As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Recommend a hosted spam filter with Bayesian and source IP controls

FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARDinterior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
edited May 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm looking for a hosted spam filter service along the lines of Postini. (If you've worked in IT, you know the kind of service I mean - you point the MX record for mail.company.com to the spam filter, and then log into the spam filter's web-based admin console and have it deliver mail to the business's internal mail server.)

However, what I want is the admin (me) to have the following capabilities:

- Block mail senders by IP or IP range
- Be able to manually sort messages into "spam" or "not-spam" categories for Bayesian filtering (even if I have to log into a web-based console to do it).

I can easily set up an internally hosted SpamAssassin box to do both of these things and more, but that means (1) I have an extra box on-site, which is what I'm trying to avoid and (2) spam gets pulled down via the on-site broadband, cutting into the bandwidth available to users.

I can find services that offer IP blocking (though not all of them do) but none that give me any control at all over the Bayesian filters.

Does anybody have any recommendations?

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
Feral on

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    We use http://www.messagingarchitects.com/products/m-guardian-email-security.html at my university for all of the student and faculty email accounts. Not sure if that's what you want, but hey, worth a look.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    We use http://www.messagingarchitects.com/products/m-guardian-email-security.html at my university for all of the student and faculty email accounts. Not sure if that's what you want, but hey, worth a look.

This looks pretty hot, especially
    Strip and Store: Strips attachments from emails and stores them in a central repository, while providing file information and links to the attachments within the body of the email.

We sell Barracuda Message Archivers to do exactly this... to have it done by the hosted spam filter is sexy.

Edit: Hmmm, this isn't actually hosted. It's a boxed software product.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    We use Appriver. Not sure about the Bayesian stuff, but users simply forward their spam that makes it through to an address at Appriver and they use those emails to weigh spam. The users have access to a website to view their spam, and they get a daily email listing the spam. From the email or website they can request whitelistings. The admin controls approval for whitelisting requests (by domain or email address.) Also, Appriver will hold email up to 3 days if your server is unavailable (and notifies you via email, can be external/text address) and delivers it when the server returns to service. They have a free trial.

MXLogic is another we looked at, but they appear to have been acquired by McAfee. *shudder*

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I think we're going to give CudaMail a try.

Feral on