As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

BREAKING NEWS: Fat Kids, Shoes, Fat Kids Can't Enlist

• MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Skull Man wrote: »
    Melding wrote: »
    isn't tanning bad for your skin?

yeah but sex is good for it so it probably evens out

What id i get sex with untanned skin? Then would i have even better skin?

I suggest we promote GSL.

Melding on
  • HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    It is so nice to be in excellent shape guys

Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    no I'm saying you'd have MORE sex which would balance out look never mind

Skull Man on
  • FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Langly wrote: »
    Obesity really is a national problem though. I don't really know what you can do about it. I mean it's not like you can make people eat healthy food or exercise.

Start showing videos of open heart surgery and shit in highschool health classes. They have to like break through your sternum and move bones and shit out of the way its fucking disgusting.

Show these videos and be like "if you get fat you might have to have bypass surgery and this shit is going to happen to you"

scare the shit out of them

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    One thing that annoys me are shows that promote obesity. Like, stuff where the message is "plus sized models are pretty too!"

I mean, I'm not saying everyone should beat themselves to look like models (who are also often unhealthy), but saying "Oh yeah being obese is p coo guys don't hate" is just wrong. It's not ok! It's unhealthy and leads to multiple diseases.

It's like if we had programming now that talked about how awesome smoking two packs a day was (Mad Men el oh el)

Langly on
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    But i can get roughly the same amount of sex either way. plus sex doesn't cancel out skin cancer, which if you use real sun is an issue.

Specially for me cause skin cancer swims deep in my family.

Melding on
  • BackwardsnameBackwardsname __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    Obesity really is a national problem though. I don't really know what you can do about it. I mean it's not like you can make people eat healthy food or exercise.

FASCISM!

But seriously I mean good public policy really can help tremendously

Like, the farm bill. I am even OK subsidizing agribusiness because lord knows they're too politically powerful a lobby to not get a piece of something, but for god's sake can't we subsidize, like, organic produce or something? We'll still give you money, goddamnit, just grow more broccoli or oranges or some shit instead of poisoning our children with HFCS.

Also, car culture really fucks our health. Instating urban-growth boundaries, incentivizing mixed-use development, having lots of available public transit, -- these things encourage people to walk more and drive less.

The shit we feed our kids in schools is abominable. That's a pretty direct fix right there.

And hell, I mean really a small surtax on soda, or sugar-added food in general would probably help.

There's definitely stuff we can do at the policy level to fix this. It's just not happening in most places.

Backwardsname on
  • Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yaaaay journalism!

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
    edited May 2010
    fat but fit! is the biggest bullshit

Skull Man on
  • SkulloSkullo Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    skullo, eh

:winky:

Edit: Wow, what a totp.

Skullo on
  • Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Also stop all Fat is Beautiful campaigns for fuck's sake.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
  • Chompskers.Chompskers. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    except plus size models are usually just like

normal looking gals

I don't think I've ever seen obese size models

Chompskers. on
    The lastest of eff-emms.
    P: 1634 0144 0510
    HG: 5285 4128 5154
  • OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Re things to do:

We don't have to subsidize the crap out of corn and have such awful foods. High Fructose Corn Syrup doesn't have to be in EVERYTHING.

Back in HS, we had soda and candy all over the place. You could eat just those things at lunch. I did a lot, but I was stick thin.

OnTheLastCastle on
    edited May 2010
    oh my god this thread is moving fast and I just got pushed down a bunch

Chompskers. on
    The lastest of eff-emms.
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    PiptheFair on
  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    One thing that annoys me are shows that promote obesity. Like, stuff where the message is "plus sized models are pretty too!"

I mean, I'm not saying everyone should beat themselves to look like models (who are also often unhealthy), but saying "Oh yeah being obese is p coo guys don't hate" is just wrong. It's not ok! It's unhealthy and leads to multiple diseases.

It's like if we had programming now that talked about how awesome smoking two packs a day was (Mad Men el oh el)

Plus-sized modeling often begins at a size 8, which really isn't obese.

VisionOfClarity on
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    size 8 is pretty "average"

nowhere near obese

PiptheFair on
  • Ruby RhodRuby Rhod Multipass!Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Man, I'm glad I have an extremely high metabolism, otherwise I might have been bullied as a child.

Ruby Rhod on
    edited May 2010
    whitney-thompson-first-plus-size-americas-next-top-model.jpg

plus size

Chompskers. on
    The lastest of eff-emms.
    edited May 2010
    No, seriously though, shows like Tyra Banks and whatnot with the huuuuuuuuuge ladies going "Well I'm five times the size so I deserve five times the respect." can fuck themselves.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    except plus size models are usually just like

normal looking gals

I don't think I've ever seen obese size models

I didn't really mean plus sized models (although I have seen some that are overweight, but you are right), I really meant what VI was talking about. The Fat is Beautiful campaigns.

Langly on
  • CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Fat people as a whole I could care less about

But it's when I see fat people who have turned their kids into Baby Belugas that I start to get angry.

Families regularly coming into my old store with their waaaay overweight children, and then they buy them deep fried burritos, various Hostess products, and a bunch of candy. You are murdering your child!

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
    edited May 2010
    what the hell is fat is beautiful?

I have literally never heard of that

Chompskers. on
    The lastest of eff-emms.
  • HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

It's mostly a bunch of chubby chasers and life coaches

Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
    edited May 2010

FatandBeautiful.jpg

Hot

Ruby Rhod on
    edited May 2010

the real issue is fat but fit

people who claim that health risks arising from being overweight are a myth propagated by a "thincentric" society

Skull Man on
  • OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    DID YOU GUYS NOT NOTICE THE SUPER HERO STORY BECAUSE IT WAS AWEEEEESSSOOOOMMMMEEEEE!

Really, like, best thing I have heard in awhile.

I want to find this video of people arguing that being obese is not unhealthy and we should all just accept that they are beautiful too and stop staring. The girl who linked it on her facebook page thought those women were heroes though all I saw was some lack of understanding how a body works. The person linking it is even becoming a doctor and was writing a paper on how obesity horribly complicates pregnancy that I helped her out on... boggled my mind.

OnTheLastCastle on
    edited May 2010
    ok well

I mean there are people who are just genuinely bigger

which if fine

but people who make literally no effort to help themselves
    or especially help their children

that is the worst

Chompskers. on
    The lastest of eff-emms.
    edited May 2010
    DID YOU GUYS NOT NOTICE THE SUPER HERO STORY BECAUSE IT WAS AWEEEEESSSOOOOMMMMEEEEE!

I want to find this video of people arguing that being obese is not unhealthy and we should all just accept that they are beautiful too and stop staring. The girl who linked it on her facebook page thought those women were heroes though all I saw was some lack of understanding how a body works. The person linking it is even becoming a doctor and was writing a paper on how obesity horribly complicates pregnancy that I helped her out on... boggled my mind.

Yes, I saw. I'm a man though and can't let them see my happiness tears.

Ruby Rhod on
    edited May 2010
    thincentric

oh god

Chompskers. on
    The lastest of eff-emms.
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

people who claim that health risks arising from being overweight are a myth propagated by a "thincentric" society

what about the health risks of willful ignorance?

Javen on
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    if/when I have kids

gettin them enrolled in some kind of sport when they're young

engendering in them a love of physical activity and fitness is a top priority

shit like mcdonalds is gonna be a once a week, maybe thing

Abracadaniel on
    edited May 2010
    I wonder how much Healthcare costs would go down if there were a lot less obesity in America.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    edited May 2010
    Ruby Rhod wrote: »

Man, fuck that. Shit be straight up heartwarming

Javen on
  • SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    that superhero story is pretty rad like whoa

Squall on
    edited May 2010
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    if/when I have kids

My goal is to cook well/often enough where fast food/take out will never even be an issue.

Javen on
    edited May 2010
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    if/when I have kids

This is basically what my parents did to all of us. I was into karate and swimming and soccer, my sister was gymnastics and dancing and tennis and my little sister is running, dancing and tennis.

Let's see what my baby brother gets into.

(Also we very rarely had fastfood which made me :()

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    edited May 2010
    Javen wrote: »
    Ruby Rhod wrote: »

Man, fuck that. Shit be straight up heartwarming

You don't know what it's like to be bullied!

Ruby Rhod on
    edited May 2010
    thincentric

oh god

ok I made that word up but still

also that superhero thing, I remember that from a few years back, a little girl did it too right?

Skull Man on
    edited May 2010
    Javen wrote: »

what about the health risks of willful ignorance?

I found it: http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/FaceOff/

I can't link straight to the video for some reason, scroll down and it's the 3rd segment. "Is it OK to be fat?"

OnTheLastCastle on