!

Dignified Pauper on
    PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The only good I can possibly see coming from this is a real push towards developing viable green alternative energy sources for the masses.

...safety standards might get tightened?

That's a good thing that can come from this.

This is a thing that can make the US government and populace get the same attitude we have - that you should have such strict regulations that the oil companies feel it's just ridiculous

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    MKR wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be better to have it on the shore than in the water? I would think the ecosystem under the water is more important both ecologically and economically than anything living near the coast.

We have a very permeable aquifer in my region. I'd rather it didn't get on to shore because a lot of people around here still use wells for household water.

Drake on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Wouldn't it be better to have it on the shore than in the water? I would think the ecosystem under the water is more important both ecologically and economically than anything living near the coast.

We have a very permeable aquifer in my region. I'd rather it didn't get on to shore because a lot of people around here still use wells for household water.

I suppose the aquifer is kind of a big deal.

MKR on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Be careful, you might accidentally flood your entire fortress by digging into it.
    Oh wait, this isn't Dwarf Fortress Aquifers.

Dignified Pauper on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

I'm also concerned about the effect of dispersants. Really there just isn't much that anyone can do about it at this point. It's like using aggressive chemo and radiation therapy on a cancer patient before they become terminal, I guess.

Drake on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So apparently, according to CNN, some critics of the administration are calling the accident "Obama's Katrina". Motherfucking parallelism failure.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    Protein ShakesProtein Shakes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    A little outdated, but has some pretty scary numbers.

4562831333_87c9a05cc3_o.jpg

Protein Shakes on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    A ray of hope?

BP official: 'We've significantly cut the flow' of oil from damaged rig

Jeff Childs, a deputy incident commander for BP, said in a briefing with Alabama officials that the company successfully shut a set of hydraulic shears known as annular rams, helping to clamp the ruptured pipe and block the leaking oil.

No mention of how much this has reduced the flow, but that would be difficult to determine at the moment, I guess.

Drake on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    How are they even doing that work? Divers?

Edit - and I do actually want to be educated here, I'm curious about these sort of random facts.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    How are they even doing that work? Divers?

Edit - and I do actually want to be educated here, I'm curious about these sort of random facts.

Remote Operated Vehicles are being used to deploy the annular ram shears. I really hope that this is effective, although I can't see it being any kind of long term solution. Still if they can reduce the flow, that will make working at that depth easier to manage.

Drake on
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    wwtMask wrote: »
    So apparently, according to CNN, some critics of the administration are calling the accident "Obama's Katrina". Motherfucking parallelism failure.

I saw some quotes in a CNN article from people claiming that Obama is trying to make up for Katrina by coming down there and visiting. This seems a little odd since Katrina wasn't under his watch but I guess he could be trying to "make up for" the bush administration. ...Or he could just be doing what a president is supposed to be doing in a situation like this. LAWL.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    HOW DARE HE DO HIS JOB PROPERLY

all trying to make bush look bad

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Is the rig even a big concern relative to the leak from the well? I thought the rig only held 350,000 gallons at most.

MKR on
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yeah but hot on the heels of all this is news that he canceled his visit to the disaster area of New Jersey.

RedTide on
    RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    Darkchampion3dDarkchampion3d Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Too little too late. The majority of the booms are breaking due to weather.

Looks like the gulf is getting their own personal version of the exxon valdez

Darkchampion3d on
    Our country is now taking so steady a course as to show by what road it will pass to destruction, to wit: by consolidation of power first, and then corruption, its necessary consequence --Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    SolandraSolandra Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    It was noted earlier that BP was going to try to dodge the cleanup bill, but I found an article on NPR indicating otherwise. He acknowledges the early distribution of the $5K suit waiver offers, and says that was a mistake and that they've redirected away from that "standard" piece of paperwork.

Nothing said about the volunteer boats having to sign waivers to help clean up.

I'd like this to be the sort of world where BP actually does the right thing in terms of cleaning up the mess. I also want a pony.

Solandra on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Is the rig even a big concern relative to the leak from the well? I thought the rig only held 350,000 gallons at most.

I wish the article was more clear on that point. If all they did was stop the sunken rig from leaking then that's no big help. If they managed to close a leak on the riser itself then that's big news.

And yeah, I never really held any great hope for the containment booms to stay together. The wind has been nonstop for about a week now, causing some pretty rough seas.

edit: Looking over the article again the language seems to state that they haven't done anything with the riser itself, only slowing the flow from the sunken rig.

Drake on
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Give it a few more days to go down and its a long-term opportunity.

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

I wish the article was more clear on that point. If all they did was stop the sunken rig from leaking then that's no big help. If they managed to close a leak on the riser itself then that's big news.

And yeah, I never really held any great hope for the containment booms to stay together. The wind has been nonstop for about a week now, causing some pretty rough seas.

edit: Looking over the article again the language seems to state that they haven't done anything with the riser itself, only slowing the flow from the sunken rig.

01engineering_graphic-popup.jpg

Are the annular rams part of the annular preventer?

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/01/us/01engineering.html
    The blowout preventer also has systems for testing the various rams; a BP official said earlier in the week that the device had been tested 10 days before the accident.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/01/us/01spill.html makes it sound like the rams are related to the well head.

edit:
    http://www.fox10tv.com/dpp/news/gulf_oil_spill/bp-says-it-has-slowed-the-oil-leak
    MOBILE, Ala. (WALA) - Oil spill update: BP official Jeff Childs says the company has been able to deploy a ram that clamps around the drill pipe at the bottom of the Gulf of Mexico. Childs says that maneuver has slowed the flow of oil in and around the pipe.

“This morning, we were able to actuate the annular (ram), which clamps around the drill pipe, and shuts off flow in and around the drill pipe, and we’ve seen a noticeable reduction in the flow. That’s very good news, it means those rams are functioning,” explained Childs.

Childs says the company is still trying to activate a second ram, called a shear, which would stop the flow entirely.

Childs is a BP executive who is based in Alaska. He works with at least one person who was involved in the Exxon Valdez spill. That 1989 disaster was the worst spill on record, with more than 11 million barrels of crude released into Prince William Sound.

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Wiki says this about Blow Out Preventers.

After reading that, I have come to realize that the article I linked is filled with shit research. Like the fact that there are two types of BOP, annular and ram, but there isn't any such a thing as an annular ram.

Seems like we can infer that they are seeing some success activating the BOP at the wellhead. I really hope that is the case.

Drake on
  • Options
    galenbladegalenblade Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Dear Christ.

bzj89.jpg

galenblade on
    linksig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I don't know if those images are entirely accurate. I think that's an "estimate" of where the oil could be. But the spill does cover a lot of area.

Dignified Pauper on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Remember that the majority of the oil is still below the surface of the Gulf. Did ABC happen to mention what source of information they based that graphic on, Galenblade?

Drake on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    NOAA is constantly updating their map

edit: Their link system is silly goosery. Give me a moment to find the URL.
    edit: There we go

MKR on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    That link is borked MKR.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Fixed

2it3okx.png

MKR on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    http://twitter.com/Oil_Spill_2010
    http://twitter.com/lisapjackson

These were both linked by a site linked on the NOAA site, so I'm guessing the non-verified one is legit.

edit: Also useful: http://www.incidentnews.gov/incident/8220

MKR on
  • Options
    galenbladegalenblade Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Remember that the majority of the oil is still below the surface of the Gulf. Did ABC happen to mention what source of information they based that graphic on, Galenblade?

Don't know, pulled it off the internets, but MKR's link seems immeasurably better.

galenblade on
    linksig.jpg
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    geckahn wrote: »

Yeah. The possible impact this will have on environmental politics is the only silver lining.

Of course, that impact is likely to be negative because of the asinine Senate rules.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Rush Limbaugh reassured his audience today that this spill isn't a big deal. The salt water in the ocean will clear all this up in a few months.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    CNN Blog wrote:
    BP, now under federal scrutiny because of its role in the deadly Gulf of Mexico explosion and oil spill, is one of three finalists for a federal award honoring offshore oil companies for "outstanding safety and pollution prevention."

The winner of the award - chosen before the April 20 oil rig incident - was to be announced this coming Monday at a luncheon in Houston. But the U.S. Department of Interior this week postponed the awards ceremony, saying it needs to devote its resources to the ongoing situation resulting from the Deepwater Horizon oil rig explosion and fire.

:lol:

Link.

enc0re on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The things hookers and blow will get you...

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Rush Limbaugh reassured his audience today that this spill isn't a big deal. The salt water in the ocean will clear all this up in a few months.

I wonder what he'll say if it ends up in the Gulf Stream as predicted and washes up onto the island of Palm Beach, where he has a home.

SteevL on
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

01engineering_graphic-popup.jpg
    [/QUOTE]

In my ideal world, they would have begun construction on that relief well years ago. Just drill 75% of the way, thus making it a lot easier to dig through later on.

Maybe there's some sort of engineering reason not to do this. I really hope that it's not simply cost, however. Apparently the relief well will cost $100 M to complete, although I don't know how much it would cost to just start drilling in advance. Still, $100M is a small price to pay for extra insurance.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    Darkchampion3dDarkchampion3d Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    SteevL wrote: »

I wonder what he'll say if it ends up in the Gulf Stream as predicted and washes up onto the island of Palm Beach, where he has a home.

If Rush said it, it must be true!

What will he say in a few weeks after the Gulf Coast's beaches are covered in sludge?

Darkchampion3d on
    Our country is now taking so steady a course as to show by what road it will pass to destruction, to wit: by consolidation of power first, and then corruption, its necessary consequence --Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    SteevL wrote: »

If Rush said it, it must be true!

What will he say in a few weeks after the Gulf Coast's beaches are covered in sludge?

"Oh, you liberal hypocrites love a black president, but not a black pelican?"

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I work for a Vietnamese Newspaper in the Northwest. I think I'm going to start calling up local Seafood restaurants/vendors and ask them for their thoughts.

I don't think people are aware of the scope of this problem.
    We have a lot of Vietnamese shrimpers/fishermen down here. Their livelihoods are on those boats. And their families own the restaraunts the boats service. It's going to hit them really, really hard. It's sad, too, because they all worked so fuckin hard to establish themselves here for the last 40 years and have two/three generations tied up in those businesses. There ain't no way of fixing it, either. All the Vietnamese in the northern Gulf Coast can't exactly pick up and move the whole lot of themselves to North Carolina.

GungHo on
  • Options
    Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Inquiry: If it is the case that BP is going to be covering all cleanup costs, arent people that volunteer to help with the shore cleanup effort saving BP money?

Dr Mario Kart on
This discussion has been closed.