As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Things to do in DC [Solved]

2»

• Options
    NisiNisi Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    spacerobot wrote: »
    I have been stuck in D.C. for the past two weeks living out of a hotel with very little money and no vehicle. In the past two weeks i've visited nearly every free museum, and the Museum of Natural History was definitely the coolest so far.

Museum of Natural History is my favorite too :) I really liked the section with the insects.
    bowen wrote: »
    Also, the war memorial is in the mall area right?

The WWII and Vietnam Veterans Memorial are located in the mall. Between the Washington Monument and Lincoln Memorial.

Nisi on
  • Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Also, on Metro cards...

Don't put them near credit cards, magnets, CAC cards, cell phones, etc. I've had more than one die on me because it was near something a little too long.

And another +1 to Matchbox. Great pizza, bit of a wait but there is a bar right there so we just had a drink while we waited.

Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm definitily thinking about visiting Matchbox. Unfortunately I don't like chili so the chili spot is out.

Anymore good places to eat? Mostly non-fancy sit-downy types if possible, I don't want to have to drop $30 on a meal, I'd like some interesting eats or good places that have eat-out spots or eat outside spots.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    PirateJonPirateJon Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    MONEY! I forgot to say that DC is pricey pretty much everywhere (Water $3, etc) so be prepared. $30 on a meal for two is kinda par for the course especially if you grab a drink.

If it was my first time to DC I would probably skip the zoo, its nice but its not much different than other zoos in other cities, unless you really really want to see Pandas.

It's nice enough, but they're doing construction inside so the elephants for example are hard to see. If you do go, across the street is Zoo Bar - nice little dive, good food cheap, and tables outdoors. Can get crowded during the day.

PirateJon on
    all perfectionists are mediocre in their own eyes
  • Options
    CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Some stuff no one has mentioned yet, with notes:

- Library of Congress - This place is great, check it out.
    - National Archives - If your time is limited, just check out the major documents (Constitution, etc) and leave. There's some cool stuff in the rest of the place, but it's not any more interesting than stuff you can see in other museums (IMO).
    - Arlington Cemetery - If your time is limited, plan your trip beforehand. You can wander around for a long time here. Highlights are the Tomb of the Unknowns, the Kennedy Memorial, and the Arlington House.
    - Mount Vernon - Not free, and not directly on the rail system, but I understand there's a bus that goes there from the Huntington station. Why you want to go there is that it's part museum, part historical reenactment, and part monument. I really like it, personally.

CyberJackal on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    PirateJon wrote: »
    MONEY! I forgot to say that DC is pricey pretty much everywhere (Water $3, etc) so be prepared. $30 on a meal for two is kinda par for the course especially if you grab a drink.

If it was my first time to DC I would probably skip the zoo, its nice but its not much different than other zoos in other cities, unless you really really want to see Pandas.

It's nice enough, but they're doing construction inside so the elephants for example are hard to see. If you do go, across the street is Zoo Bar - nice little dive, good food cheap, and tables outdoors. Can get crowded during the day.

Yeah I had expected a little pricey, but going into a restaurant or food joint I'd not expect to be paying the same price for a bottle of water that I'd do at a vending machine in the middle of DC. But oh well, that's no biggy.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Yeah that's one of the crappy things about DC, even the cheap ethnic joints are really expensive.

Julia's Empanadas in DuPont is cheap, but the empanadas suck, so..

adytum on
  • Options
    PirateJonPirateJon Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Empanadas... Rockville... Dude.. go here:

http://www.elpatiointernational.com/

Cheap, delicious, out-door patio dining.

PirateJon on
    all perfectionists are mediocre in their own eyes
  • Options
    UncleChetUncleChet N00b Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    My thoughts on DC. Avoid the spy museum. I went, it just wasn't 20/person cool to me. There are much better sights to see and it's Very crowded on weekends. We waited close to an hour to get in.

Food: Ave H and I think 6th avenue is a part of chinatown. Down from this corner is an old chinese dude hand pulling noodles(!). This fascinates me and the food is Cheap/Good. I think for an order of dumplings and a large bowl of fresh noodle soup, it was 9 dollars. The noodles are a bit like udon and hell, they don't get much fresher than pulled and cut 10 minutes ago.

UncleChet on
    I'm sometimes grumpy and random, feel free to overlook the strange man in the corner.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Thanks for all the help guys, I'll let you know how the weekend went when I get back.

bowen on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I hope I'm not too late, but go to the Newseum. If you want one pricey meal, go to Bistro du Coin in Dupont. Kramer's Books is also a great place to eat, it's pretty well known as a cafe/bookstore with some DC flair. I would recommend eating at Ray's Hellburger, but I don't think you'll ever be near it and it's not worth going out of your way. Same goes for Lost Dog pizza.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Just FYI for anyone in the future. Trying to sight-see on 90 degree days with a humidity close to 100% is pretty hard to do.

It was fun all, thanks everyone.

bowen on
  • Options
    ransimransim Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Just FYI for anyone in the future. Trying to sight-see on 90 degree days with a humidity close to 100% is pretty hard to do.

Yeah, IE never visit DC in August.

Thats pretty much how it is all through August here. It fairly miserable right now though. Stupid swamp land.

ransim on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Yeah jesus christ.

Walking 100 or so yards than having to stop and sit was pretty terrible during midday.

bowen on
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    ransim wrote: »

Yeah, IE never visit DC in August.

Thats pretty much how it is all through August here. It fairly miserable right now though. Stupid swamp land.

We had like 5 beautiful days of spring weather this year, so you can't really complain. Now on to summer.

Glad you enjoyed it, Bowen. :^:

adytum on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Now, imagine that every day in that heat you travel via public transportation in a wool suit and tie.

It's the most wonderful time of the year!

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Now, imagine that every day in that heat you travel via public transportation in a wool suit and tie.

It's the most wonderful time of the year!

I'm happy to say the metro was really easy to navigate.

And also, nice and cool, the complete opposite of the outside.

bowen on